Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 PM

Default Is Mycobacteriosis Killing Stripers in the Bay?

I am a member of Stripers Forever (some other CBA members might be as well) and I just received an interesting email about an online 'Webinar' on Myco and I thought some others might be interested as well. Would like to post over on TF but don't need all of the BS remarks that would surely follow(hint ). I have copied and pasted the email below:

Stripers Forever members - an update on our Mycobacteriosis Initiative in collaboration with Dr. Wolfgang Vogelbein of the Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences: to date we have 55 donors to the program, and have raised $6,140 to research the effects of mycobacteriosis on striped bass in Chesapeake Bay.

Dr. Vogelbein will give an After Hours lecture on February 23, 2012, at 7 PM. titled "Is Mycobacteriosis killing Virginia's striped bass?" Here is a link to register to view the lecture online...http://www.vims.edu/public/afterhour...on/webinar.php
Our understanding is that an email will be sent for users to access the site as a guest on the day of the lecture or sometime shortly before. The lecture will also be posted on the VIMS website to view afterward.

For more information contact:
Jennifer S. Dillon
Associate Director of Development [email]jsdill@vims.edu[/email
Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Thanks Don. I don't know enough about it, so maybe jumping in as a guest is just what I need.

I DO know that so far, thank God I've never gotten sick from handling or eating any fish I've EVER caught in Md.

And I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:53 AM

Don, thanks for posting. I am interested to see what they are planning.

I don't know much about the disease, so hopefully this will provide some insight.

I wonder if the salinity of the bay water has anything to do with the spread of it. We had a huge influx of fresh water last year will this increase or decrease the occurrence, or spread.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Keep your eyes open if you catch a Rock with a green tag. That is from VIMS and part of the Myco study. They tag both sick and healthy Rock.

You can keep the Rock even if you have your limit - they will meet you to pick it up.

My son caught one but we did not know they wanted the fish. Luckily - took a few photos of it. The one we had was OK - had about 6-7 tiny red dots on it.

Spoke with Wolfgang - guy is really easy going - when tagged a year earlier, the fish was clean.

Myco has been reported in many areas of the bay but it seems worse from Baltimore to Chesapeake Beach - right where water salinity changes the most.

I've caught Rock that were full of sores and skinny - very doubtful a fish in that condition would live much longer.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Default Reminder

William & Mary - Va Institute of Marine Science Webinar is Tonight at 7PM...Just received my reminder email. For those interested:

Mycobacteriosis After Hours Lecture
Join the session at 6:50pm by clicking here: http://vims.adobeconnect.com/afterhours or copy and paste http://vims.adobeconnect.com/afterhours into your web browser. Once there please login by choosing “enter as guest.”

You will be able to ask questions through the chat box at the end of the lecture.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
William & Mary - Va Institute of Marine Science Webinar is Tonight at 7PM...Just received my reminder email. For those interested:

Mycobacteriosis After Hours Lecture
Join the session at 6:50pm by clicking here: http://vims.adobeconnect.com/afterhours or copy and paste http://vims.adobeconnect.com/afterhours into your web browser. Once there please login by choosing “enter as guest.”

You will be able to ask questions through the chat box at the end of the lecture.
Were you able to participate?

I didn't get home until well after 9:00pm
Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Were you able to participate?

I didn't get home until well after 9:00pm
I did not and I am so pissed. We had an intermittent internet outage with Comcast that started about 5 pm. Ended up going out....no computer no TV ...Was anyone else able to participate?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
I did not and I am so pissed. We had an intermittent internet outage with Comcast that started about 5 pm. Ended up going out....no computer no TV ...Was anyone else able to participate?
I know Comcast has a lot of issues in the more heavily popolared areas, but I thought they were considered more reliable further into the rural areas.

