Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-20-2014, 07:02 PM

Default Snipe hunting

I guess everyone knows the stories associated with "snipe hunting". I felt like I was on one today
Bruce Lewin gave me a livewell he made with a 30 gallon trash can, a small bilge pump, and some hose. The livewell works great, I just need to find something to put in it
Because the boats now in Bodkin Creek, I can't run too far south looking for spot. I tried at the bay bridge and Hacketts. I caught a grand total of four spot Lou and I tried anchoring and drifting to no avail.
We caught some big perch, lots of med. size perch, and a couple of nice size croaker. The four spot we did catch were bigger than I would have liked, but a big rockfish will slurp them down.
I'll try the livewell out again. Maybe I'll find the mother load next time!
5th (Marty)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 PM

I thought WE were going to build your bait tank!? Did my consultation fee of a 12 pack of Natural Light scare you off? Tight wad!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 PM

Sent you a phone message

I still have my drum from the car wash

We can build it later this summer
5th
Old 06-21-2014, 02:16 AM

Hey Marty,
How many live wells do you need for them 4 spot? BTW.......stay away from my spot pen!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlag View Post
Hey Marty,
How many live wells do you need for them 4 spot? BTW.......stay away from my spot pen!!!
Hey, I know how to disable your boat lift you better be kind to me
5th
Old 06-21-2014, 04:27 PM

Marty , hanks again for worms.

We got about 10 Spot - along with a lot of Perch. The smaller 3-5 inch Perch are still working for Rock , my guess the Rock are having trouble finding Spot as well.

Right where you saw me is little oyster hump - maybe 10 feet x 3 feet. Awesome spot on weekdays - suicide on weekends.

Forget raiding Mark's Spot pen - MFer booby trapped it. I sneaked in the other night with scuba gear - found razor wire and live electric cords protecting it.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:35 PM

Perch for live lining? I read that someone had some recent success with this on the other board. Are you guys just fishing them, or are you cutting the spiny fins off like I've heard of people trying? Thanks.

Don
Old 06-22-2014, 04:44 PM

RiverCat - Rock eat Perch all the time with fins - so no reason to cut them off.

I do add some weight with live lined Perch - they do not swim deep like Spot will.

Often just 1/8 - 1/4 is needed , enough to gently pull the Perch towards bottom.

Once Spot move in thick - it's much tougher to get Rock to hit a Perch.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:04 PM

I've been snipe hunting at Hackett's several times in past few weeks, mostly not spending more than 30-60 minutes there and only catching 2-5 spot each time. On Thursday I caught about 10 spot in an hour and was hoping I was seeing an up trend, but today we only got 2 spot with 4 rods going for nearly an hour... Even the perch were slow today, although we did catch about 30.

Tolly has been worse with 0-2 spot per attempt.

one attempt at West River G1 yielded just 5 spot in an hour with lots of perch and croaker.

All of the spot I have caught this year have been too big for livelining, or at least bigger than I like @ 7-9".

Hoping they come in smaller and in greater numbers soon!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 AM

Did real well on snipe over the last few days. Catching well inside #1 at mouth of West River. (15 to 20 feet) Took me a while to find them Friday but ended up catching 30 by myself. Saturday was better and Sunday was even better yet. Yes, most are on the big size. You will need to find a good grade of fish. Cindy and I had 26,27,28 and 30 yesterday. The good news is that a buddy of mine loves spot (he grew up on them in NC) The ones that get banged up or pass on due to natural causes are put on ice and saved for him.
Good Luck fellas.........................................Mar k