Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 PM

Default Croakers anyone?

Anyone smacking HH in decent size and numbers? Thinking about making a overnight trip for them Friday if I can find some not too far away. Coming from 17miles north of the Bay Bridge so not looking to run to solomons or anything but DEALE area north would be good- the closer to home the easier on the wallet. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 AM

Jeff,
I caught a few legals up by you last week, We were perchin in the middle of the day. Don't know about the night bite.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 PM

The croakers this season in the South River area have been hit or miss if you discount the teeny ones mixed in with the spot in 10 to 15 feet of water. We did fairly well about a month ago during the day while drifting for them near the #1 green at the Rhode West, but couldn't buy one (in much rougher weather) a few days later at night.

We were with a pro (the Miss Chesapeake beach) a couple weeks back, slayed the rockfish live lining, but when croaker o'clock arrived after sunset, there were only a handful of bronzebacks to be had.

I think it's going to be good in a few years when all these teeny ones grow up. Last season, 3 to 4 inchers were a dime a dozen in the shallow oyster bars in 10 to 15 feet. This year in those same areas, they are running 5 to 7 inches. If there is not a kill-off, it's going to be on like Donkey Kong with the jumbo croaks in 2 to 4 years...

...Good luck!

Don
Old 07-12-2013, 06:40 PM

I got a few over 14'' off Podickery in 22 feet about a month ago - by accident - was Perch fishing. Been getting a lot of just legal 9-10 inchers ( good live lining bait -Shhhh ) every trip but none larger.

Podickery and Hacketts used to give up keepers in evening / night - imagine still holds true.

Peeler crab was favorite bait with raw shrimp or squid second choice. Bloodworm will also work but tough getting large ones and at $1.00 a piece - tough using a " tooth pick " worm for bait. If you can find minnows - they are old school secret bait.

When we go out for Croaker - I often take 6-7 different baits. No idea why but some times they only hit one type - or a weird combo like squid with bloodworm sandwich.

I read Croaker only live about 4-6 years and grow fast. Have to wonder where all those tiny ones from 2011 are. Should be 16-18 inchers by now.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:00 PM

Mother Nature must have thought I was going to be TOO successful and catch a limit of 30"+ world record croaker soooo she DUMPED bucketfuls on my parade. Thanks for the suggestions, and I will plan to go in a couple weeks- headed to Alaska fishing Monday!

BTW, I did get even with Mother Nature this morning and had a great trolling trip with my bride