Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2014, 10:10 AM

Default For Marty, Don, Dan, and others that

poke some fun at Scott and I....

This is from the Maryland Gazette and Chris Dollar's column this week...

Oh and by the way, he is wrong these do not work, do not try them, they do not catch anything but a cold...Stay away from them....Complete waste of money....

"My friend Pete sent me a photo of a nice 30-inch rockfish he caught in shallow water near one of my favorite spots in Eastern Bay. The lure used to fool the fish was a 3/4-ounce chrome, blue-backed Rat-L-Trap by Bill Lewis.

I’d forgotten how effective these kind of lures can be. In the early years after the striper moratorium was lifted, it was my money lure to catch rockfish holding on the eastern stone pile of the Bay Bridge. I neglected this reliable friend over the seasons, however, as improvements to soft plastic jerk baits and swimbaits lured me in. Rattling lures were regulated to the bench, and that’s probably a mistake. The other day I hustled to my tackle shed, looked in my bag — and sure enough, I had a few still in the packaging, eager and shiny.

Some tie their line right to the lure. With most jigs and lures I do, too. But for hard, subsurface baits, I often attach a ball-bearing snap swivel (#2 30-pound test or #10, 40-pound coastlock snap swivel) directly to the lure’s eyelet, with a 30-inch, 20-pound fluorocarbon leader attached to the running line by a surgeon’s knot or ball-barrel swivel (#10 or #12). Sometimes it’s nice, and productive, to renew an old friendship."
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
poke some fun at Scott and I....

This is from the Maryland Gazette and Chris Dollar's column this week...

Oh and by the way, he is wrong these do not work, do not try them, they do not catch anything but a cold...Stay away from them....Complete waste of money....

"My friend Pete sent me a photo of a nice 30-inch rockfish he caught in shallow water near one of my favorite spots in Eastern Bay. The lure used to fool the fish was a 3/4-ounce chrome, blue-backed Rat-L-Trap by Bill Lewis.

I’d forgotten how effective these kind of lures can be. In the early years after the striper moratorium was lifted, it was my money lure to catch rockfish holding on the eastern stone pile of the Bay Bridge. I neglected this reliable friend over the seasons, however, as improvements to soft plastic jerk baits and swimbaits lured me in. Rattling lures were regulated to the bench, and that’s probably a mistake. The other day I hustled to my tackle shed, looked in my bag — and sure enough, I had a few still in the packaging, eager and shiny.

Some tie their line right to the lure. With most jigs and lures I do, too. But for hard, subsurface baits, I often attach a ball-bearing snap swivel (#2 30-pound test or #10, 40-pound coastlock snap swivel) directly to the lure’s eyelet, with a 30-inch, 20-pound fluorocarbon leader attached to the running line by a surgeon’s knot or ball-barrel swivel (#10 or #12). Sometimes it’s nice, and productive, to renew an old friendship."

So what you're saying is Mr Dollar must have stock in a cold remedy company and all he wants us to do is catch a cold??? That's so rude! Thanks for setting us straight and looking out for us!

(Don't worry, I am headed to Walmart right now to buy all of these non-catching bastards just to get them off the shelf and protect the general public from falling for his fiction!

Old 06-12-2014, 11:09 AM

Jeff,

Thank you so much...Scott and I have tried to buy out all of the inventory and the flea markets, and bass pro when the sales are on...

If I could join you today and help rid the world of these terrible, terrible things I would, but I am stuck behind a desk in the city I just don't see myself getting to Tochterman's to empty them out today....

Mike
Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 AM

Norm and I actually did quite well with bronze rattletraps last Thursday in about 3 to 8 feet of water neard some structure and current. The BKD's, Gotchas, and other lures just were not cutting it, but we each caught about a dozen each in the 14 to 16+ inch range. I think the reports of peanut bunker in the area may have had something to do with it.

Don
Old 06-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Mike, I would never tease you about using Rattletraps. They catch 12 inch fish very well
5th (Marty)
Old 06-12-2014, 03:14 PM

Marty you are correct...I just don't remember catching fish that small with them....I do however remember catching fish with them when you were not catching fish....

Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Marty you are correct...I just don't remember catching fish that small with them....I do however remember catching fish with them when you were not catching fish....

I must have at least ten characters.
Ouch
5th
Old 06-12-2014, 06:45 PM

It's not really Mike's fault. When we started bay fishing together years ago all I had was a huge bag full of bass fishing lures, so that's what I used.

Of course, trolling a RatLtrap was Mike's idea.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM

Marty

when are we fishin ?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Marty

when are we fishin ?
Boat goes in slip this weekend. We can go looking for spot anytime you get off work. You help me find them in the evening, I'll use them the next morning

Trolling is still productive, put 11 keepers in the boat yesterday in between raindrops (one time a sheet of rain). Off Tilghman in 30-35 ft was best. Birds working, fish breaking.
Not big keepers, most 19-22 inches. We did see a couple of small pods that we could have dropped spot on (if we had any) or jigged (if it stopped raining).

Helps to be on a 46 ft Markley on those kind of days!
5th