Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-17-2019, 06:41 PM

Default Scouting north of Bridge

Moved my boat north from Deale last Thursday. I'm now running out of my "summer" slip (Bodkin Creek)
Today was light and variable so a good day to scout the area. Calvin and I hit a place close to home with some bkd's and quickly lost a few There may have been fish there, but I was on the move today
Headed south to an area that's been good to me between the towers (water and cell) off Kent island. Nobody home. Trolled my "normal" 25 ft line and came up empty (nothing showing on meter). Moved out to 30 ft, same result. Moved in to 20 ft, still nothing on screen.

Some boats were set up off Love Point (further north) and I ran the short distance to close the gap. Before we got there (chummers) I wanted to drop my spread early. I put out my 7 rod spread of umbrellas and tsunami shads.

Way before we got to the other boats, we had five rods go down. Only one other person on the boat, so I was instructing him as to which rods looked the heaviest to reel in first. 22 to 24 inch fish came over the side and we released the keeper 19-21 inch fish. With two in the box, I swung back on my track to find the school again. I found them, but they wouldn't bite when trolling AGAINST the tide.

I felt stupid for tossing back the other two keepers we needed I swung around again and followed my original track (with the tide), and once again multiple rods went down

With our limit in the box, we racked the trolling rods and jigged a few 22 inch fish before heading for the barn (it got hot).

We were back in the slip by noon, and the airconditioning in the truck felt great on the way home.

I received a report that 100 porpoises were headed our way from down below the bridge

There's fish out there (Mako Mike was very successful last week). Go get 'em
5th
Old 06-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Sorry, tried to upload my photo's, but the site now says my photo file exceeds it's limitations

Guess you will have to trust me
5th
Old 06-17-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Sorry, tried to upload my photo's, but the site now says my photo file exceeds it's limitations

5th
That’s hard to believe with that little phone you have😎
Old 06-17-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
That’s hard to believe with that little phone you have😎
iPhone 4 rocks
Old 06-18-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:

I received a report that 100 porpoises were headed our way from down below the bridge
Is that a super reliable source? Not a single mention of it by any of the locals over here. Kent Island chicks love their dolphins.

Maybe they're still much further south? Let's hope.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:

5th
Stop catching such big fish?

I sent Jim an email regarding the pic sizes. Not sure why the size limit changed.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Is that a super reliable source? Not a single mention of it by any of the locals over here. Kent Island chicks love their dolphins.

Maybe they're still much further south? Let's hope.
Crab Potter, who sets up and down kent island shore took a video of the porpoises today.

They are here.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:08 PM

porpoises off hacketts the other day. Friend sent me a video.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:39 PM

So, after "finding them" last Monday, I fished Tuesday and Wednesday as well
Needed to get some "honey do" things accomplished the rest of the week, and although I normally DON"T fish the weekends, I was invited to jump on Bruce's new 27 Judge "Hook Em" (still less than 100 hrs). Bruce will be unavailable for fishing Mon thru Thursday , so I relinquished church this morning

Bruce had me do a little "devotional" over channel 72 (Judge guys) to Mlag, Jason, and Lolo. I asked that those fishing today along with "Uncle Jake" be safe, find fish, and return to dock safely.

We looked at a few Upper Bay haunts (above Rock Hall) with nobody home
Slid down to Rock Hall, trolled some deeper water while chumming boats worked shallow water. Not much happening

We headed further south near mouth of Chester river and threw out a 7 rod spread. Rods were in the water about 5 minutes when the fish finder LIT UP.

A rod went down HARD and I brought twin keepers onboard (32 & 21). Obviously we stayed in the area. Uncle Jake had shown us the way
We called in a couple of other Judges and everyone had a good pick of nice fish.

Filled the box rather quickly (other than about 20 minutes trying to get as much line back from a skate hookup) and jigged a few fish before heading to the barn.

Bruce's boat performed flawlessly, but it looks like Phil and I need to pitch in to buy him a bigger net

I love that option he has on his fly by wire Suzuki that allows you to hit a button to uncrease your RPM's by 50 (or reduce by 50). What a nice function. Top that off with his autopilot and Hook 'Em is outfitted perfectly for bay fishing.

More Honey Do's tomorrow, but hope to get my boat out again soon.

p.s. Saw Mako Mike's beautiful new Tierra out today; she looks like a fishing machine.
5th
Old 06-26-2019, 07:29 AM

As always, I had a great day on the bay with great friends. Marty had to show off by catching two fish at the same time on a spreader bar which were the first two in the box. It took Phil a while to put one in the box but he finally managed to do it. I hope the fish hang around for a while.
Thanks for posting the trip Marty. I had to leave town the next morning and didn't get a chance to post.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)

Last edited by bhl; 06-26-2019 at 07:31 AM. Reason: forgot something