Maybe the gnarly winds we've been having did more than just keep everyone's boats on land.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 AM

For those curious about the disease, the MD DNR has a lot of info on their website at http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/i...ass_health.asp

Copied and pasted here since it is public information:

MYCOBACTERIA AND STRIPED BASS (ROCKFISH)
What is fish mycobacteria?Mycobacteriosis is an infectious disease caused by bacteria in the genus mycobacterium. These species of “marine mycobacteria” such as mycobacterium marinum and chelonae are ubiquitous in the environment. Newly identified species such as mycobacterium chesapeaki and schottsii have only been described from the Chesapeake Bay. At least 10 species of mycobacteria have been isolated from striped bass lesions.
How does mycobacteriosis affect fish?
Mycobacteriosis is a bacterial infection that results in inflammation, tissue destruction and formation of scar tissue in one or more organs. Signs of infection are first noted in internal organs such as the spleen and kidney. Nodules (called granulomas) composed of inflammatory cells and fibrous connective tissue form in response to the bacteria in an attempt to stop the infection. An increase in the number and size of granulomas leads to the formation of extensive scar tissue and eventual loss of normal tissue architecture. This disease progresses slowly in fish and has been characterized as a “wasting disease” due to loss of body mass and emaciation. It is not known how many fish die or if any fish recover from this disease in the Chesapeake Bay.

Are the signs of mycobacteriosis in fish always externally visible?No. Mycobacteriosis in fish is generally first found in internal organs. In mild cases of this disease signs of infection may only be evident microscopically. As the disease progresses additional internal organs may show signs of disease. In severe cases virtually all organs and tissue are affected including the skin and muscle. Mycobacteria have been isolated from young-of-year striped bass but no visible signs of disease have been found. Infected 1- and 2-year-old fish typically exhibit mild to moderate signs of the bacteria. However 3- to 5-year-old fish have the highest incidence of mycobacteriosis, and occasionally exhibit severe infections, including emaciation and scar tissue formation on the skin. It is important to note that striped bass are susceptible to other viral, bacterial and parasitic infections; therefore not all striped bass with lesions on the skin have mycobacteriosis.

How many fish are affected ?The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and Maryland Department of Agriculture's Animal Health Laboratory at College Park first diagnosed mycobacteriosis in the Chesapeake Bay in 1997. This prompted a Bay-wide striped bass health assessment survey that continues today.

Currently, DNR surveys indicate that as many as 60 percent of striped bass in the Chesapeake Bay have this disease. This infection rate has more than doubled since 1998 when this survey began. Fish are probably exposed to these bacteria early in life with infection rates increasing with age: 11 percent in 1-year-olds and 60 percent in 3- to 5-year-olds. Differences in reported prevalence of mycobacteriosis may be due to variation in diagnostic techniques employed.

Is mycobacteriosis specific to a certain region of the Bay?No differences in infection rates have been detected between males or females; between the upper, middle and lower Chesapeake Bay; or between fish caught from pound nets vs. those captured by hook and line.

Are certain species more prone to mycobacteriosis?
Mycobacteriosis has been documented in more than 160 species of fresh and saltwater fish worldwide. However, there is no evidence that mycobacteriosis is common in any Chesapeake Bay species other than striped bass. In 2001 surveys were conducted with white and yellow perch and so far no fish were found with the disease. Additional species will be added to this survey in the future.

What is the DNR doing about mycobacteriosis?DNR, along with state and federal partners, initiated a health survey of striped bass in 1998. This general health survey involved collections of striped bass from the lower, middle and upper Chesapeake Bay including numerous tributaries, and was designed to identify problems in the population. Complete examinations were performed on these fish and samples were processed for microbiology (pathogen identification), histopathology (visible signs of disease at the cellular level), nutritional status and parasite load. Results indicated that the disease of concern was mycobacteriosis and that the infection rates were rising. In addition to mycobacteriosis, resident fish also exhibited ulcers or areas of hemorrhage on the skin, termed "ulcerative dermatitis syndrome" or UDS.

