Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2010, 06:59 PM

It's a shame it's gotten to this point.......damned if you do, damned if ya don't......I've been out 3 times on 3 different boats, might do 1 or 2 more......mainly shakedown cruises, testing equipment and such.
I've never been a big pre-season fisherman, with all the new gear restrictions I'm even less enthused......but I'll still post full reports.....not gonna be intimidated by a bunch of pansies....
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Bug Guy; good points. First, let me say I like posting on this board primarily because I'm not pissed at the owner (moderator).
I too have been wondering if we are playing into the hands of the "opposition" by not posting. However, at the same time, I don't want to give the "opposition" any more ammunition. Photo's have been picked apart on the TF board. You have to watch how you hold fish (vertically or horizonal). Where are your hands (on the egg sack or behind). What your wearing when you hold them ( naked wet hands vs gloves). If you have lures visable in the background they too are scrutinized (are there stingers in your lures).
Additionally; I know the charter captains use our reports to "follow the fish" so they stay aware of productive areas. By no means do I mean to imply that captains NEED rec's to show them where to fish. They have a group of their own that shares info, and they spend lots more time on the water than most rec's. But, like us, they can gleen info from our reports. When you multiply the number of rec's posting, there is a lot of info we put out there. There are captains that I would proudly share info with (Wayne Morgan, Steve Goings, Chuck Fisher, Charlie Richert) are just a few off the top of my head. But; there are many I wouldn't want to share info with.
I too suspect that after April 17th, the posts with photo's will reappear. In the meantime, I'll rely on my group of friends to share info. I feel like I'm not holding up my end of the bargin because I haven't been out except for one jigging trip (thanks Baldy) and one trolling trip (thanks Keith). But that is about to change.
5th (Marty)
Old 03-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Well now your getting into Fishing Report vs. Bragging Rights. There's a distinctive difference. There are some on the other board that thrive on bragging to the point that it gets them in a catch 22.
Reverb, I Brag all the time, then my wife explains to me there is a difference in my account and reality.

I would hope DNR and others have the same BS detector.

I have not been out except for one trip from a gracious host. However, when I do go out I will be guarded especially in PSCR The main reason is with the PSCR Fiasco. I have learned that politics is the name of the game in fisheries management,. This winter I have witnessed and learned a lot, good and bad about the system. One thing I can say for fact is that the latest debacle has educated a lot of recreational anglers. In my opinion this has ignited a fury of which the opposition has never seen. I am now aware of how things need to be represented and who needs to be contacted, and which individuals I need to surround myself with to have my voice and opinions herd.

Also I have to say I have had the privilege to meet a lot of like minded individual during the winter. I have appreciated and enjoyed everyone’s thoughts and oponions. I look forward to fishing with everyone since I know I have promised a trip to everyone I meet.

Once the kill season is in I am sure the blood and guts will be back to normal. I may even post a report of my own, if I am lucky enough to catch a fish.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 03-26-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:40 PM

For whatever reason, I can't get over the fact that DNR, and others, used the reports that appeared on TF to gauge effort last spring. Right now, I believe that each time someone posts a PSCR report it also upsets the anti-PSCR crowd; they then run to DNR raising hell. There was (and is) a huge silent majority that want PSCR stopped entirely. I have to believe DNR and the PSCR-haters are watching both Tf and CBA right now and collecting more ammunition for next year's fight. DNR is counting the reports of those reporting and extrapolating an estimate for effort; where I come from this is referred to as a Wag (Wild Ass Guess). If they are applying the same logic as last year, fewer reports means less effort and maybe no further restrictions for 2011. They sure as hell weren't out in the field gauging effort last year. I have no facts to back this up. It is just my own personal feeling as a very close observer of the early days of the PSCR debate. When you add in the snipers and general complainers, sharing is tough to do during this time of year. I hate to admit it and it sucks, but EO got what he wanted....Don
Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post
I may even post a report of my own, if I am lucky enough to catch a fish.
A little birdy told me...If you are usng one of Fish Nut's 3oz mylar lures you should do fine.....Don
Old 03-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post
if I am lucky enough to catch a fish.
Wait, I've seen you catch a fish this year!!! Sandbagger
Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 PM

Damn...I dont look at the board for a few hours and boom...there goes the fishing report bomb...

Here is my report...I want to share with all..As someone said, I will rely on my expert fishing prowess to find another spot if mine are tapped out...(which I wish was the case one of these years, but hey I am not that lucky)

Only been out twice....One trip, short, out in the bay above the bridge...Didnt see birds, didnt see anything on the sonar, and sure as hell did not see any fish....

The other time I was lucky enough to hook into a decent sized striper in one of the tributaries...My dumb ass lost it as it got to the boat...The picture would have been posted...( hell I would have been proud, I admit it...) but as luck would have it I lost it....Still trying to get that one....

Going to try for a few hours tomorrow and the end of next week looks great...As soon as I get out more....I will sahre more...

Good luck to all this weekend...
Old 03-26-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Guy View Post
I've said it before - I think anyone can post as little or as much as they want (or not at all). I personally like the reports, because often there is info about the "how" included, which I've learned a lot from, but to each is own. But...
Good point. I'm not so concerned with "where" the fish were caught. Chances are really good that I'll never make it to that spot anytime soon after the report anyway.

But "how" the fish were caught I find to be quite helpful. Lure info, and maybe depth /bottom contour info would be nice.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:19 AM

As far as fishing reports and bragging...they go hand in hand....just the way it is...after the season opens....who cares about reports...that's fine...report all you want...
Than they will have the annual Spring MSSA slaughter and things will be back to normal......
Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 AM

Hell, it wasn;t that long ago, we didn;t have to post reports, we were all calling each other in on the bite, and we saw what others were catching.

Those days are few and far between now.