Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 12-07-2015, 01:37 PM

Default 12/5 Bloody Point

Was on the fence about going Saturday morning, but thought there are only couple of weekends left, so headed to Sandy Point. Got down to Bloody Point and everyone was on the west side so I went to the deep hole to begin setting lines. First line out, the parachute was a little fouled so I pick it up and somehow managed to drop the rod overboard in free spool. As I watched the rod disappear I realized I still had the parachute in my other hand. I ended up having to pull all 250 yards of line off the reel to get it back. Then had to respool all the line back on the reel. Wasted about 45 minutes. Not sure if my day was starting off with bad luck, dropping the reel or good luck for getting it back. I have never dropped a rod overboard, so this was a first for me.

I ended up working to the west side and back without any hits. About mid morning, more marks started showing up and moving higher in the water column. I pulled a few lines to check for debris, but didn't have much so left the rest alone. As the morning continued, I was amazed with all the marks I couldn't even snag a fish. I finally picked up a couple of 26-27" fish off a deep chartreuse umbrella north of Bloody Point. Decided to call it quits and troll north pulling rods. Out of 13 rods, 12 had grass or snot on them, which might have accounted for the non catching. I marked fish all the way from Bloody Point to Thomas Point. A lot more marks this week, and more higher up in the water column.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:32 AM

I would call it lucky that you had the bait in your hand, your not out a couple hundred bucks at least. Had it gone over, it would be in good company, I have 1 at BP and another just below the bridge!
Sounds like the debris showed up with the fish. At least you got a couple nice fish for the table and had nice weather to do it! Well done

Old 12-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Yup lucky day like Jeff said not out any money. I have lost a couple as well and caught a couple. But the cost of what I lost far out weighs what I have caught!
Although this past summer I caught one with fish still attached and fresh bait on the hook. Got a nice fish but a POS rod and reel!
Old 12-09-2015, 01:04 PM

I call it great luck not to lose the rod / reel.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:04 PM

I felt lucky to get the reel back and to be able to respool all the line, but did worry the rest of the day what else was going to happen.

I pulled the reel apart Sunday night and the grease and internal parts had already been contaminated. I was surprised how much the water worked through the reel for only being the water for about 15 minutes