Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Default 82 to 80 Saturday 12/8

Well I was afraid it might be foggy this morning; but it was just as clear and bright as could be, NOT.

On the was down to Ches. Beach, we kept running into patches of fog. Some not so bad, others dense. When we arrived at the ramp, it was pretty clear. We launched and headed out the inlet to FOG. We could see a couple hundred yards, and I figured it was worth a try.

My original plans were to run to Breezy, drop lines and troll south to Power Plant. That changed. I was only comfortable at trolling speed, so we dropped lines somewhere off CB in 40 ft of water. I headed toward the channel and we put over just the six umbrellas and two wayback lines. If we had to move quick, we could.

A large white umbrella with 20 oz weight back 75 feet went down hard. Lou grabbed the rod and the line quickly went limp. Lou reeled in the umb minus one white teaser. I replaced the teaser and lou said "how far back for this one?". It is a 113H without line counter or "bars". I said it's marked at 75ft, let it out to the knot. I turned around to keep a sharp eye on my foggy course and soon heard Lou say "where the hell is the knot?" I look back and the umbrella looks like it's half way back to CB!!! We all gave Lou Hell and he had to reel in a heavy umb that was WAY back. We got the muddy mess in and reset it properly.

The fog lifted a bit and we finally made it to red 80. In 50ft the same umb sang. We put a nice 41 incher in the box. I circled and again, the same umb went down. Mark was gaining ground, then losing ground to the strong fighter. I slowed the boat and Mark was winning the battle, when suddenly the line went limp. We checked the umb and all looked ok, just no fish.

There were a bunch of charters south. We made it to 82 and caught a small 24 inch fish with a green tag!!! In the box it went. I text messaged Don (Hunter) to check it out on the computer. He texted back, "I think it is a Va. tag, I have received two hats from them". I passed the info along to Lou (the angler); and we kept fishing. As I rounded 82, the same umb went down and drag was screaming. Our third keeper (a fat 39) went on ice.

We pulled lines and ran back to CB. While I loaded the boat, Lou started cleaning the fish. I received another text from Don that in part said, "there is a reward, but they need the whole fish". I look over and see Lou bagging the filets.

We showed Lou the text and told him they probably pay $500 for the fish. He's pissed and dejected. The rest of us thought it was funny.

All our hits came off the same umbrella; go figure.
Here's a couple pic's from today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB Rock.jpg (18.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg CB Rock Close Up.jpg (19.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Nice job finding them. $500 could buy you a lot of umbrellas so you wouldn't have to wear out just that 1. Hell, I would've paid you $500 for that umbrella today! I had 3 guys from work and really would have liked to got some fish. Oh well!
BTW, Do I need to carry my hunting license with a fur bearer permit to legally come home with "a skunk"?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 PM

Lou must have had a $10,000.00 fish tag on that one he let get away....Forget the one he was cutting up !

Glad to hear you guys had a good day and it looks like you got some really nice fish...Congrats !
Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 AM

Thumbs up

Nice fish. It's funny that you caught all the fish on the same rig. I just had a conversation with a friend yesterday about how some days the same rod catches all the fish, even if you have another exact setup on the other side.
Boat looks nice, especially with some big fish.

bhl
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
Nice fish. It's funny that you caught all the fish on the same rig. I just had a conversation with a friend yesterday about how some days the same rod catches all the fish, even if you have another exact setup on the other side.
Boat looks nice, especially with some big fish.

bhl
Ain't that the truth. I had another deep umb with 24 oz out 75' on the opposite side of the boat. The only difference was 4 more oz's and the umb had a few black teasers. I ran the same baits on the 24 oz. They just didn't want it. I ran 18 total rods yesterday; all I needed was one

I was tempted to give you a call on the cell to see if you were out. I was going to get the Judge's to "surround" them. Between "Hook Em"; "Justified"; and "5th Tuition", we could have given them Hell. Speaking of Hell, "Hell's Bell's" fishes those same waters:
Only one more week to try for a trophy until they move off Vir. Beach or North Carolina (or the Power Plant).
5th (Marty)
Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM

The reward for VA taged fish is $1000.00.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 12-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post
The reward for VA taged fish is $1000.00.
Call Lou and tell him that

Fishing with Mike (garlien), Scott (Spot77), Don (Hunter), Mark (Mlag), Allan (Just Chillin), Greg (B-faithful), Phil (Phillk999), Rob (fishnut), Skip (27 Sailfish) = fun
Lou; priceless

5th (Marty)
Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Sorry for not being able to check out that green tag sooner but I was away from my computer. Not sure what the reward is, but as far as Lou is concerned, I think we should stick with the reward being $1,ooo. Glad you guys had some luck out there, especially so far north.

Looks like it will be alot of fun starting this Tue...damn gill nets.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Call Lou and tell him that

Fishing with Mike (garlien), Scott (Spot77), Don (Hunter), Mark (Mlag), Allan (Just Chillin), Greg (B-faithful), Phil (Phillk999), Rob (fishnut), Skip (27 Sailfish) = fun
Lou; priceless

5th (Marty)
Well there's certainly no end to the inappropriate humor. Or beer.

As long as you find that fun, then you've got the right crew.