Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Default Saltwater Angler Registration Crap

I registered on December 23, haven't received my card yet.

Anybody else have this problem ???

Last year I received it within a week.....
Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM

I registered online and just printed it out.

I also saved it as a .pdf file so I can print replacement copies as I need them.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM

Here's the link I used:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/swregistry.asp
Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 PM

Why did you register? It's my understanding that IF you bought a saltwater license you are automaticly registered. If you have GUESTS on your boat and they DON'T have a fishing license (they are fishing on your boat sticker), they need to register.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Why did you register? It's my understanding that IF you bought a saltwater license you are automaticly registered. If you have GUESTS on your boat and they DON'T have a fishing license (they are fishing on your boat sticker), they need to register.
5th (Marty)
Marty I don't think that's correct. According to MD's site, you don't need to register with NOAA, but you still have to fill out the separate online registration (it's free, but your MD bay and coastal sport license doesn't "automatically" register you.

Quote:
Saltwater Angler Registry
New License Requirements For Maryland Anglers Go Into Effect January 1
Effective January 1, 2011, anglers who fish in Maryland will see significant changes to sportfishing license requirements. Enacted by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR), many of these changes are being implemented to allow the State to comply with Federal law calling for a national database of saltwater anglers.

•REGISTER NOW!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Marty I don't think that's correct. According to MD's site, you don't need to register with NOAA, but you still have to fill out the separate online registration (it's free, but your MD bay and coastal sport license doesn't "automatically" register you.
When I bought my Bay Sport License the ladt told me that I do not need to register for MD, but I would for Virginia or other states I fish. This was the DNR office in Bel Air, so now I am really confused.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:26 PM

I might not know if the Nav chip is faster than "insight"; but I do know you DON"T have to register if you bought a Md saltwater license.

Trust me on this one. If DNR wants to see your card, tell them to call me.

5th (Marty)
Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 AM

I think the registration is only if you are in the Potomac or other potentially "Maryland" waters not covered by the standard license.....

I pay the boat fee, the fresh water fee, the stamp fee, this fee, that fee, the other fee and still there are people gettting away with murdering thousands of pounds of stripers this year...Can somebody please tell me what these fees are going to ?

Perfect example: Wife lost front tag of truck, rookie state trooper gives her a ticket for $70.00...Help me understand how that ticket is keeping anyone safe...

Help me understand why I have all my safety supllies ready every year and I get pulled over a least a half a dozen times by the same DNR cops ? I can't tell you how many people I saw without proper equipment last year alone and somehow they are getting away with it ?

Even more...Why does the governors name have to be on everything ? It gets changed every few years anyway ? Crossing the bridge the other day and it says William Preston...Governor O'malley....No **** sherlock I live here I know who the govenor is....Why do I need to know who the govenor is while I am crossing a bridge anyway ? What safety does that provide ?

I need to get the boat in the water so I can complain about not catching fish and not all this crap...At least, on the boat, out on the water, it is relaxing (at least when I am not getting bothered by the DNR cops)......

Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
I might not know if the Nav chip is faster than "insight"; but I do know you DON"T have to register if you bought a Md saltwater license.

Trust me on this one. If DNR wants to see your card, tell them to call me.

5th (Marty)
I read the website again, and I still missed the part where it says my MD tidal license already registers me, but I saw this section, which makes the whole thing about as clear as the Magothy after a rainstorm:

Quote:
Welcome to Maryland Saltwater Angler Registry!
Please use this site to obtain your free annual registration if you are a Maryland or Potomac River saltwater angler who intends to fish:
1.On a boat with a current MD*, VA*, or PRFC* Pleasure Boat Decal (also known as the Consolidated Bay & Coastal Sport Boat License),and are not licensed individually;
2.On MD salt and tidal waters with any VA recreational saltwater license;
3.On MD salt and tidal waters as a waterfront property owner or family member from your private property;
4.From private property or an attached pier on the tidal Potomac River, as an owner or a non-licensed guest; or
5.At free fishing areas.

