Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Default Dawn to dusk off Breezy 12/9

The predicted fog / drizzle messed up my work schedule and winds looked bad for Monday so decided to fish Sunday. Couple of phone calls and had a crew. My wife watched me laying out heavy clothing for the trip on Saturday night and just shook her head.

I'll have to admit - when I woke up just before alarm at 4:00 am - had to wonder about leaving a warm bed and wife to go out into the cold , damp morning. My friends were to meet me at Breezy Point - bad because I welcome help hooking up the trailer and extra eyes while driving - especially in dark and fog.

Good thing - I can crank up the radio as few like what I listen to. Drive down was OK other then a few crazy drivers going about 80 MPH. The fog was heavy but could see at least 1/4 mile most of the time. I wondered how thick it would be as I approached the bay. Had Goatwhore playing -" Apocalyptic Havoc " - as I came up the grade into Chesapeake Beach.
http://youtu.be/OLFtQ90H6O4
Wish I had a camera of the surreal scene - lighted fish jumping in the fog - in time with music. Awesome light display along road.

Fog lifted slightly near water - pleasant surprise. Pulled into Breezy Point and only 3-4 other trailers there. Thought for sure at 6:45 there would be a crowd. Fellow TFer Blue Lou ( Lou ) and my friend Alberto and Jose were waiting and we launched quickly. Racked rods as radar and engines warmed up. Headed out into the bay - fog was there but could see about 1/4 mile by eye.

Radar could see much farther and guided us safely towards # 78. We set up on west side in 35 feet with course SE towards marker. Got all rods out but set some planer lines farther at 125 feet since a lot on meter was deep.

Not a lot in channel so we swung back into shallow water. Perhaps cloudy / foggy day would have fish there. Had a hit off a chartreuse umbrella on down rigger at 35 feet. Lou reeled up a 27 incher to start the day. Fish hit in 45 feet.

We trolled in as far as 35 feet - then zig zagged south along channel as a north / north east breeze picked up.. Current was slacking as high tide neared. Trolled across a few saved way points - area that has given up fish over the years for reasons unknown. Nothing is on bottom nor is there any type structure. Hoped we might get a fish and trolled over the area. Planer board got hit and Alberto yelled - FISH ON. No need to as we all heard drag going out. Now I fish what might be considered taut drags - some might even call them tight. When we hear drag - likely a good size fish.

Jose grabbed the bowed over rod and held on. He does not get to fish much but we let him battle the fish. The fish cut across the spread so I was forced to turn boat to port and into wind. This kept lines clear but meant I could not slow the boat to help the angler. Lou and Alberto reeled in a couple transom rods as Jose slowly gained line. Fish took as much as he gained a few times but slowly both fish and angler tired. Fish cut a wide arc around boat and forced me to stay on the helm. It was up to Alberto and Lou to land the big fish. We glimpsed it once and I heard Grande - Spanish for big. Alberto grabbed the leader and Lou did a good job netting the beast. It landed on deck with a heavy thud and we all cheered it was in the boat.

We rigged up a rope to help Jose hold the heavy fish up for photos.

Hand held scale showed just over 46 pounds.

Most times I let over 40 inchers go but no way to talk Jose into it. He assured me every inch of the fish would be used. It hit a 6 oz chipped up purple head Alien ( Marty's ) with a pearl shad. It's one of my PSCR lures barbless single. Jose did a good job keeping tension on line.

We ate lunch and continued to look for more fish. Found good bait about 2 miles north of CCNPP in 45 feet and circled it. Boat rod tandem back 200 feet got hit and Alberto reeled in a 36 incher.

It hit a purple head chartreuse with white shad - a lure I almost swapped out since it has not caught in last few trips.

We listened to Raven's game and trolled as bay got calm. Worked along the 45 foot edge and towards Breezy Point. Fog came back and radar only showed 2-3 other boats and they were far away on 8 mile setting. Only # 78 was close so we swung out into channel near it. Heard the end of over time game and laughed - we were sorta in same situation as it was getting near dark. Corner boat rod back 200 feet got hit again and we let Jose reel it in. Nice 35 incher that hit same lure as other one did.

We slowly reeled in lines - hoping for another fish but none bite. We all had a fish to take home and headed back - radar guiding the way. It was dark and drizzling but we did not care - had a great day.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM

Well done! I prefer to release the big ones too but the way this season is going, it sure will be tough. I hope to be faced with that difficult decision soon
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM

I think if I had tossed Jose's big fish back - he'd be telling Coast Guard " El Captaineton , he fall over "
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I think if I had tossed Jose's big fish back - he'd be telling Coast Guard " El Captaineton , he fall over "
Now that's funny!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 PM

"El capitan es muy loco!!!!!"

Thanks for the report....I gotta' stop overlooking the purple lures at the flea markets.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:24 PM

¡Pescados grandes! ¡Muy bien!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 PM

I think my computer is broke; I keep "pressing 1 for English" but the posts keep coming up Spanish.

cinco