Starting in 2003, DNR and its partners began a more detailed study of mycobacteriosis in striped bass, involving younger age classes of resident fish as well as migratory fish. Fish from all areas of the Bay are being examined. Experiments are underway to determine how this disease is transmitted to fish. In addition, fisheries managers are taking a close look at the population structure to determine what population level affects may be evident. DNR and its partners (NOAA, USGS, VIMS and UMD) are currently planning a conference to discuss current state of knowledge and future research concerning mycobacteriosis.

Chesapeake striped bass migrate from Maine to North Carolina and their catch is controlled by very tight quotas in the Atlantic states. Population numbers remain high, and to date, scientific analyses have not shown an increase in the number of stripers dying of natural causes; any kind of disease would be considered a natural cause. Fisheries managers in all the coastal states are continually monitoring catches and collecting data that would detect an increase in mortality associated with mycobacteriosis.

HUMAN HEALTH CONCERNS ASSOCIATED WITH MYCOBACTERIA
Can humans get mycobacteria?Yes. mycobacteriosis is zoonotic, which means it can be transmitted to humans. Mycobacteriosis is also called "fish handler's disease" because of cases involving people associated with fish hatcheries, aquaculture facilities and the aquarium industry.

How are humans affected?Infections in human are generally limited to the extremities such as fingertips and feet, but may involve the joints, bones and lymph nodes. Individuals with cuts or scrapes are at higher risk for infection. The most frequent symptom is the formation of a persistent bump or nodule under the skin. Additional symptoms may include the formation of ulcers, swelling of lymph nodes and joint pain. This disease can be treated with antibiotics. A health care provider should be contacted if any of the above symptoms develop following direct skin contact with fresh or salt water or after handling or processing fish. If you have any questions or general concerns, please contact a health care provider.

How can anglers and fish handlers protect themselves?Individuals that handle striped bass should wear heavy gloves (made of leather of heavy cotton) and boots to avoid puncture wounds from fish spines, and wash hands thoroughly after handling or processing striped bass. Open cuts or scrapes on hands and arms should be thoroughly cleansed and bandaged. Again, this disease can be treated with antibiotics, and any persons with questions or concerns should contact a physician.

FISH PREPARATION AND CONSUMPTION
Can I get mycobacteria from eating a “tainted” rockfish?
A recent check of the published medical studies on this kind of infection in human beings shows that eating properly prepared and cooked rockfish has not been associated with human mycobacterial illness. DHMH recommends that people not consume any raw rockfish or any fish that appears diseased.

Should I be concerned about preparing rockfish? No. Use common sense when preparing your fish fillet. Fish with open, reddened lesions on the body or with signs of hemorrhage or darkened patches in the fillets should be discarded. Fish that appear to be healthy and are properly cooked are safe to eat. DHMH recommends that people not consume any raw rockfish or any fish that appears diseased.

While handling an infected rockfish, especially if the skin is cut or scraped, can lead to skin infections, simple hygiene precautions can prevent this.

Should I be concerned when handling raw fish?When handling any type of fish, use a few practical and simple precautions:

If cuts, scrapes or other open or inflamed areas of the skin are present, cover hands and wrists with an impermeable barrier (like a rubber or vinyl glove) to prevent any bacteria from getting into the soft tissue under the skin where mycobacterium marinum organisms are known to cause infections.

Dispose of any leftover fish parts after preparing raw fish. Wash off all cutting boards, surfaces, knives and other utensils used to process raw fish with warm soapy water and rinse thoroughly.

Stop any infections early. If red, itchy or ulcerated bumps appear on the skin -- especially on the hands and forearms -- after processing or handling fish, contact a health care provider. Those with underlying medical problems, including a weakened immune system, should also contact a health care provider.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 AM

I tried to emulate the format from the website when I pasted it so it should be easy to read.

2 Highlights worth noting: The disease seems to only common to Rockfish in the bay. No Yellow Perch or White Perch tested have been found with the infection.

It's easily treated in humans with antibiotics. For those of us prone to poking holes in ourselves while on the water this is good news.