Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2011, 05:52 PM

All of the illegal nets were removed by NRP and taken to Mattapeake along with the rock fish ( proceeds of a crime) This becomes property of the State (DNR) No need for any more speculation as the truth will be discovered in an investigation. This is a sad situation for all involved..........especially the rock fish...............Gary
Old 02-04-2011, 09:22 PM

see the video here by wbal

http://www.baltimoresun.com/videobet...Chesapeake-Bay

note that there are two videos back to back. The second one follows the first.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-04-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:57 AM

15,000 yards of illegal nets found last February according to the DNR in the video. Sounds like this problem is pretty big and not isolated. I do not remember hearing about this last year which makes me wonder.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockleyneck View Post
15,000 yards of illegal nets found last February according to the DNR in the video. Sounds like this problem is pretty big and not isolated. I do not remember hearing about this last year which makes me wonder.
That's exactly what I was thinking. 15,000 and no news "flashes" nor "big" catches.

My take - Either this was a set-up or the Striper population in the bay has drastically improved.

What's your take?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdCrappie View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. 15,000 and no news "flashes" nor "big" catches.

My take - Either this was a set-up or the Striper population in the bay has drastically improved.

What's your take?
I think these nets were set by rouge waterman. Last year it would seem that the DNR wanted to keep this quiet which is interesting. It would seem the DNR is taking a different tact with the publicity of what appears to be a widespread problem.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockleyneck View Post
If DNR had reported 15,000 yards of illegal nets found last February and they had as much media attention; do you think they could have passed the new PSCR restrictions?
Six rods, no stingers, crimped barbs, and originally calling for only 3 days allowed to fish; why the fishing community would have seen this as what it is; a rediculous proposal.
DNR has become very proficient at playing the political game. I don't trust them. NRP did a nice job finding the nets, but DNR decided on the best way to promote the illegal activity. Last year no news; this year full coverage, sounds political to me Mr Marty Gary.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Wish I was better at computer search.

Going from memory - I think there was a few news stories about the found gill nets from 2009 and also 2010. Seems it was in Sunpaper or Fisherman.

A few nets are found each year - this from DNR.

I'd guess the poachers set them and in 2-3 days , haul them up. Does not give DNR much time to find them.

I remember clearly on TF - maybe 3 years ago - guys posted GPS numbers for a sumberged net off radar screens at Ches. Beach. They hung up trolling gear and brought a piece of the net up.

Same thing in Potomac - up near #5 marker. Guys were snagging.

I think DNR went and got the nets up.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Last years busts made the news too.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...ck-hall-harbor

From the article:
Quote:
Officers seized approximately 16,500 yards of illegally anchored gill (approximately 55 nets) and 3,200 pounds of rockfish during the last week and half of February...
fyi: 16,500 yards = 9.375 miles of illegal nets last year in the last week and a half of Feb 2010 alone!

Heck, Dont forget even last fall there were busts:
http://www.mssa.net/newsarticles/roc...Nov25_2010.pdf

DNR press release on the reward for the current theives: http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/fisherie...ill-Net-Season

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-05-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
If DNR had reported 15,000 yards of illegal nets found last February and they had as much media attention; do you think they could have passed the new PSCR restrictions?
Six rods, no stingers, crimped barbs, and originally calling for only 3 days allowed to fish; why the fishing community would have seen this as what it is; a rediculous proposal.
DNR has become very proficient at playing the political game. I don't trust them. NRP did a nice job finding the nets, but DNR decided on the best way to promote the illegal activity. Last year no news; this year full coverage, sounds political to me Mr Marty Gary.
5th (Marty)
Marty, I love your passion/obsession with PSCR last year
I agree with you though, don't trust DNR, but don't trust MSSA or CCA either. No matter what they say, they will always do what's in their best interest.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:41 PM

DNR is pushing several Bills which give them increased, intrusive police powers which they currently don't have. Don't you think all of this publicity is happening for a reason? DNR's pushing all of the buttons they can to get a favorable result on their Bills. If they don't come up with somebody who is repsonsible for these nets, I'm going to start believing the conspiracy theories about DNR having a hand in it.