Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2011, 09:01 AM

Default I'm in Japan; sort of

So my daughter, just loves Japan and everything associated with it. She is in a PhD program at U. Penn in Asian Studies and has lived in Japan for 8 months last year (during the earthquake and nuclear reactor meltdown). She has been studying in Japan, but is home now for this semester.
She has taken us away this weekend (Fri - Sun) to a B&B in the mountains of Virginia. It is a Japanese B&B on 175 acres of trees, meadows, and two ponds!!! I have been eating Japanese food with chopsticks, wearing Japanese clothing (Yukata), and slippers, and bathing in Japanese baths (sento).
Thank goodness I brought my fishing rod. I grabbed a bass rod and some bass lures before I headed out the door. Mostly a couple colors of #4 mepps spinners. What won't hit a mepps spinner? Last night I hit one of the ponds to "scope" it out. I was looking for dropoffs, deadwood, points, tree overhangs, etc. I made a few casts, but no takers. I had a few small fish follow my bait, but no big fish. We are going to hike the mountain today and later I will hit the other pond.
Time to get out of my Japanese clothes and back into jeans, duckboots, and sweatshirt. I hope the bass are bitting later today.
5th
Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 AM

That sounds like a lot of fun!

I'm glad your daughter made it through all of the disasters there. I can't imagine how worried you must've been.

If those are small ponds, try throwing an Arbogast popper (or any other topwater popper....those big Arbo's are just a favorite of mine) out there pretty much all day, but obviously morning and evening the most.

And if you tell me you're catching Largemouth bigger than 3 pounds I'll ask you for the info on that place. My wife and I love going to B and B's, especially the ones with nice farm ponds.

Oh, and pics too....