Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 PM

Default Lure Pricing

So we all have our favorite lures; the ones that you buy a small truckload of over your lifetime.

For me, fishing both tidal and non tidal waters, I can use a lot of the same lures in either water.

I've noticed a huge disparity in prices on some common lures sold by the "big" retailers.

For example, a Johnson's Beetlespin goes for 96 cents at Walmart.

Bass Pro: Was $1.29, and recently raised it to $1.49 I think.
Dick's: $1.69

And a local shop that I won't name was selling them for $2.99.

1/2 ounce Bill Lewis RatLtraps:
Walmart: $4.16
Dick's: $4.99
Bass Pro: ???? Can't remember
Local Shop: $6.99

I know Walmart bullies their vendors into some seriously discounted pricing, and I know the small shops don't get the volume discounts. I still use my local shop for most things as I apreciate the convenience of a 3 minute drive vs. a 30 minute drive to any of the "Big 3."

So my point isn't to ***** about pricing. I just thought it might be fun to post a few of our favorite lures and what they're going for locally and with the big stores. I respect most of you guys around here....well some of you.....at least a couple of you......, so I'd like to hear what your faves are and where I should buy them.

If I'm buying 3 or 4 RatLtraps and I know I don'tneed them for a few days....well I'll wait until I'm near one of the big stores and save myself an extra $6 to $8 or so....or maybe treat myself to an extra lure while I'm there.

I also use a LOT of Zoom 6" lizards and trick worms when I'm Largemouth and Pickerel Fishing....those always seem to be competitively priced among the big 3, and when Bass Pro is running their usual "25% off all Zom soft baits" sale I usually restock the bags pretty heavily.

And it goes without saying that I LOVE the winter time fishing flea markets and shows. I always spend a ton of money at these and I always have a great time. I think Garlien and I went to 3 or 4 this year.