Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 10-23-2011, 07:45 PM

Default Thank God for White Perch

Well I got my work in with the Manns baits that I wanted to but didnt get a hit while running over the southern reaches of Belvedere to Baltimore light and back...Hit a few spots that usually hold fish this time of year but nada today...

Went back to a " go to" spot over the last couple of months, and if it wasnt for the couple of Perch I caught, I would have struck out....did not see anyone bring in a single rock fish today....Maybe tomorrow ends up better...
Old 10-24-2011, 07:28 AM

Which brings me to the question we ask oursleves every year when it gets cold out: Where do all of the White Perch go?

During thesummer it seems like you could walk across the bay on them.

Do they go deep and dormant?

Migrate south?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM

The Perch do migrate to deeper waters.

I've caught nice ones in late December / January in 65 feet just south of the bridge.

You can spot them on a meter with a bottom zoom. Often school is two feet thick off bottom.

Only drawback - they often blow out their swim bladder when reeled up.

I'll catch 15 to 20 - then leave them for next trip.

Not sure where they go in February - then in March they start going up the rivers / creeks to get ready to spawn.

Netters really get them when they school up near Cambridge.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
The Perch do migrate to deeper waters.

I've caught nice ones in late December / January in 65 feet just south of the bridge.

You can spot them on a meter with a bottom zoom. Often school is two feet thick off bottom.

Only drawback - they often blow out their swim bladder when reeled up.

I'll catch 15 to 20 - then leave them for next trip.

Not sure where they go in February - then in March they start going up the rivers / creeks to get ready to spawn.

Netters really get them when they school up near Cambridge.
Thanks Skip

For now, I can say that they are still in 4 to 8' of water and biting viciously on Super Dupers.

Last night I hit a hole and caught one after another for a solid 20 casts in a row.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:47 PM

part 1 - any how-to suggestions for nightfishing WP? lures etc
part 2 - is this a proper Super-Duper?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luhr-Jensen-...item415d63f3ac

any reccomendations on weight/color/length?

thanks

Last edited by Southerly; 10-25-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerly View Post
part 1 - any how-to suggestions for nightfishing WP? lures etc
part 2 - is this a proper Super-Duper?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luhr-Jensen-...item415d63f3ac

any reccomendations on weight/color/length?

thanks
That be them.

I use the biggest ones (#506 I think) in any variation of chrome. They make a few different ones, like chrome with a red tip, a holographic chrome body, etc.

I'll fish them right up on the shore when in the rivers, andwhen out in the 3' to 8' water of the bay I'll let them sink near the bottome and retrieve them medium slow, sometimes pausing or giving a little twitch.

Remember, I'm a bass fisherman at heart and that's how I typically fish most of my lures...like a freshwater bass guy.

Last night I caught an almost legal sized Rockfish on one of these. I tried to use the fish stretcher, but I was still about 1.5 inches short.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM

thanks for the info. i remember the post fr early spring probably about these lures and kick myself in the butt. i forgot to look into it for summer.

i like white beetlespin, and chr/blue 1/4oz ratltrap. but have stopped using ratltrap due to trebles, when i should have just switched them out.

new favorite this year was 1/4oz kastmaster but then the YOY got out of control by about late august and i had to stop using that too. also had a lot of fun with jigging rap if fishing off a pier. it's well known to ice fishing in holes. the interesting thing - i don't think fish even have to be in the area. this lure seems to just produce them somehow. i took one apart but cannot figure out how it works.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 PM

OMG Scott you let the secret of the Super Duper out there ?

The one and only thing that has always saved us from striking out completely ? The world will end....

Regardless that thing, ugly little, misshapen, weird looking thing produces like nothing else...

Good luck, its a winner and then some...
Old 10-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerly View Post
thanks for the info. i remember the post fr early spring probably about these lures and kick myself in the butt. i forgot to look into it for summer.

i like white beetlespin, and chr/blue 1/4oz ratltrap. but have stopped using ratltrap due to trebles, when i should have just switched them out.

new favorite this year was 1/4oz kastmaster but then the YOY got out of control by about late august and i had to stop using that too. also had a lot of fun with jigging rap if fishing off a pier. it's well known to ice fishing in holes. the interesting thing - i don't think fish even have to be in the area. this lure seems to just produce them somehow. i took one apart but cannot figure out how it works.
BIG fan of the Beetlespin too....in white. I have never had as many fish hit on any other color. You saw my picture of that trble hook embedded in my hand, right? So yeah...I'm growing tired of those nasty treble hooks as well.

I bought one of those kastmaster lures earlier this year thinking it would be deadly, but I only threw it out ther on one trip and didn't get any bites on it so I haven't revisited it. Yet. It's good to know others think like me with regards to the Perch lures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
OMG Scott you let the secret of the Super Duper out there ?

The one and only thing that has always saved us from striking out completely ? The world will end....

Regardless that thing, ugly little, misshapen, weird looking thing produces like nothing else...

Good luck, its a winner and then some...

The only reason I even tried them at all was because I got 3 of them for $1.00 at Earleigh Heights a few years ago. You were with me the first time I threw it out there in desperation and started catching fish with it.