Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 01-03-2015, 05:23 PM

Default OC tog 1-2-15

I had the opportunity to get out on a 4 person make up charter for tog out of OC, on The Reef Chief. I've never caught a tog before and have always heard they are a challenge to catch and will frustrate any angler by stealing your bait without notice and hangs ups are common, so I was excited to give it a try.

The ocean was a little rougher than the predicted 5-10knts, but we continued on. As we passed Little Gull, we saw a few boats working the area for stripers, including a couple that were Chesapeake style bayboats. I don't recall seeing bayboats out of OC in the summer, so I guess the bay captains move the boats to the beach for the winter? I fished out of OC, two weeks ago for stripers, and the number of boats was crazy. It looked like opening day on the bay. Once we got into the bite with everyone else, it looked like the scene from Jaws, when all the boats are hunting for the shark. Most people just had boat rods, as all of our bites came off the bottom. At times we were passing other boats, rod tip to rod tip. This week, was a very different scene with only a few boats on the horizon. Capt. Chris, dropped anchor on the first spot, but it seemed we were not quite on top of the structure. He tried to pull anchor and reposition the boat, but found the windlass was slipping. Unfortunately for the mate, Dean, he was stuck all day pulling the anchor as Chris got us on the wrecks.

After we got reset, Chris showed us how to bait up and proceeded to catch the first fish of the day. After getting used to the subtle bites, everyone began to catch fish.

We had a good bite for most of the morning, until the tide slowed. Then Chris and Dean worked hard trying out different structures and getting us positioned to be in the right spots. We continued a slow pick throughout the rest of the trip.

We ended up with 15 keepers, but everyone caught at least double digit fish. The biggest one was 11.5 pounds.

Fortunately, I only lost 3-4 rigs. The trip was a blast and hope to get out again before the water gets too cold.

FYI- Earlier in the day, we saw the coast guard helicopter flying up and down the coast but closer to shore. On our way in, we got stopped by the Coast Guard about 4 miles off the beach. They noted the light tackle and lack of parachutes and guessed we were tog fishing. After a quick look in the cooler and check of paperwork, they were off. Glad to see them out there. It layed down nicely in the afternoon. We did see a couple of boats running past us north of OC, so not sure if there are still more fish coming down the coast. We marked a few big bait balls on the way back, but did not have time to check for fish mixed in. Two weeks ago, there was bait, birds and boats, all along the coast, but today it was pretty quiet.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:14 PM

Great report Mark. I love tog fishing. My dad is very proficient at it and I grew up doing it a lot off of S. Jersey. Green crab and sand flees were our go to bait. I wish I had the OCMD knowledge myself and was set up to do it. My dad always used grapples to get into the wrecks. I know some use two anchor systems. It is fun trying to keep those buck-tooth buggers out of the wreck. They fight nice and taste great too.

There was a bit of a ground swell yesterday first thing but it was a nice calm day overall. We were a bit south of the little gull.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:17 PM

Nice report Mark. Now tell me what they taste like

5th
Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 AM

Pretty work Mark!! That's a cooler full of yummy. (But not real pretty ). They ARE some rig stealing suckers so you did well by only losing a few. Way back when, I fished a couple times off the jetties of Indian River Inlet for tog. Never actually was able to land one so I'm ASSUMING they are yummy; all hearsay for me though.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:59 PM

Greg- The Reef Chief does use two anchors but with the windlass slipping, he decided to make do with the one anchor. I know the Jersey guys are big into Togging, not sure why there aren't more people in Md fishing for them. I think as the artificial reefs become populated, bottom fishing will gain more interest. The summer flounder fishing is fantastic. I have heard that people who dive these reefs, report that the amount of growth and life on them is exceeding expectations.

The dental work on those fish will definitely make you think twice about putting your thumb in their mouth. We had two small filets for dinner last night, and they were pretty good. Firm and very mild tasting. I am taking one of the big filets to my parent's house tomorrow, so I'll see how the taste differs when cooked Chinese style.