Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Default Senate Bill 513...No Discharge in the Chesapeake

For those of you who have boats large enough to accommodate a head that is equipped with a Type One discharge system, Senate Bill 513 and the accompanying House Bill 1257 will make those units illegal to use in Maryland's portion of the Chesapeake Bay.

Type I and Type II Marine Sanitation Devices do a much better job of treating waste than most municipal waste treatment plants located on the Chesapeake.

For those of you who have smaller boats that have no head, use the bucket method and then a casual empty overboard, the maximum fine will be the same, Increased to $10,000.

I urge all to email your senator or delegate and express your opposition to these bills.

This link will show you your legislator.
http://www.ksconline.net/
Old 02-19-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
...Type I and Type II Marine Sanitation Devices do a much better job of treating waste than most municipal waste treatment plants located on the Chesapeake...
Reds, can you expand on this. I'm interested.
Cheers,
Bob
Old 02-19-2010, 01:57 PM

I say execute them I dont need to catch a brown trout

Old 02-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
I say execute them I dont need to catch a brown trout

GOOD LORD! Even I think it's unnecessary to put the picture of that guy making a Martin up on the website
Old 02-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Isn't the Bay already a designated no discharge zone requiring no discharge and a CG approved holding tank?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:50 PM

OMG ....... Lol That is hilarious

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 02-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conjuror View Post
Isn't the Bay already a designated no discharge zone requiring no discharge and a CG approved holding tank?
The Bay is a no discharge zone for untreated waste (including dumping your 5 gal bucket or hanging "junior" over the side). The Type I & II units treat the waste PRIOR to discharge, which is currently legal. This Bill changes all of that.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Guy View Post
Reds, can you expand on this. I'm interested.
Cheers,
Bob
Type I and Type II units are really miniature treatment plants that are used in larger boats. The proposed Senate and House Bills would make these units illegal and the only legal method would then be a holding tank that would have to be pumped out. One of the big problems would be trying to install a 20 or 25 gal holding tank in an existing vessel.

The bills are a feel good for the legislature and not a legitimate way to help the bay.

Last edited by reds; 02-19-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
Type I and Type II units are really miniature treatment plants that are used in larger boats....
OK, but I'd really like to know how they are better than treatment plants. Are solids broken down, by bacterial digestion for example? What about fecal coliform or chemical contaminants? Nitrogen removal?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Guy View Post
OK, but I'd really like to know how they are better than treatment plants. Are solids broken down, by bacterial digestion for example? What about fecal coliform or chemical contaminants? Nitrogen removal?
Thanks,
Bob
The units are and have been certified by the Coast Guard since 1975

Basically they work this way.

The Waste Treatment System macerates sewage and then uses electrically charged saltwater to kill bacteria.

After neutralizing bacteria, treated waste water turns back into salt water, with no unnatural or harmful chemicals entering the environment. Raritan designed the treatment tank to force bactericide and bacteria into direct contact, effectively killing viruses and bacteria.