Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2014, 06:17 AM

Default 3 rod limit workgroup 3/5/2014 6:00pm

SFAC Recreational Gear Workgroup Meeting - 6 - 8 pm

3/5/2014

Tawes State Office Building, C-1

Contact swidman for more information.

Attachments

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 AM

Rob....I thought this issue was resolved and we were to be back where we were last year before this issue surfaced it's ugly head.

2008 Maycraft 2550XL (The Hunter) - Yamaha F250
Grassy Key, Marathon
<*)))))><
Old 03-05-2014, 09:32 AM

You just keep catching fish in the Keys

My understanding:
The law went into effect last Dec. It can't be repealed (if that happens), until end of June or 1st of July. DNR is ANTICIPATED to issue an emergency order stopping enforcement for this season ONLY. This leaves next season as a possibility

Everything DNR has said, leads us to believe it was done as a "housekeeping" proposal. There has been a 3 rod rule for freshwater for quite some time, so to be consistent, they simply combined fresh and tidal to become the same restriction.

However, if you look deeper, DNR claims they have been in the process of accomplishing this for at least two years They claim it has been under study, gone through the approval process, including public comment period and no opposition was presented by either the public or their representatives (MSSA, CCA, SFAC).

Now, don't those two comments above seem to be opposite of each other? If it was a simple "housekeeping" procedure, why two years of pushing the agenda?

DNR is abandoning the measure this year MOSTLY because the tackle stores complained that a true IMPACT STUDY was not properly done and their business will be adversely affected. Based on this, they are not going to enforce the law this year.

I believe DNR will push to continue to support this restriction. Next year, restrictions appear to be coming. By scaring the hell out of us this year (with the three rod limit), DNR gets us to engage with them on HOW we impose restrictions next year. Will it be a rod restriction, planer board length, slot limit, reduced creel, return to trophy tags, start the season later, etc.; whatever the restriction, we (the rec) are now in the mind frame they want. We are considering WHAT restrictions we will tolerate, we are no longer debating IF restrictions need to take place.

DNR has won the war, we are simply trying to mitigate the consequences

Everyone knows I'm a conspiracy theory person, but that's how I see it working out. I wouldn't mind as much if DNR would come out and tell us, "In order to save the stock, we need to implement some restrictions", but they don't work that way, they do this sneaky underhanded manipulation of the public in order to obtain the result they want.

Politics, Politics, Politics
5th (Marty)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 03-05-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 AM

Default DNR reply about tonight- I hope see you there!!

Yes all our workgroup meetings are open to the public. The goal of tonight's meeting is to discuss all the recreational gear rules again and ask for stakeholder advice related to them. (So we'll be discussing more than the 3 rod limit.) You may want to attend as the 3 rod limit will be discussed. We have heard comments both in favor and opposed and want to have a dialogue about rod limits and what stakeholders want to see in the long run. One obvious option is to make the emergency repeal of the 3 rod limit permanent. However, we want input from our stakeholders regarding other options as well (we'll go over what other coastal states have in place for rod restrictions).

Sarah Widman
MDNR Fisheries Service
410-260-8266

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 7:18 AM
To: Widman, Sarah E
Subject: Tonight's gear meeting?

Is this meeting open to the public to attend? As a troller of multiple rods, is it in my best interest to drive an hour+ to attend or is this just a formality to repeal the 3 rod limit law?

Old 03-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Rob....I thought this issue was resolved and we were to be back where we were last year before this issue surfaced it's ugly head.

Don: Stay in Florida. Nothing left in Maryland except for taxes and sodomy.

I am going tonight to have my input into the subject.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Old 03-05-2014, 04:38 PM

IMHO - It will be repealed next year. Far too much backlash - especially when DNR is allowing a 14% increase in commercial take.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:14 PM

Just for clarification, is it 14% just for comms? I thought it was 14% across the board
Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreboy6 View Post
Just for clarification, is it 14% just for comms? I thought it was 14% across the board
I thought it was across the board as well but it didn't really matter because recs never hit the allowable quota anyway.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreboy6 View Post
The meeting was informative. Marty made some good points and in general it was an open work group. Receptive to opinions and statements.
Dnr is working on having the regulations set back to the normal rod limits for tidal water

The 14% increase is across the board. Comms get a 14% increase in quote.

Rec get a 14% increase on paper no additional fishing days, no increase in bag limit, no decrease in size limit.

PSG

Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post
Rec get a 14% increase on paper no additional fishing days, no increase in bag limit, no decrease in size limit.
It is presumed that all the 2011 year class 16" fish will be 18" this year and anglers will be more successful.

However we have been well below our quota the last few years so we will see. Only good thing is that with the decrease in rec harvest is that MD bay sportsmen will not be hit hard with any ASMFC reductions next year because we have been under quota and we did not increase our opportunity with the 14% increase.