Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Noaa has revised rec catch estimates

Anybody run the query on NOAA's new rec catch estimates for Striped Bass in the Mid-Atlantic?

They revised the estimates all the way back to 2004. Here is the Query page for NOAA.

http://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/index.html

Last edited by reds; 02-04-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 AM

This is using the new method of counting rec fish harvest numbers. For the most part it lowers the numbers estimated.

I am curious to see how it pertains to striped bass especially since the stock target for over fishing is being increased to 36 metric tons over 30 metric tons. It is now estimated that striped bass will be classified as over fished by 2017. (5 years from now)

I am told that there could be a 15-20% reduction for the Chesapeake Bay motion to be made at the upcoming ASMFC meetings.
http://www.asmfc.org/meetings/winter...ementBoard.pdf

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-04-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
This is using the new method of counting rec fish harvest numbers. For the most part it lowers the numbers estimated.

I am curious to see how it pertains to striped bass especially since the stock target for over fishing is being increased to 36 metric tons over 30 metric tons. It is now estimated that striped bass will be classified as over fished by 2017. (5 years from now)

I am told that there could be a 15-20% reduction for the Chesapeake Bay motion to be made at the upcoming ASMFC meetings.
http://www.asmfc.org/meetings/winter...ementBoard.pdf
The estimated numbers should be lower.
Number of rec boat registrations are down.
Number of rec fishing licenses are down.
Number of Charter Bookings are down.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:45 AM

I was citing that rec. harvest numbers were down vs old methodology.

However, you are correct on your statements. I would love to see MCBA, MSSA, DNR and MD Dept of Tourism work together and advertise the fishing opportunities in the our states greatest resource. It would be one way to help our economy and state. I think programs like the MD fishing challenge are nice but they dont target non-current participants of fishing. While declines in recreational fishing industries are a product of the economy. They dont have to be IMHO.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
I was citing that rec. harvest numbers were down vs old methodology.

However, you are correct on your statements. I would love to see MCBA, MSSA, DNR and MD Dept of Tourism work together and advertise the fishing opportunities in the our states greatest resource. It would be one way to help our economy and state. I think programs like the MD fishing challenge are nice but they dont target non-current participants of fishing. While declines in recreational fishing industries are a product of the economy. They dont have to be IMHO.
I believe the Striped Bass Catch is up 3% in Maryland VS. MRFSS

And up a bunch in the adjoining states.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:12 PM

I must have looked at it wrong as I looked at a lot of things. I will look again when I get a chance. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:34 PM

Looking at it again shows some interesting stuff.

Just looking at Maryland, Over the last 3 years the catch in lbs on average has been over estimated by MRFSS compared to MRIP. However the catch in numbers was underestimated on average over the last 3 years by MRFSS. This means MRFSS over the last 3 years was over stating the weight per fish compared to MRIP.

This data is supposed to be more accurate. I am not a scientist or statitician to debate the merrits of either study compared to the other. However, it will be interesting to see how the new numbers are used to better manage the species and how state to state regulations could change based on the newer numbers.