Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 AM

Default Labor Day Fishing

So MIke and I made it out around 4:30 for some late Labor Day fun. Got to the marina, and the "oh ****" factor was spun up tight. AA County dive team, ambulances and DNR police everywhere. Not good.

Turns out a guy fell off of a sailboat around 12:30pm and they were still looking for him. As dusk approached, 2 helicopters and at least 6 DNR and coast guard boats were still searching. Trooper 1 lit up the water about 200 yards from where we were anchored around 8:15pm and we heard them on the VHF saying they spotted something reflective in the water. It was just a clam line marker.....

Anyway, the fishing was good. We landed about 9 or 10 decent Stripers before heading in. All in 14' of water or less using light tackle. Stopped at a favorite pier that is well lit to enjoy a little topwater action as the water was exploding with fish. Caught a ton of fish, but nothing of any size. Oh well, a little fun with the ultralights was just the right way to end the long weekend.

Hope everyone got to stretch their lines a little this weekend....supposed to rain most of this week I think.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:05 PM

I've been close to a couple of those missing person searches and they've left me with a bad feeling. The most recent one (this summer), a Coast Guard boat actually came up and asked if had seen a child in the water. I don't know what the end result was but the next day, I found nothing in the local paper or search of the news. I like to assume the kid had swum to shore; it was close to civilized shoreline so it doesn't seem unreasonable.

My fishing experience right now is that fish locations/feeding is changed/changing quickly. We're doing OK but the plan stays very flexible when we hit the water.

Congrats on some nice fishing. Casual early-Fall fishing close to home is pretty sweet.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Was a great time, always have a blast fishing with Scott...

Best parts of the night were:

* Getting a triple hook up at one time...

* Catching fish on 3 different of my home made lures

* Catching fish on the top water bite until we were just too tired to cast anymore...

Looks like its setting up to be a very good fall run....
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahuntr View Post
I've been close to a couple of those missing person searches and they've left me with a bad feeling. The most recent one (this summer), a Coast Guard boat actually came up and asked if had seen a child in the water. I don't know what the end result was but the next day, I found nothing in the local paper or search of the news. I like to assume the kid had swum to shore; it was close to civilized shoreline so it doesn't seem unreasonable.

My fishing experience right now is that fish locations/feeding is changed/changing quickly. We're doing OK but the plan stays very flexible when we hit the water.

Congrats on some nice fishing. Casual early-Fall fishing close to home is pretty sweet.

Wow....."Scuse' me sir.....you haven't seen a child begging for help, or maybe floating face down in the water, have you? No? Ok, enjoy your fishing."

You're right about fishing close to home......I'm so used to it that I'm sure I take it for granted. I live in a waterfront community with tons of options for fishing.....piers, shorelines, boats, kayaks. Heck I'm only a 5 minute drive to Sandy Point and a 15 minute boat ride to the bridge. I feel bad for the guys that are more land locked and have to drive 1 or 2 hours just to fish something bigger than a farm pond (which, by the way....I absolutely LOVE doing and if anyone wishes to grant me access to their farm pond I would be most appreciative!)

Yeah.....we have it pretty good here.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 AM

FWIW: Saw on TV the search was called off - missing person from a sailboat has not been found ( as of 9/5 ).

Report is - he was 27 from Philly , Pa. Fell over without life jacket. Woman he was with went over too but was pulled back in.

Coast Guard / DNR searched for two days but no luck finding his body.

Boaters are asked to keep look out. Likely he'll surface in a few days or be found up on shoreline.

Might be worth scanning tide lines carefully.

Not to be morbid but watch if you see a group of Vultures at water line on shore. They can really do a number on a body in short time.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM

They found the guy today. Didn't say where though. I'll have to look for a better article about it.