Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 AM

" Anything you say can be used against you."..............Gary
Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
How can you possibly believe that ?
The science supports that conclusion, and My trips do also. If just one school of those breeding stock stripers has a good reproduction year and the enviromental factors support it, there will be a high juvenile index count. Most below average juvenile index's are a result of enviromental factors not the lack of a reproduction stock.

The Maryland DNR are constantly documenting striper data. Call the biologist's and ask them if what I'm saying is accurate.

If we go through several more years with below average juvenile index data you can expect there will be creel limit changes.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Help me out with a few things.

I thought I've seen it posted here and other places that the larger fish aren't as good to eat. Some people say they have more mercury in them. Is this true or just assumption?

Do a lot of people keep big fish just to make a trophy out of them?

Is c&r fish death really a big problem? No doubt some die, but I rarely see a dead Rock floating in the water and I'm out between 12 and 20 times a year from March through December. Is the bay just so damned big that I'm missing all of them?

Would a large scale education effort help in reducing the number of c&r fish deaths? I know when I'm bass fishing I take very good care of a fish; holding it with as little contact as possible, getting some water through it before letting it swim off on its own, etc. I do the same with every fish I catch, even White Perch. I'm certainly not the liberal, tree hugging, kumbayah kind of person, but I believe in treating life with respect...all life. Well, except bugs perhaps.

I don't think a lot of new regulatory changes are going to make a big difference one way or the other. First, people are creatures of habit and a very large percentage of the population will continue "business as usual" anyway. Laws and locks are only for honest people after all. Second, I have little faith in DNR being able to do anything that will measurably help. Oh sure they'll massage some figures that will give them the results they want. But there's no way they can forecast variables beyond their control such as droughts, algae blooms, pfysteria outbreaks, other odd weather patterns or a man made disaster. I have no doubt there's some great poeple working at DNR who really care, but it is government after all, and DNR isn't exempt from corruption, being misinformed and having too many layers of bureaucracy to be efficient all the time.

It is scientifically documented that large predator species of fish contain higher PCB's on the east coast from eating numerous small fish. Merucry, lead and several other elements are cumlative and can not be broken down by the body, therefore every microscopic piece of these elements taken in by their host never leaves the host.

Are far as trophies, No. People eat the big fish irregardless of the long term exposure potential.

Delayed mortal as a result of catch and release is believe to be between 1 and 5 % depending on water temp and handling procedures.

Simply put, use circle hooks for baitfishing, pinch down all barbs on all hooks, release the fish without taking them out of the water and always wet your hands if you have to handle them.

Education is always important and should always be given but many people simply won't listen.

Your view of DNR is too critical, yes ,they are government however many of the biologist at the low end do thier jobs because they love it. Stop by their work centers and speak to them, most biologist are very eager to share knowledge if the listener is receptive.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleBiology View Post
The science supports that conclusion, and My trips do also. If just one school of those breeding stock stripers has a good reproduction year and the enviromental factors support it, there will be a high juvenile index count. Most below average juvenile index's are a result of enviromental factors not the lack of a reproduction stock.

The Maryland DNR are constantly documenting striper data. Call the biologist's and ask them if what I'm saying is accurate.

If we go through several more years with below average juvenile index data you can expect there will be creel limit changes.
Let me try another avenue with you.

Can you and I agree that the Bay is a Cesspool ???
Old 01-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Jigstix - Never heard of a fisherman lying about his fish being smaller then it was. I think you give me far too much credit as far as TF.

Seen many " 40 inchers " that look more like 36 inchers - then the other way around in posted photos.

The 40 and over idea came from DNR - they issue an award ( citation ) for that size and over. The fish can be released - angler still gets credit. Just a good all around size.

My favorite spring fish are 30 to 33 inchers - as far as eating.

In years past - it was no big deal to get folks to release an over 40 , safe bet there would be more fish. In 2010 - most fish landed went into the box - no one gambled on getting another hit.

The real key would be to get charterboats in on the idea. Perhaps a one fish per two angler limit. This way - customer gets a nice fillet to take home. Everyone gets to reel in a fish but three are released - three are killed.

Worth trying but my gut says the big Rock will be overfished until few are left.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleBiology View Post
It is scientifically documented that large predator species of fish contain higher PCB's on the east coast from eating numerous small fish. Merucry, lead and several other elements are cumlative and can not be broken down by the body, therefore every microscopic piece of these elements taken in by their host never leaves the host.

