Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM

What a timely post.. I bought my wife a Iphone 4 for Xmas and she hates the ****ing thing.. She wants her android back and NOW.. SO I'm kinda stuck with the IPHONE. I'm mostly and android type also, but since I now own the Apple, was wondering if I should dick around with it for awhile.

Wife seems frustrated by it.. How hard can it be/ different than Android ??
Old 01-03-2012, 01:21 PM

My wife won't let me get an iPhone since I can't convince her they are waterproof and shockproof enough to keep me from destroying it, but I have the Verizon G'Zone Android. I have most of the same apps Phil K. mentioned. I also like the Chesapeake Bay Interpretive Buoy system app since it shows real time conditions - especially helpful for water temps and wind speeds. I have three different weather radar apps.

What I can't find is a good Chesapeake tide predictor. I can get the internet based predictors like the one at Maryland DNR, and my phone came with one that shows a few ocean stations, but nothing for Maryland. Anyone know of one?

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro View Post

What I can't find is a good Chesapeake tide predictor. I can get the internet based predictors like the one at Maryland DNR, and my phone came with one that shows a few ocean stations, but nothing for Maryland. Anyone know of one?
Search...Tide App Atlantis Technology

Just checked it against the DNR tide finder and it was accurate.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 PM

I guess I a not as cool as you "Steve Jobs" lovers....I have a Blackberry and love it...

Anyway, there are a couple of websites I keep in my favorites all the time....

1> The weather channel radar is very good on a mobile device (it has a zoom feature and its free) and has helped me avoid storms, and more often than not, move around storms...

2> I use the MD DNR tidefinder a lot cause it is modified for mobile devices, easy to use, and less of a pain than to look on the HDS - 8.

3> Like Shawn I keep a number of the NOAA (NDBC/FSKM2) weather buoys loaded...Use these more than almost anything on the phone except the camera...

4> It takes a little bit of playing around and you will need to bookmark your favorite areas but the tide/current predictor from U of SC is great...It is at tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide

Will try to post some others when I get a chance...
Old 01-03-2012, 04:20 PM

Thanks, the phones came today. I haven't activated them yet. These suggestions are just what I need.

Question for Shawn; If you have the tide table predictions and the interactive buoy real time current flow, how much better can you get? How sensitive is the "current" information relayed from the buoy's?

Shawn; there's a case for the iphone called "lifeproof" that's waterproof.
5th (Marty)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 01-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
I guess I a not as cool as you "Steve Jobs" lovers....I have a Blackberry and love it...

Anyway, there are a couple of websites I keep in my favorites all the time....

1> The weather channel radar is very good on a mobile device (it has a zoom feature and its free) and has helped me avoid storms, and more often than not, move around storms...

2> I use the MD DNR tidefinder a lot cause it is modified for mobile devices, easy to use, and less of a pain than to look on the HDS - 8.

3> Like Shawn I keep a number of the NOAA (NDBC/FSKM2) weather buoys loaded...Use these more than almost anything on the phone except the camera...

4> It takes a little bit of playing around and you will need to bookmark your favorite areas but the tide/current predictor from U of SC is great...It is at tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide

Will try to post some others when I get a chance...
I liked my Blackberry well enough. But the 2 things I end up using the most - playing music and the camera are SO much better on the iphone.

I wasn't an iphone fan until I actually had to use one per SWMBO, but now I'm pretty content with it. In the overall picture, it's no better or worse than any other "smart" phone. Well except for the camera....that kicks the Blackberry's camera's ass.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 PM

I searched the tide app Atlantis and that looks like a much better one than I had found so far.
The bouy app I use is the Chesapeake Bay Interperative Bouy System and links live to bouys from the Susky to the mouth of the bay with all the smart bouy data easily accessible, good free app.
I don't like the Weather Channels radar. I had a storm coming at me and the radar would not update, found channel 2's weather radar to update easier to show the storm as it moved closer
Forgot to mention the non fishing apps Facebook, YouTube, Skype, and Shazam
I keep my phone on my hip on a belt looped phone holder that the phone fits tight in with a Velcro flap so it does not fall out. Once on the boat it get hooked to my radio and stays in my electronics box high safe and dry.

Last edited by PhilK999; 01-03-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:18 PM

Trying the iPhone now. Hope this posts. Marty
Old 01-05-2012, 01:21 PM

This is sweet. Just wait untill I learn how to post pics. Marty
Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
This is sweet. Just wait untill I learn how to post pics. Marty
Kid in a candy shop!!!!!!