Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 PM

I love conspiracy theories. I rarely believe them but they are always fun to hear...

Besides, I have an alibi. I havent towed my boat since I was accused of towing an over-wide load.

6000lbs of fish valued at 2.50 a pound???? Really?

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-01-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Reds, Do you really think 900 yards of nets were laid by a recreational fisherman. Yes, recs do poach but not on that level. I would condemn any poaching whether it be a comm or a rec. and don't see any difference between them............Gary
Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 PM

KENT ISLAND, Md. -- Maryland Natural Resources police have seized 3 tons of illegally caught rockfish in the Chesapeake Bay off Kent Island.

Natural Resources police spokesman Sgt. Art Windemuth said an officer discovered a 900-yard anchored gill net off Bloody Point on Monday night. Police staked out the net all night, hoping to catch the poachers. When none showed up Tuesday morning, officers started pulling the net up to reduce effects on the fishery.

Windemuth said it took from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. to retrieve all the fish. Officers had to stop loading fish onto the patrol boat and called in an ice breaker for help.

The fish will be sold or donated to shelters.

There is why they did not stake out the nets any longer............Gary
Old 02-02-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
Reds, Do you really think 900 yards of nets were laid by a recreational fisherman. Yes, recs do poach but not on that level. I would condemn any poaching whether it be a comm or a rec. and don't see any difference between them............Gary
No I don't believe a rec fisherman did this.

My suspicion is that it is a set up by members of a conservation group. Either MSSA or CCA.

All over the media and in the paper the same day it happens. Yeah right.

CCA members did it in Florida to discredit commercial fisherman and push their agenda along. Why not here???

You don't have to have a commercial license to buy a net.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Rafter and Officers Greg Harris and Drew Wilson discovered the net Monday afternoon while dragging a popular illegal fishing area on the opening day of the gill net season.
A popular illegal fishing area

Quote:
Rafter said they have their suspicions about the identity of the poachers, "but it would be hard to prove."
In other words, they know who did it. They just didnt catch them in the act. Therefore, they dont have enough evidence to prosecute.

Sounds like DNR is working hard:
http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=13949133
Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 AM

I think too many people are watching Jesse Ventura's " Conspiracy Theory"...........Gary
Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
No I don't believe a rec fisherman did this.

My suspicion is that it is a set up by members of a conservation group. Either MSSA or CCA.

All over the media and in the paper the same day it happens. Yeah right.

CCA members did it in Florida to discredit commercial fisherman and push their agenda along. Why not here???

You don't have to have a commercial license to buy a net.
I'm not a CCA member, but you've got me curious about this story now. Can you provide a link to this?

Quote:
When none showed up Tuesday morning, officers started pulling the net up to reduce effects on the fishery
Well that's the purpose of the DNR right? Glad they pulled it when they did.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
The problem is, the DNR jumped the gun and pulled the net BEFORE they caught the culprits fishing it. At this point in time, they have no case. They should have waited and then confiscated the boat and trucks used to transport the catch, and put the thieves in jail with BUBBA for awhile. Another screw up.
If you bothered to read the whole story(see Crabby & Son post above) or http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,4455242.story and not just an abbreviated post on the internet you would understand that they did attempt to catch the poacher by staking out the area overnight. After that they acted in the best interest of the resource. The problem is not DNR jumping the gun.

Last edited by JOC71; 02-02-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Second net with similar catch and similar length pulled:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,4455242.story

I confirmed it is not just a rerun of the initial story. This is a second bust.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM

Wanna know who set the nets - a criminal - plain and simple. Whether a rec or comm.
Poacher is not a strong enough word.

Whom ever it was is a thief - stealing from the honest comm and recs.

Reds - I do not see a group setting the net. Yes , they could gain some media coverage but think of the fall out if they were caught. Something that sneaky would likely shut a group down. Seems to me - far more to lose then to gain.

Plus - not likely a lot would change from it - we all know how things are ran at DNR.

Real thing to focus on would be to catch these criminals and demand a very harsh sentence.