Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2010, 08:31 PM

Sorta off topic but related.

When I was shopping for boats - it surprised me how many larger boats only had a 10 to 15 gallon holding tank. Same size as 20 footers.

I'm not talking 25 footers - some were 35 feet long.

Now common sense would tell you that a 30 to 35 foot boat out all day with 5-6 people needs more then a 10 gallon tank. Since most will draw in a quart or so of bay water to rinse the bowl - it does not take long to overflow.
The same boat out overnight - figure some drinking going on - that tank is way undersized.

Other snag is how few and far between pump out stations are.

I used to take a small boat along the docks in Annapolis in early morning to dip crabs off the pilings. Was not uncommon to see turds/toilet paper near some of the huge live aboards. My guess - they pumped over during the night to empty the tank.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Sorta off topic but related.

When I was shopping for boats - it surprised me how many larger boats only had a 10 to 15 gallon holding tank. Same size as 20 footers.

I'm not talking 25 footers - some were 35 feet long.

Now common sense would tell you that a 30 to 35 foot boat out all day with 5-6 people needs more then a 10 gallon tank. Since most will draw in a quart or so of bay water to rinse the bowl - it does not take long to overflow.
The same boat out overnight - figure some drinking going on - that tank is way undersized.

Other snag is how few and far between pump out stations are.

I used to take a small boat along the docks in Annapolis in early morning to dip crabs off the pilings. Was not uncommon to see turds/toilet paper near some of the huge live aboards. My guess - they pumped over during the night to empty the tank.
I would think that when you were taking a small boat along the pilings in Annapolis, it was so long ago that the laws on pumping overboard didn't exist yet. Whatever was going on was legal for the times.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 PM

No human waste should be dumped in the bay period. We are all guilty of dumping pee bottles over the side and that should stop. I know I will not do it any more. Take it home and dump it in the toilet. EVERY little bit helps.......Gary
Old 02-20-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
No human waste should be dumped in the bay period. We are all guilty of dumping pee bottles over the side and that should stop. I know I will not do it any more. Take it home and dump it in the toilet. EVERY little bit helps.......Gary
If your house is on a municipal sewage system, where do you think the effluent is discharged?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
If your house is on a municipal sewage system, where do you think the effluent is discharged?
It really doesn't matter but I am on a well. The Municipal sewer system treats water much better than a boat.When you are in a fight , you want to attack from every angle to win. This is just one angle and it helps..........Gary
Old 02-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
It really doesn't matter but I am on a well. The Municipal sewer system treats water much better than a boat.When you are in a fight , you want to attack from every angle to win. This is just one angle and it helps..........Gary
Sorry to correct you, but most municipal sewer systems in the Chesapeake water shed do not treat sewage better then a type I sewage treatment system on a boat.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
Sorry to correct you, but most municipal sewer systems in the Chesapeake water shed do not treat sewage better then a type I sewage treatment system on a boat.
I can't argue on this matter as I don't have FACTS. I would have just assumed that a waste treatment plant would treat sewerage better than a boat system. Pretty sad if it doesn't and it would seem pretty hard not to let the boat systems dump IF that is the case.........Gary