Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Default Props to the Coast Guard

I had configured my VHF radio's DSC capability a few days ago. Today, I was tinkering around on the boat with my 3 yr old. I was on the bow and he was at the helm. Apparently, he couldn't resist lifting the little red distress button cover and pushing it a couple of times. My radio starts going beserk and i look back at him and he's got this "ooooohhhhh fuuuuuuddgge" look on his face. I ran back to the radio and within a minute the CG comes over with a voice relay of the distress call (they know my vessel name and position). I try to respond but my PTT button ain't workin. Now, I got this "oooooooohhhhh fuuuuuuuuudddggee" look on my face. A couple of minutes later, two helos overfly my house at tree top level. I'm not 100% sure it was related to the distress but the timing of it was a huge coincidence if not.

I run into the house to call the CG on the phone and my machine is blinking with a message. Apparently they called me already! Right before I picked up the phone to call them back, the phone rings again. "US GOVT" on the caller id. I pick it up and explain the situation to them. They understood and sympathized with the little one!

If you don't have a DSC capable radio, get one! If you have one, set it up! It's nice to know this stuff works the way it's supposed to. And BZ to the Coasties for the rapid response!

Last edited by Slayer; 03-16-2010 at 04:56 PM.