Are far as trophies, No. People eat the big fish irregardless of the long term exposure potential.

Delayed mortal as a result of catch and release is believe to be between 1 and 5 % depending on water temp and handling procedures.

Simply put, use circle hooks for baitfishing, pinch down all barbs on all hooks, release the fish without taking them out of the water and always wet your hands if you have to handle them.

Education is always important and should always be given but many people simply won't listen.

Your view of DNR is too critical, yes ,they are government however many of the biologist at the low end do thier jobs because they love it. Stop by their work centers and speak to them, most biologist are very eager to share knowledge if the listener is receptive.
Thanks for the info, that's pretty much about what I thought.

Also, I don't criticize the biologists nor many others in DNR. I just don't have confidence in the group as an organization due to most of the upper management being appointments or blindly following a political agenda more so than an effective agenda. It's like that with most government agencies in my experience. I know there are plenty of good people working there who do there jobs because they love it.

Not a jab at the current state government; I know it's pervasive through all of the administrations.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
Let me try another avenue with you.

Can you and I agree that the Bay is a Cesspool ???
Yes, We can agree on that. The water quality is horrible. Tell all your freinds and neighbors to reduce thier use of all chemicals especially lawn fertilizers.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Thanks for the info, that's pretty much about what I thought.

Also, I don't criticize the biologists nor many others in DNR. I just don't have confidence in the group as an organization due to most of the upper management being appointments or blindly following a political agenda more so than an effective agenda. It's like that with most government agencies in my experience. I know there are plenty of good people working there who do there jobs because they love it.

Not a jab at the current state government; I know it's pervasive through all of the administrations.
You and I agree on the political spectrum, too often blind faith causes everybody who follows to "drive into the ditch". Men with backbones are far and few between.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Damn Marty I let you drag me into this one . In reading this thread throughout the health of our rockfish population is important to all of us, I replied to B- Faithfuls post on the NC.record on tf. It appears they are really nailing them dowm off NC. I'm hoping and trying to be optimistic that the weather and all the fresh water from the snows last winter had something to do with our low catches last spring and the colder than average fall kept our fall fishing limited? I know it is probably wishful thinking but it is going to take more than 1 year of slow fishing to scare me into there will be no more big fish. According to what i'm reading they are in the ocean . Skip you know you are very respected in my book and as knowledgable as any commercial fisherman out there, I have to question you on the statement on commercial boats only keeping 1 fish per 2 anglers. In my opinion ocean limits should be the same as our limits only 1 fish per angler. I realize that commercial captians are much more knowledgeable than just regular rec fisherman like me and catch way more fish but if i was a betting man you could combine both commercial and rec hook and line fishing catch and kill and catch and release and not meet the mortality of rockfish killed in the nets reguardless of size? Just some food for thought wondering others opinions
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM

[QUOTE=Spot77;9393]

Do a lot of people keep big fish just to make a trophy out of them?

Is c&r fish death really a big problem?

Spot
I think people keep big fish to brag then have no idea what to do with them. I also believe people keep a limit just because they can. I have many guys at the plant who come in all of trophy season and give away rock because they caught it. I mean filets on top of filets.

As far as c&r, with temps below 60 the dnr showed a kill rate of .08%. That's a # I can live with.

Skip, look back at reports. Very few 40" fish reported kept, but a whole lot of 39s. I stand by my assertion that you should draw the line to release below 40". I would bet there is little difference between # of eggs in a 35" and 40" fish, but I'd bet 100 times more 35" fish are caught. Therefore releasing all over 40" probably has 1000 times less impact on the stock thanaway a 36" limit.

I don't always agree with you, but your opinion carries weight on these little boards. People ask you for advice and are afraid you won't give it if they break any of the rules you preach. They are also afraid to disagree with you. Not your fault at all. Why do I say this and how do I know? Because I got 2 separate bm saying it. And earlier this year when I gave you some crap, I got another bm from one of your friends thanking me for saying it because many don't want to say it for the reasons I stated above. This is not sn indictment on you, it's actually a form of flattery, and a small bit of usery.

We will never get sn agreement to c&r all spring from folks, but I think it's a great idea and will continue to do so.