Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Default Fishing Stocks (Formerly in NRP Checks Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat09 View Post
At about 1:30 pm on Monday May 27th (Menorial Day) near the green #1 at the Rhode/West, I turned around to see a Maryland DNR police boat approaching. “Hey Kate, I think that we’re getting pulled over!” I exclaimed as the patrol boat slowed and pulled alongside. The crew could obviously see that we had a current fishing license for the boat, and one of the officers asked us if we had any luck fishing. We told them of our success, and informed them that our catch was alive in our live well.

The officers motioned as if to show them our catch, so we invited them aboard to check. One of the officers came aboard, checked the live well to his satisfaction, and then proceeded to give us a safety inspection. We passed with flying colors, and the two officers were soon on their way. Before they left, I told them to catch the guys setting the illegal nets measuring in miles. It was good to see that the DNR was out enforcing the regulations; if we had more of that, the fish stocks might not be as decimated as they are.

The feds say the stock is not decimated. (refer to the ASMFC 2011 report on Striped Bass) http://www.asmfc.org/. But what do they know, they are only scientists.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
[/B]

The feds say the stock is not decimated. (refer to the ASMFC 2011 report on Striped Bass) http://www.asmfc.org/. But what do they know, they are only scientists.
Reds,
I don't believe what the Feds., or ASMFC say about the stock. I think they would lie to me to push their agenda (just like the IRS ).
I'm concerned what the people who fish for the stock have to say. What's your opinion. Do you think there are as many rockfish in the stock today as there were five years ago? I'm not trying to be a -ickhead. I am really interested in your response. I'm not even asking if the stock is in trouble; just if there are as many as in 2008-2009.
Marty
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM

Every Capt & Mate I know and work with claim they can't remember seeing so many 18-25" fish.

In my limited experience here, I haven't seen schoolies in this number since I started fishing the mid-Bay area.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Reds,
I don't believe what the Feds., or ASMFC say about the stock. I think they would lie to me to push their agenda (just like the IRS ).
I'm concerned what the people who fish for the stock have to say. What's your opinion. Do you think there are as many rockfish in the stock today as there were five years ago? I'm not trying to be a -ickhead. I am really interested in your response. I'm not even asking if the stock is in trouble; just if there are as many as in 2008-2009.
Marty
It doesn't matter if you believe whether the feds are right or believe the great white fishermen on Toilet Flush (who have an agenda) are right.

The feds have control of the Striped Bass stock and will continue to manage them as they see fit.

If you have proof from a scientific source that the Striped Bass are in trouble, please post the data.

I believe what you are hearing is the agenda to put commercial fishermen out of business. Lack of proof on a scientific study makes my belief even stronger.

I also believe that the hammering the Striped Bass are taking in the winter, down in Virginia and North Carolina by rec fishermen should be controlled, better.

Last edited by reds; 06-07-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
If you have proof from a scientific source that the Striped Bass are in trouble, please post the data.
Reds, I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm not trying to prove or disprove any of the "official" reports. My question goes to the fact that IF the population is smaller than it was 5 years ago (and I think it is) than maybe that's why some people are complaining about not catching this year.
I know 5 years ago, I couldn't get my full spread out before having my limit (trophy season).
Since they get hammered EVERYWHERE they go along the coast, I'm hoping the yoy index can keep up with the harvest.

Tawn,
You are correct, lots of 22- 25 inch fish in the midday. Last year, there was a ton of undersized fish, I hope these are the 17 inch guys from last year that have grown up

5th
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM

Default Hmmmm?

There does seem to be a nice stock of them this early summer but they will be hammered and most that follow agree the ocean stock is way down, just my 2 cents, time will always tell. FOr now I am going to enjoy the good resident rock fishing but try to keep to one fish per person on my boat. J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
Every Capt & Mate I know and work with claim they can't remember seeing so many 18-25" fish.

In my limited experience here, I haven't seen schoolies in this number since I started fishing the mid-Bay area.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM

Default Fishing Stocks (Formerly in NRP Checks Thread)

Moving the discussion to its own thread.....
Old 06-07-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Moving the discussion to its own thread.....
Thanks Scott; This board is not TF or THT and I don't want this thread to turn CBA into either of the other two

I was just trying to insert the premise that the YOY has been down for a couple of years (after one of the best YOY indexes ever), and that if the stocks are diminished (not going so far as to say they are in danger of being unsustainable), that this might result in people catching less fish than 5 years ago.
I wanted Reds professional opinion. Maybe he is seeing an increase that I'm missing. Trust me, I hope the stock is in better condition than it was 5 years ago. I'm looking for a respectable and responsible opinion from a Charter Captain who's on the water a lot more often than many of the posters on CBA.
I gave my opinion. That's all it is, an opinion. No science or data to back it up (just anecdotal evidence). If the stock has increased over the last 5 years, then I must be doing something wrong. I still get my fish, but work harder to get them than years past.
This isn't a Ban The Nets post. It's not a Ban Commercial Fishing post. It's not a Ban All Catch and Kill Tournaments. It's simply asking for an impression. Is rockfishing better or worse that 5 years ago?
5th (Whew)
Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 PM

IMHO - There are less Rockfish then 5 years ago.

Going by my logbook - the decline in catching for me started about 6 years ago and has steadily gone down each year.

I still catch Rockfish but have to put much more time / effort into it most trips.

2002 is what I consider the best year. Spring trolling often saw 25 to 50 big fish before noon. The summer bite was insane with many mid 30 inchers. Fall that year off Breezy was crazy - tandem bucktail rigs almost always got two at one time. Late fall / winter was just as good.

2003 and 2005 were also good - hard to believe how it has changed in last 6-7 years.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:37 AM

It couldn't be that the Striped Bass have changed their 'Habits" and how to catch them has changed?

It couldn't be that the Striped Bass have finally reached a level that the Bay can accommodate?

It couldn't be that the 2 per person limit of cows in other states is taking it's toll?

It can't be any of the above, so let's just do away with a user group and all will be well.