Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 08:39 AM

Default Let's Talk About Electronic Copies of Fishing Licenses

So I know many or most here get the boat fishing licenses and that makes great sense when you have a decent boat that accomodates friends.

I buy my personal license every year because I fish from my kayak, shore or on others' boats quite often.

We purchase our licenses online, but then DNR policy states on the license that "this document is not valid unless signed in ink by the person named below and is the only acceptable form of the license."

HOWEVER......

it's 2018.

Paper is not the only form of media, and is likely far in the minority for document production and usage.

Electronic copies of documents are accepted in every major industry and even here in Maryland, an electronic copy of your auto proof of insurance is acceptable as a valid proof of insurance.

NOWHERE on the fishing license does it say that a signed, SCANNED copy is unacceptable. Nor does it say that a PAPER copy is the only acceptable form.

I've been keeping a digital copy of my license on my phone for years, but I've never had occasion to test my theory. Does anyone else do the same? Does anyone know of someone who has provided a digital copy of their license and had it accepted by a DNR officer?

Keeping paper copies of a fishing license while camping and kayak fishing for a week is f'ing stupid. What could possibly go wrong?

Why would the DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES continue to mandate use of a natural resource when an enviromentally friendlier alternative has been available for years?
Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:33 AM

Florida has so many types of liscences it’s mind boggling and you can keep all liscences and catch permits on cell phone for your conviance. Fumbling through a wallet looking for your liscences is bs. Not to mention if it gets wet.
I usually keep one copy on the boat and one in wallet. It’s time Maryland gets its act together and go electronic!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
Florida has so many types of liscences it’s mind boggling and you can keep all liscences and catch permits on cell phone for your conviance. Fumbling through a wallet looking for your liscences is bs. Not to mention if it gets wet.
I usually keep one copy on the boat and one in wallet. It’s time Maryland gets its act together and go electronic!
Thanks Mike, I 100% agree.

I've run through all of the usual objections to technology that I can think of and the benefits of at least having the choice to provide a digital copy when asked far outweigh the cons.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:29 PM

I like being able to buy a digital copy, then I can keep one on my phone, and print out several copies for boat, fishing backpack, etc. I would have to think if your paper copy was soaked and you show them the digital that all would be just fine.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:53 AM

I gather you're in Maryland. In Virginia there is a phone app (Go Virginia Outdoors or something) that has all your licenses right in the app. I know it works in VA but haven't tried it in MD under the reciprocal licenses. I do have a boat license but even that is on the app.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew S View Post
I like being able to buy a digital copy, then I can keep one on my phone, and print out several copies for boat, fishing backpack, etc. I would have to think if your paper copy was soaked and you show them the digital that all would be just fine.
I would hope that common sense would prevail but until proven and codified it it remains an archaic and wasteful inconvenience.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2fishcb View Post
I gather you're in Maryland. In Virginia there is a phone app (Go Virginia Outdoors or something) that has all your licenses right in the app. I know it works in VA but haven't tried it in MD under the reciprocal licenses. I do have a boat license but even that is on the app.
I am in MD but I've purchased VA non-res licences over the years.

I just got an email on May 1 from VA DGIF saying that they missed me....lol.

Included was a link to purchase my new licence online which took me to a very mobile friendly site.