Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-28-2013, 03:30 PM

Thumbs up A 39-Incher Solo April 26th, 2013

A 39-Incher Solo April 26th, 2013
I’m happy to say that the boat limited out today. With me today were me, myself, and I. The flags were hanging limp the entire time that I was loading and launching, but the wind started to pick up as I was passing under the skinny bridge. I was underway and was passing a couple osprey nests in Selby Bay at 7:52 am.

By 8:15, I was in 35 feet of water and was setting lines in a falling tide. At 8:49 am in 35 feet of water near the western side, a 39-inch female hit a 2-oz chartreuse single chute set back 100 feet. It took less than 4 minutes, but the big girl and several sea lice were soon lying on the deck of the vessel. The fish hit before the entire spread was out, and with my one-person limit, I pulled the rods and boards and had everything put away by 9:20 am.

I Was Taking No Chances Today

I put out the way-way back and goofed around for another couple hours, but headed back in at about 11:30 after I started to get cold. The fish seemed to be in the upper part of the water column, and like a couple days previous, there was a lot of bait and a decent amount of fish in locations. Unlike a couple days previous, I did not take a skunk. I had unfinished business today with a trophy rockfish, and I succeeded in getting the stink out of the cooler.

Don't Think That I've Ever Seen a Sailboat Pulling Planer Boards

Conditions

High tide at Thomas Point Lighthouse was at 4:53 AM, and low tide was at 11:48 AM. The moon was 98% full, with the full moon on the previous evening. The salinity at Annapolis was about 7.5 PSU and readings were erratic. Water temperature was 57°, and morning air temperatures were in the mid to high 50’s, and rose to the mid 60’s by noontime. Skies were clear. The early morning winds were next to nonexistent, but the wind increased as soon as I was underway. When I was setting the lines, the winds were 8 to 12 knots out of the north, and there was a 1˝-foot chop on top of 1 to 2 foot rollers. The barometric pressure was rising the entire time that I was out, and the water temperature was the same as it was this time last year, despite this being a weird year weather-wise with the late winter and early heat wave.

Trolling Spread
Same as when we got skunked on Tuesday the 23rd, didn't change a thing.

Had a Killer Dinner That Night

Three Species Day: Later, I Fished at the Neighborhood Pond and Caught Bass and Bluegill

Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 PM

Nice solo work, that had to be a challenge. Now I hope you granted that sailboat the right of way, he is sailing and a fishing vessel, that must trump everything!! He should add some blue flashing lights on the mast just for good measure! Wonder if he caught anything??

Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM

Blue flashing lights, doesn't that make it a "Wallmart Special"?

Rivercat, I see you like the Bordy Rockfish too!

5th
Old 04-28-2013, 07:16 PM

Sweet Fish....Anytime you can get a 3+ foot fish solo is great !