Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you going to buy a DNR or Potomac River License
DNR Consolidated Sport Boat License 12 80.00%
PRFC Sport Fishing License 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Default DNR's Boat Fishing License or Potomac River License

I saw Marty's post about struggling with (not) renewing his MSSA membership. I went through the same thought process as Marty, but for my own reasons came to a different conclusion. I was not as upset with MSSA as I was with CCA, so I have renewed my MSSA membership and will NOT be renewing my CCA membership. Now comes the tougher decision; buy another Consolidated Bay Sport Boat license from DNR, or get an equally valid license from the Potomac River Fisheries Commission http://www.prfc.state.va.us/sports/s...tm#reciprocity. My beef over the PSCR issue lands squarely with the DNR and all of the political BS used to severely restrict one of my favorite times of year.

I do not want this to kick off another PSCR debate...PLEASE! The purpose of this post is to find out how others feel about using this as an effective means to send DNR a message. If I go with the PRFC license, I intend to send DNR a letter informing them of my decision and why.

The decision by DNR to open this PSCR subject up for discussion was based solely on one very influential person telling DNR that he wanted the practice shut down. I was at the meeting when he made his views very clear. He didn't get what he wanted, but he came pretty damn close. I am not happy with DNR and have twice, over the past month, tried to place my order for one of their boat fishing licenses. Each time I have just closed the browser window and pushed the decision off. I have heard all of the reasons about DNR needing the funding, but WTF; are they more interested in protecting the fish or the commercial interests of this state. They didn't use a whole lot of funds to evaluate the merits of placing restrictions on PSCR, nor do I believe they will do much to evaluate the affects....Don
Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 PM

I kinda see it this way.....I fish the MD portion of the Chesapeake Bay, not VA, not the Potomac River. So I'll pay my money and continue to exercise my right to criticize decisions that I dislike made by DNR.

Kinda like voting.....if ya don't bother to go to the polls, dont expect me to listen to ya gripe, as far as I'm concerned you forfeited that right when ya didn't bother to vote.
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 01-28-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinsfishin View Post
Kinda like voting.....if ya don't bother to go to the polls, dont expect me to listen to ya gripe, as far as I'm concerned you forfeited that right when ya didn't bother to vote.
As a tax-paying MD resident, I will always have the right to gripe about DNR's actions.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM

i opted to buy a MD license because I want DNR to have the money to better enforce their laws. Had they shut down C&R I would have purchased a Potomac River license and hope that they wouldnt have the money to enforce the laws
Old 01-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Don; I already purchashed my Md boat license as well as a fresh water one too. I didn't even think about the Potomac license as an option.

I will say this; I'm glad that people are thinking about whom they support. It doesn't matter to me which way they decide to fall. Just don't follow the guy in front of you blindly.

When we see each other on the water, it doesn't matter whether you have a MD sticker, Potomac sticker, belong to MSSA, CCA, RFA, or tidalfish; we are all brothers in the fabulous sport of fishing.

Be true to your convictions. See you all on the water soon. I'm going to "harass" a lot of fish this year. I hope everyone has a great (and safe) year. 5th (Marty)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 01-28-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
I'm going to "harass" a lot of fish this year. 5th (Marty)
I will second that Marty

I have already bought the boat sticker for Maryland. I will not begrudge them the few dollars it cost. However, I am extremely disappointed in the amount of politics that goes into the so called fisheries management. More politics and money influence than management in my opinion. I will still give the process a chance and will continue to support DNR with my license fee for the moment.

To insure my voice is herd I am, or will be joining the CCA MSSA and continuing to write my local representation. I have also taken on the task of informing/ educating anyone who will listen at local tackle stores of my opinions about current state of fisheries management in Maryland. The word is getting out quick, and for the most part I find a lot of people are aware of what is going on. Pandora’s Box has been opened.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 01-29-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 PM

I bought the Md license - after some real thought on it.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 PM

I purchased a DNR license but as Skip said, gave it a lot of thought.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM

Default Prfc

Good afternoon to all,

I was dwelling on this issue 2- years ago but I am from VA. and after I compared where I can fish with a VA license to the PRFC license it was a no brainer for me. I know the VA. license has changed some of it's boundrys in the brackish waters last year I beleive... but the PRFC covers more water up in the Potomac River and creeks and I can still fish the Bay and Ocean. So I went with the PRFC license.

Russell
ALYTAY

Last edited by ALYTAY; 02-04-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: SP
Old 02-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Baldzilla

I bought the DNR License, and gave it absolutely no thought...I'm sure there are stupid issues on the Potomac just like there are here...