Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Rex, I am sorry but it is a top secret area.. this was not one of the areas referenced in a Saltwater Sportsman article last year, found on serveral local angler blogs, or in guide newsletters that market their services, etc. There are never yearly fishing reports from this area on popular forums. It is also not the same area that a boat sunk and got a lot of attention either.

Very few know about this area and very few fish there in the winter. If you do decide you want to fish this top secret area, You have to have a special pass from a few self appointed fishermen and only enjoy one method of fishing (dont get caught fishing with another method at anytime throughout the year or it will be deemed a conspiracy against other anglers.. heaven forbid you be just a fisherman who wants to just go catch fish).. I also think if you are into the most sporting acts of fishing that you may want to avoid fishing here. It is just too easy some days.

BTW, I call the Bay Bridge as mine this summer

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-21-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Rex, I am sorry but it is a top secret area.. this was not one of the areas referenced in a Saltwater Sportsman article last year, found on serveral local angler blogs, or in guide newsletters that market their services, etc. There are never yearly fishing reports from this area on popular forums. It is also not the same area that a boat sunk and got a lot of attention either.

Very few know about this area and very few fish there in the winter. If you do decide you want to fish this top secret area, You have to have a special pass from a few self appointed fishermen and only enjoy one method of fishing (dont get caught fishing with another method at anytime throughout the year or it will be deemed a conspiracy against other anglers.. heaven forbid you be just a fisherman who wants to just go catch fish).. I also think if you are into the most sporting acts of fishing that you may want to avoid fishing here. It is just too easy some days.

BTW, I call the Bay Bridge as mine this summer
Back to your driveway for spring trolling practice before someone takes you to the woodshed.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:39 PM

How are you going to troll in/around/under the bay bridge?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:45 PM

very carefully...
Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM

Skill....Yep...Amazing...
Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM

I want to see a trolling exibition in the rips, prove how good you are. 24oz and 6bars with the outflow from a dead stop. My guess 6' before they hang
Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Now that I'm a bonafide jigger (which reminds me I still have to pick up my new SteveF rod); I can understand keeping certain spots as quiet as possible. I have a lot of learning to do to find areas that hold fish where I can jig them. However, the "secret spot" referred to here is far from secret. So now you have to factor into the equation the fact that it is "best" when only a few boats are working the same area. Engine noise, and other variables mean the "spot" can shut down if worked too hard.
But let's face it, most of us have our personal boats "winterized" and covered. If we get out, espescially with a guide, with someone who knows the area and the etiquette needed to successfully fish the area without negatively affecting the other boats, I would think we could post without endangering the "spot".
If I go with Pete this summer and we are successful, I will only say something like, "went to some islands on the eastern shore and tore them up". If I go with a private boat, I won't even go that far. I'll only say we had a great day jigging with Don.
Whenever I go on someone elses boat. I usually don't post at all. I let the captain post first and I will add a thank you or something like that to the post. If the captain wants to "burn" his spot, that's ok, but I will never burn his spot for him.
Even trolling on my own boat, I usually just give an area (like Bloody Point, or Love Point).
But I would say the area we are talking about is "famous" for holding fish in the winter. It's hard to "burn" a spot like that.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 PM

Marty I agree with everything you said except for the last line...it's actually very easy to burn a well known spot..for guys like you and me and lots of regulars its just well known info..
I'm talking about the other people "lurkers' if you will..on TFish there are close to 60,000 people I think someone said..it only takes a few to see big fish pics and background to figure out where it is...getting up at 4am trailering 50 miles each way just so some "guy" who read a post and wants to try to see if he can catcha biggun...runs his motor..etc...ruins it for everyone...now I have been there days when there are 10 boats fishing...everyone knows the game and fishing is good..on the other side I have seen 4 or 5 boats and 1 idiot..fishing is done..
I'm all for everyone catching it's great..any pics that you see from the regular guys who don't post it on TFish won't have background..

I don't own the place it's just aggravating.. If everyone had the class that you have we wouldn't have a problem....'
I'm afraid that trollers and jiggers are worlds apart when it comes to burning spots...

Last edited by jumbo1; 02-21-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM

Couple ways to look at giving away too much info.

Use TF as an example.

Someone writes a post with a channel marker as location.

The post gets 800 views. 100 think it would be good to fish there.
50 make plans to go.

25 have time to go but never get there.

5 at best really go.

Other thing is fish often move or just do not bite.

I can give you numbers for a wreck in upper bay. It is only good on outgoing current. Fish it any other time - skunk city.

Fish follow certain patterns ( most years ) based on season.
It is no secret where to look for them and when.

Fishing a powerplant discharge in winter is good in most cold areas in winter.

Hardly a secret.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 PM

OK Skip heres the scenario...you like to live line...only 1 piling is holding fish on the BB...you get there and there are 6 boats around your piling...knowing thats the only one that holds fish what do you do?
And you can't say I'm going to anchor up and eat some donuts..
On another note if spot burning doesn't matter how come you guys don't mention piling numbers when you anchor up? (Though I will say you give out more info than most)..your kind of an exception to the rule..