Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2012, 12:58 PM

Default So Nice to see " The Hill " Back

Out Sunday from 5 AM till 1. Danced the normal haunts, ended up in E BAY. To my pleasant surprise, EBAY was empty.. But the Hill was PACKED !!!!

Im guessing the Hill has been dead for six years. Various "theories" from Norm Bartletts over chumming theory creating a dead zone, to the more realistic, fish just move. Another example the Gooses replaced the Hill, and now the Gooses are as empty as my bank account.

It was just refreshing to see my childhood " go to" alive and well.. ANd producing fish up to 42"....

Sorry the charters from CB and Deale have to travel so far, but you do what you have to do.

I love jigging in front of all those live liners. Multiple " three poles" down, in front of all those guys, just makes me smile.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 AM

I'm a big fan of the "fish just move" theory, but there's a lot happening under the water that we can't see, even with all of the super fancy sonar stuff available now.

So you say it's been "dead" for about 6 years? When was TS Isabel? I think these big storms we get change the bottom so much that fish either dig it or they don't. And when the bottom changes, currents change, bait acts differently, etc.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 AM

I dunno.. I don;t think any hurricane or tropical storm has really change the topography of the Hill. I think the fishing pressure was extremely high and fish basically sought other haunts. Im sure there are multiply theories and perhaps all of them contributed to the demise of the Hill. I actually think Norm's theory has some validity, but he's just to radical about it. Its his way or the highway...

Anyway its nice to see it back....
Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
I dunno.. I don;t think any hurricane or tropical storm has really change the topography of the Hill. I think the fishing pressure was extremely high and fish basically sought other haunts. Im sure there are multiply theories and perhaps all of them contributed to the demise of the Hill. I actually think Norm's theory has some validity, but he's just to radical about it. Its his way or the highway...

Anyway its nice to see it back....
The Hill has been back for quite sometime. The secret finally has been let out.

The current through the area was changed with the Poplar Island build back. It took a couple of years for the fish to come back to the area.

I understand the studies have been done to reclaim more of Poplar Island on the north point. Don't know when the work will start but the hill will slow again because of it.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:59 AM

Reds I was hoping you;d add your two cents. And your comments make a lot of sense.

Whats your theory on why the Eastern side of the Bays water clarity and seemingly quality is superior to the western side ?

Brian
Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Default Hill

Fish move, there has been good fishing the last 5 years @ the Hill except for last year, where all the fresh and DIRTY water pushed the fish S where they stayed put. If you followed reports on both boards they settled outside of CB 2 months ago and then started there trek N. A nice pod of fish has set up at the hill but i see and have heard of several other nice pods of fish set up all N of the Gooses.When i caught up with them 4 weeks ago they were right outside the West in 35' and we jigged are arses off up to 35" and they were steadily moving N following the bait! Definately nice to have them in the upper middle bay! I remember the fleet setting up just outside of Thoms Point 5 or 6 years ago and everyone was catching
Old 07-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
Reds I was hoping you;d add your two cents. And your comments make a lot of sense.

Whats your theory on why the Eastern side of the Bays water clarity and seemingly quality is superior to the western side ?

Brian
Brian.

I've been working in Eastern Bay for a couple of months. The quality of the water has been up and down. Today it was down.

The difference between the west and eastern side has got to be the number of people, the sewage spills and runoff..
Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Well the word is definitely out. Fished there yesterday along with 25 or more other boats. Lots of charters there.

Everyone was bringing in fish, but not much of great size.

It was definitely fun though, and if you match the right size gear with the fish that are biting you can make it quite sporting.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Default good thread

Hi Guys, good to hear from you all.

good info. thx.
Hope that all are well. boss won't let me go out if over 90 degrees. hell gettin old.
go gettum.
Retired and trying to catch some big stripers