Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 PM

Default PSCR trolling spread

Ok; my normal 15 rods spread for the spring must be cut down to 6 rods. I normally run 6 singles (2-6 ounces) off starbord board and 6 tandems (2/4 to 2/8 ounces) off the port board; with three deeper boat rods as well.
Because I can only have 6 rods out, I'm thinking I need to add more attraction to my spread. I don't normally run umbrella's, 6 packs, or daisy chains in the spring.
Now, with only three rods off each board, I can run any combination of the above.
I'm thinking, maybe a light daisy chain as rod #1 (farthest out), a six pack as rod #2, and a small umbrella as rod #3 on the starboard side.
On the port side, I can run the same hardware but with heavier lures to track deeper.
Give me your opinion on the spread. Would you run all umbrellas since the boards can handle them? I haven't had much success with 6 packs, have you?
By the time I figure out what's working and what's not, it will be the start of the season and I'll be back to my original spread.
I'll post what I have the most success with. 5th (Marty)
Old 02-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Ok; my normal 15 rods spread for the spring must be cut down to 6 rods. I normally run 6 singles (2-6 ounces) off starbord board and 6 tandems (2/4 to 2/8 ounces) off the port board; with three deeper boat rods as well.
Because I can only have 6 rods out, I'm thinking I need to add more attraction to my spread. I don't normally run umbrella's, 6 packs, or daisy chains in the spring.
Now, with only three rods off each board, I can run any combination of the above.
I'm thinking, maybe a light daisy chain as rod #1 (farthest out), a six pack as rod #2, and a small umbrella as rod #3 on the starboard side.
On the port side, I can run the same hardware but with heavier lures to track deeper.
Give me your opinion on the spread. Would you run all umbrellas since the boards can handle them? I haven't had much success with 6 packs, have you?
By the time I figure out what's working and what's not, it will be the start of the season and I'll be back to my original spread.

WHy disrupt the fish on the way to the spawning grounds, can't you just suck it up and wait until the season opens like the rest of us

Sorry Marty, couldnt resist, just wait till you post a pic
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldzilla View Post
WHy disrupt the fish on the way to the spawning grounds, can't you just suck it up and wait until the season opens like the rest of us
Sorry Marty, couldnt resist, just wait till you post a pic
Mark; I have already looked back through a ton of photo's from the past couple of years. I picked one showing a friend of mine (who was just learning to fish) who has the most bloody rock you have ever seen. He's not used to holding fish, so he has a death grip on it through the gills. Additionally, he was scared he was going to get myco so he's wearing those big white DRY gardening gloves that surely remove a lot of the protective fish slime.
Of course the fish went in the box because it was caught during the C/K season, but I'll post it on Tidalfish as if it was caught during the PSCR.
It will drive them nuts.
5th (Marty)

p.s. The MCBA will probably use the pic to ask for a reduction of only three rods for next PSCR.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:05 AM

Take the day and the whole spread out. Rotate the rods so only 6 are out at any one time. Take notes and you'll find what's hot soon enough.

As far as the "PHOTOS" photo shop eggs dripping out

TED
Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 AM

Default Trolling one rod for land lock rock in spring

Reservoir fishing has land lock rock fish up to 60lbs and very little fishing pressure. Most fisherman live line white perch and crappie for the big one's. The reservoir only allows electric motors, so there's no one pulling planer boards. I'm going to troll my new daisy chain w/ 3oz parachute up and back and also fish for musky and crappie.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM

I've been talking with a buddy about what he's gonna do. I think he is leaning towards this general plan:

1 board - 3 rods
1 way back - tandem that has worked
1 deep something (daisy chain maybe or umbrella)
1 "other", maybe a spoon out the back, maybe a 4th board, maybe another deep...see how the day goes.

I'll be interested to see what the regs say...wondering if there will be a possibility that they state we can't even carry more than 6 rods???? Just a thought.

cheers,

bob
Old 02-18-2010, 08:37 AM

I am going to run one board.

3-5oz solo chute
2/5 tandem
3/6 tandem
4/7 tandem

boat:
Umbrella with 20oz out 50-70' depending upon the thermocline
either another umbrella or a deep chute/21 tony tandem

When I go blue fishing though I am going troll 11 rods with an assortment of atomics, stretches, rebels, green machines, etc.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-18-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 AM

Tandems on one side singles on the other. Maybe switch out and put two deep lines out. Keep experimenting to see what works.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Mark; I have already looked back through a ton of photo's from the past couple of years. I picked one showing a friend of mine (who was just learning to fish) who has the most bloody rock you have ever seen. He's not used to holding fish, so he has a death grip on it through the gills. Additionally, he was scared he was going to get myco so he's wearing those big white DRY gardening gloves that surely remove a lot of the protective fish slime.
Of course the fish went in the box because it was caught during the C/K season, but I'll post it on Tidalfish as if it was caught during the PSCR.
It will drive them nuts.
5th (Marty)

p.s. The MCBA will probably use the pic to ask for a reduction of only three rods for next PSCR.
I'm going to post the photo of the infamous 8 inch striped bass with the 10 inch bkd in it's belly on the guided trip!!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:

I thought you weren’t going to molest fish this year? Or was that harass the fish.

Photo Shop pictures are going to be interesting.

I will have all of my rocket launchers filled with rods. I don’t know what I will be pulling. I don’t catch fish anyway.

5th Tuition, have you figured that ass thing out with the sassy shad?

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot