Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 PM

Default How to time "the bite"

Whats the best time to fish?
I have always thought it was an hour before and after tide changes. Is this correct?
Is there always a morning and evening bite?
I usually go out on weekday evenings or weekends, but sometimes things dont seem consistent, for example, last Tuesday evening couldn't get a bite, Thursday evening I caught 12 keepers.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:58 PM

That's like picking winning lottery numbers. I like fishing around the tide but years ago I wouldn't even consider it, I'd always wait until the tide was running strong. I always tell people fishing with me (on slow days in particular) that "it only takes 10 minutes to go from zero to hero, you just have to be there for that 10 minutes."

Old 11-16-2016, 06:37 AM

Thanks Jeff,
I have been going out pretty frequently, but havent been able to draw up any conclusions to when they bite. The seagulls seem to know, lol. I will go out on days when I dont think I am going to do well and I do great. Other days, the opposite.

Judge Yachts 27 Chesapeake
Cummins 6bt Diesel
Old 11-23-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMski View Post
Whats the best time to fish?
I have always thought it was an hour before and after tide changes. Is this correct?
Is there always a morning and evening bite?
I usually go out on weekday evenings or weekends, but sometimes things dont seem consistent, for example, last Tuesday evening couldn't get a bite, Thursday evening I caught 12 keepers.
I think you nailed the classic thinking. Like Jeff said though, it's impossible to always accurately predict the right place/right time. "Zero is hero" is right.....An 8 hour day can produce a 2 minute frenzy that fills the box.

I like morning and evenings because I've always had small boats or a kayak to fish from, so shallow water has been where I've fished and had great luck. A 20" Rockfish on a topwater lure is awful big fun in a 10' kayak.

Tidal movement has always been better for me when fishing the upper Choptank, Pocomoke or Nanticoke Rivers. When there's no movement, there are way fewer bites. Just my experience.