Anglers need not register with NOAA to comply with Registry requirements in Maryland and Potomac River waters. A MD/PRFC registration or individual license is all any saltwater angler needs to meet Registry requirements.
You do not need to use this site if you already possess an individual MD or PRFC ‘saltwater’ license, are under 16 years of age, are fishing on a commercial fishing pier; fishing on a licensed charter or head boat; fishing on a free fishing day or possess a valid commercial fishing license.If you intend to fish the salt and tidal waters of Virginia, please visit www.mrc.virginia.gov to register with Virginia.

To complete your registration:

1.Provide the Requested Information
2.Select Your Registration Year and Where You Intend to Fish
3.Hit Submit and Print your MD/PRFC Saltwater Angler Registration

Carry your MD/PRFC Saltwater Angler Registration with you while fishing as proof of compliance.

If you do not print your MD/PRFC Saltwater Angler Registration at time of submission, you will not be able to reprint in the future. If you experience difficulty using the Maryland Saltwater Angler Registry and need assistance, email us for a response during normal business hours.
So if you have a BOAT license, you need not register, but your guests will if they don't have an individual license. Which leads me to agree that an individual tidal license already registers you. And then I read it YET AGAIN and found the section that I put in bold above which seems to prove Marty is 100% correct.

I did the online registration anyway. It took 2 minutes and now I have something in my possesion that says I give a crap.

Yup, clear as mud, even for a smart pollock like me.

Last edited by Spot77; 02-17-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
I think the registration is only if you are in the Potomac or other potentially "Maryland" waters not covered by the standard license.....

I pay the boat fee, the fresh water fee, the stamp fee, this fee, that fee, the other fee and still there are people gettting away with murdering thousands of pounds of stripers this year...Can somebody please tell me what these fees are going to ?

Perfect example: Wife lost front tag of truck, rookie state trooper gives her a ticket for $70.00...Help me understand how that ticket is keeping anyone safe...

Help me understand why I have all my safety supllies ready every year and I get pulled over a least a half a dozen times by the same DNR cops ? I can't tell you how many people I saw without proper equipment last year alone and somehow they are getting away with it ?

Even more...Why does the governors name have to be on everything ? It gets changed every few years anyway ? Crossing the bridge the other day and it says William Preston...Governor O'malley....No **** sherlock I live here I know who the govenor is....Why do I need to know who the govenor is while I am crossing a bridge anyway ? What safety does that provide ?

I need to get the boat in the water so I can complain about not catching fish and not all this crap...At least, on the boat, out on the water, it is relaxing (at least when I am not getting bothered by the DNR cops)......

Seriously....I just want to fish. Let's see what the government gets from me so I can fish on my boat this year:

Fishing license: $42.50 (tidal, non tidal, trout stamp and crabbing)
Boat registration: $12 ($24 actually, but in fairness that's for 2 years)
Trailer registration: $20.50 ($51 for 2 years)
Gas tax: $28.20 (tax= 23.5 cents of every gallon and my little boat uses about 10 tanks of fuel, it's a 12 gallon tank)

I can't even realistically quantify the sales tax on 2 cycle oil, lures, ramp fees and obscene bridge tolls (Good grief...$9 to tow my little 15' boat across the bridge!)

$103.20 before adding in all of the extras from sales tax, tolls and incidentals.

For the pleasure of fishing, the state annually taxes me over $100.

Now I'm not really complaining about that too much; I know a lot of you fellas have it WAY worse than me, and I know a lot of the money we spend gets put back into things we use like boats ramps, etc.

It IS frustrating though to know that I play by the rules every year (as witnessed by this thread; we ALL are trying to play by the rules andfigure out this registration thing) and the financial burden always falls upon us while so many others simply ignore the laws, avoid paying for licenses and keep illegal fish. And while the state is pissing away so much money on trivial things.