Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2011, 01:15 PM

Default Penn 309 repair

Last week, we were out trolling our Capt. John lures with spreader bars and I told Lou to let one of my Penn 309's out 10 bars with 10 ounces. When he finished, the line looked like it stretched from one side of the bay to the other.
I said "Lou, somethings wrong with that line". He said that when he was letting out line, the "bar" didn't seem to move as quickly as it should have. I took the rod and began winding it in. Sure enough, the line would spool in one area for a couple seconds before the bar moved. Eventually, it stopped moving altogether and the line just "balled up" in one spot.
I took the reel to Clyde's thinking the worm gear needed to be replaced. Billy (at Clyde's) looked it over and checked out the worm gear and said it looked ok, he opened up the reel and checked a plastic gear that he said has a tendency to loose some teeth. It looked ok as well. He said to leave it and pick it up in a few days.
I wanted it repaired because it's one of my "made in USA" 309's.
Well I just got it back, and it looks like a new reel. The shop was busy so he just handed me the reel and I paid at the register. $10 for fixing it, cleaning it and regreasing/oiling it like new.
Clyde's is close to me so I'm in there more than other tackle stores. They don't know me well enough to know my name, but well enough to know my face (no unruly comments). Billy and I always talk fishing, tackle, and lures.
I need to stop in and see Billy when the shop is less busy. If all it costs is $10 to get a reel taken apart, cleaned, and repacked; I may have to take some of my "working" reels in to be cleaned.
There was a thread recently about trying to patronize our local tackle stores because of lost revenue due to the weather, muddy water, and debris. I didn't need any more tackle, but this is another way to support local business.
Just thought I'd post in case anyone else has some abused reels that need some care.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Clyde's is a great shop and their knowledge of Penn reels is awesome.

Best part - they do not laugh at you if you bring in a box with the reel taken apart.

I've had reels fixed right on the counter. Guy disappears into the back for a few minutes and returns with the part. Then fixes it while I waited.

Think we all need to plan a trip or two to our local shops. Most of the last few weekends have been awful to them. If not rain - then winds.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:04 PM

+1 on Clyde's. Been going there for 20 years or more.

I always find some cool freshwater lures that don't seem to find their way to the shelves of the big stores.

I've always gotten decent bait there too.

I wish I lived closer, but since I work up that way often I stop in whenever I can.

Plus it's close to Howard's......(That's a nod to you Marty....we'll have to grab lunch there one day over the winter.)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Scott; ashamedly, I spend more money in Howard's than Clyde's.
5th
Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Scott; ashamedly, I spend more money in Howard's than Clyde's.
5th
Marty that's hard to do....Howard's ain't expensive.

My dad practically lives there. Tall bald guy with glasses about 70...usually sits next to the tv at the end of the bar closest to the windows.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:02 AM

Can't remember the guys name who owned Clyde's (Maybe it was Clyde?)in the 70's but he kept a boat at Queen Anne Marina. Nice guy.

Good deals on rod and reels back then.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 AM

Clyde's website:

http://home.comcast.net/~clydessportshop/home.html

Theres some great pics under their "wall of fame"