Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2016, 09:54 AM

Default Sunday Forcast 5/1 - Trolling in Heavy Rain?

So Sunday's forcast is calling for almost 100% chance of rain all day, total rainfall around 1", but winds less than 10 mph. What are your thoughts on trolling Sunday? Good chance of catching or will the rain be a problem? There will certainly be less pressure on Sunday. I've got canvas enclosure so can stay out of the rain except when setting/clearing the spread. Have not been our yet this year, hoping to get the boat back on Friday, Saturday the family already has plans.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:17 PM

First welcome to CC Angler! A lot of great people and info here. As far as fishing in the rain goes, why not. A lot of times fish feeding patterns are dependent on weather patterns, low and hi pressure fronts for example. And what the hell, the fish are already wet so I don't think it matters much to them. Probably be your best day of fishing since you want to stay dry. The bite will be on and you'll have to spend all your time in the pit reeling them it. Just be careful especially around shipping channels as visibility will be down. Good luck, go get em and be sure to let us know how you did!
Old 04-28-2016, 01:47 PM

CBAngler welcomes you.

Good, now that we have that taken care of, I agree with Mike. If it weren't a tournament, I would stay home However, there were quite a few rainy days that were productive on the charter. Pick a good crew and stay at the helm That's what my captain did !!
Get a good set of rainproof bibs and a good jacket (with hood). If you have decent protection, you are only out in the weather to set lines (30-40 min), check lines for snot/grass (30 min), and catch fish (nobody cares how long you are in the rain while reeling in trophies).
Look for pockets of light rain to check your lines and you will stay pretty dry.
As noted, safety is the most important aspect. Besides visibility problems, a wet deck with fish slime on it gets quite slippery.

Just like on a sunny day; use your head and have fun.
5th
Old 04-28-2016, 03:14 PM

Thanks.

5th you have helped me out quite a bit last year on Tidal Fish (AaronDen) with trolling in the summer. Also I met you and Mako Mike at the Legion over the winter (the pickerel seminar) and we were talking about the ponds back in Idylwild.

Aaron
Old 04-28-2016, 03:44 PM

Aaron; saw the duplicate post on TF, so I put two and two together

You will find this site very helpful (and less political) than TF.

If you decide to go on Sunday, simply be prepared to call it a day early if your crew warrants it. You can always shake like a big shaggy dog, tie the boat up, and hit a waterfront bar to warm your spirits

I actually want you to go Sunday and skip Saturday. That way there's one less boat for me to dodge

Stay safe, have fun, if it's not fun, bag it.
5th
Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 PM

Well, Sunday is not meant to be. I had a brand new 350 crusader put in the boat. Runs perfect at idle, mechanic went to sea trial it last weekend and it wont run over 2500 rpm. 6th crusader 350 he has installed and mine is the first one that does not run perfect out of the crate. Took the carb apart and the float for the secondaries was set way to low, reset it, took it back out yesterday, still has problem. So now have to see what crusader wants to do on warranty.

Its like I'm cursed, last year was an absolute sh*t show from late July on with the boat ultimately resulting in a rusted thru manifold and saltwater in the head. Let's not cut any corners and we will go brand new motor, air filter to oil pan. Brand new, not a reman. After motor was out, alpha transom assembly was starting to leak a little bit, do I want to rebuild it or replace, go ahead and put brand new on, again, I want it right. Outdrive is less than years old, replaced just before I bought boat.

Do all the right things and still don't have a boat that will run, frustrated...