Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 PM

Default Point Lookout 11/18

Received an invitation from Don (Hunter),and his wife, to fish Point Lookout today with my friends Lou and Allan. Last night, the winds were howling. I gave a Mycobacterium marinum (Fish Handlers Disease) power point presentation to the Dorchester County MSSA and the American Legion flags were ripping at the base of the Choptank River Bridge. It was calling for the winds to drop today to 10-15 with 11-12 being prominate.
We arrived at the ramp and the seas were rolling. As we left the protection of the harbor, we could see whitecaps and 3-4 ft waves. Don's 25 Maycraft handled them well (my 22ft would have stayed tied up). Don had to stay perched at the wheel and he manuvered us out to the channel edge. It was too rough to use the boards, so 5 rods went over. We searched the area finding nice bait balls, but nobody home around them. Finally spotted some birds flying near a breakline and went to investigate. They weren't diving, but were very interested.
As we approached, bait showed on the screen and nice marks were mixed in. Don said to watch the rods and a healthy 25 in. rock took a 9 inch shad off an umbrella. Not long after another rod started bouncing and it's twin was boated.
It was difficult to get back on the same area because of the conditions, but Don eventually got us back. Another rod bounces and Dawn (Don's wife) battled a 32 incher to the boat in what can only be called "sporty" conditions. Everyone offered to grab and hold her because the boat was rocking , but she managed to land the fish without our assistance.
Not only does she land fish in less than desirable conditions, but she also took the helm whenever Don had to adjust rods or fight a fish. I think we have our own "Dr. Julie Ball" on CBAngler.
Just as she was ready to land her fish, a second rod "danced". Allen grabbed the rod for the fight. No one offered to assist him. I looked over at him, and I swear he looked like he was 4'9" (no offense Pete). Allen had his feet spread so wide to keep his balance, I think I could have, as the old saying goes, eaten soup off his head.
The winds layed down later in the day, but we didn't put out the boards. Don decided to put out a WWB rod instead. As time was drawing near, Don headed out to deeper water and "Bam", the WWB rod bends over. I realed in a nice 40 inch fat fish with sea lice and we took her photo and released her with a kiss as she slapped her tail and splashed water on me as she dove for the deep.
We boated 7 fish without boards. Most of the day was in very trying seas. What a great time!!! Lou, Allen, and myself were on our best behavior with Dawn onboard. In fact, Lou was so pleasent and amiable, we asked if Don would allow Dawn on our boats the next time we have Lou on our boats.
Thanks for a great day, it was certainly worth the trip.
Best of luck to everyone in the MSSA tournament.
5th (Marty)
Old 11-19-2011, 06:40 AM

nice report and a good read - congrats all round on solid fishing!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:36 AM

I saw a ton of birds around the bridge late yesterday afternoon. Similar to what Marty said....they weren't really "active" as far as feeding goes, but they were definitely there interested in something.

On the north side of the bridge. closer to the eastern shore.

If I remember correctly, this is about the same time as I saw them there last year and we went chasing them the next day with some pretty good success.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Marty....sounds like that "Way WAY Back" rod was pretty hot for you.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:05 PM

Wondered if you headed out - congrats on finding a few fish in tough conditions.

Got a feeling the crew would offer to help Dawn - rough or calm water

Dawn is a sweetheart and a trooper - PLO is no joke this time of year.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
- PLO is no joke this time of year.
Ain't that the truth. It's pretty wide open down there; waves have a long way to build. Don had his "Mr Buddy" heater in the cabin and kept it toasty warm for us. I was amazed it didn't shut off (tip sensor) in those seas.
5th (Marty)
Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM

It was great having Marty, Lou and Allen make the long trek down to fish with us on Fri. The conditions were pretty rough at first but the hope was the weather man would be correct and it would lay down within a few hour which it did. The 40" fish that Marty successfully got to the boat had hit the bottom lure on a tandem rig with a white 21 Tony over a 4oz parachute that was the WWB. Here is a pic of Marty fighting his 40" trophy with Allen looking on:

Here is Marty's fish just before the goodbye kiss:

Dawn and I fished again on Saturday with slightly better conditions. Caught a bunch of fish in the 30" class with the biggest going 39". Well worth the trip.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Congratulations to Don in finding them in tough conditions. WTG!

Don