Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 PM

Default drip, drip, drip

Well; for me, and many other people, the rock fishing above the bridge has been a huge disappointment this year. Soooo; I pulled the boat out of the wet slip on Bodkin Creek and put it on the trailer so the run for spot at Hacketts wouldn't take so long. Our fishing at the bridge has been very productive, and trips south from Chesapeake Beach as well.

While the boat sat in the driveway, I noticed a small puddle stain under the motor. The motor was in the up (trailering) position and there was a constant drop of liquid on the tip of the motor at the lowest point. When the drip was touched by the finger, a dark thin oily substance was found.

I kept debating as to whether this was significant or not. It wasn't a steady drip, but a constant drop was visable even on the hottest days when I thought evaporation would make it dry.

I finally pulled the bottom lower unit plug to check to make sure it wasn't "milky" (a sign that water was in the lower unit). Out came pure black fluid. I quickly replaced the plug and decided to take it to my mechanic.

I called All Star Marine in Essex and talked to my mechanic. I told him that I wanted to have the lower uint oil changed and see why the motor was leaking. He said bring it right over. All Star has always treated me well and they try to get me "in and out" whenever possible.

When we pulled the bottom plug, he asked me "Where's the gasket that fits over the plug?" I said, "I don't know." Yesterday, when I pulled the plug, it was only out for a half second, and replaced. No gasket was dropped on the ground.

Well, we figure this is why there was a small leak. I probably wouldn't have even noticed the leak if the boat had stayed in the slip. After all the old oil was drained, we filled with new lower unit oil and replaced the gasket (washer) on both the top and bottom plugs.

Trailered the boat back home and haven't seen any drips.

5th (Marty)
Old 08-04-2011, 02:44 PM

Why was the fluid black? Was it burnt up?

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 08-04-2011, 03:02 PM

I don't think it was "burnt up". I asked if it was black just because it needed to be changed, and he said yes. The "new" fluid was green when it went in the lower unit. I don't know when the last time it was changed. The motor usually gets "serviced" every winter (near the end of Dec) after rock season.

5th (Marty)
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 PM

Those little washers should not be re used - best to use new ones each time.

Sucks they cost so much but beats the repair bill of a fried lower unit.

Good luck you saw the drip.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 AM

The joys of keeping a boat in the water all the time.....you never get to see things like that.

Good that you found it plenty early.

I hope the fishing stays good for you....Lord knows you're right about it being disappointing to us Bridge Yankees.