Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 AM

Thumbs up What a day we had

I'm just going to copy and paste my buddy Bill's report that he put on TF.... I know some of you guys tryed to help me post a pic but I still can't figure it out. I can email someone the pic's I have and you can post them for me.

This is Bill's Report...

Yesterday (Saturday) what a day! First trip for me to CBBT. The rest of the crew included Steve F, Uncle Phill and TKSmitty for this virgin trip of mine. We went down the night before so we could get a early start. Splashed Tim’s between 6:30A and 7:00A. Tim’s boat, awesome! Go figure, the water was pretty flat but the comfort of that boat in the January morning air could spoil a man.

First we went out to the bridge and made maybe a dozen casts. Nothing but it was a half of an effort. We didn’t make this trip to catch only smaller fish so we decided to head out to the ocean to look for some bird activity. After about a 7-8 mile ride, and stopping to look a few times we decide to head back into the bridge. We saw birds but nothing working.

Once at the bridge, Tim put us on fish right away and we all caught 6-10 fish drifting through the pylons. Nothing over 24” but all nice football shaped fish. Pretty fun!

We messed around hoping to see some bird activity on the ocean side and decided to work our way down to #3 island. On our way down we saw massive amount s of bait, just covering the bottom. As we went around the island we saw a group of seals splashing right off some of the rocks. About 50 birds were feeding in the shallow water next to them. We made a few casts in their direction….nothing. Cool to see those seals.

Tim pulled out his binoculars and started survey the bayside. He calmly said there was bird activity, big bird activity several miles north. Myself, Phill and Steve looked through is glasses and saw a few birds working, only a few. Tim said no, not a few birds but maybe a hundred thousand birds. We looked again, but couldn’t find them. Guess maybe I was looking through the wrong end? I don’t know. Tim fired up the engine and we were heading towards the “promise land”. Wasn’t long until we notice another boat following us.

As we approached, it became clearer. The birds were unbelievable! Pictures can’t do justice! Now I’m a novice at this stuff, so I can’t compare it to anything. But the rest of the crew said they had never seen a bird show like this one! Made me feel good to be a part of it with those seasoned fishermen. Birds were snowing from the sky. It was a blizzard!

The rest is a little blurry cause it was fast and furious. We didn’t mark stacks of fish but they were scattered everywhere. Everyone hooked on the first cast. Don’t know for sure but at least 4 times we all had fish on at the same time. Big fish. Big Big fish.
Overall we jigged up 20 to 25 fish with only two under 40” and they where high 30s. Biggest went a little over 45”.

Steve, Tim and of course me landed our personal bests! I actually did it twice yesterday. I’m posting some pictures and will post more if some of the guys send them to me. My biggest was not on my camera so I hope someone else got it. If not, that’s OK because I know I caught it.

Yesterday was a day I’ll remember for the rest of my life. Great weather, great fish and a bird show to boot. Bonus was fishing with a great group of guys. If the catching is never topped for me again, I’m OK with that.
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM

Can you net some of those birds and bring them north with you?

I'm dying to get in on some action like that. What were you throwing at them?

Sounds like a great trip Steve, thanks for rubbing it in!! (Just kidding of course!)
Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Steve: Thanks for the report. Joe T. and I are gonna give it a go this weekend if the weather holds. Fingers crossed. ML
Old 01-31-2012, 07:03 AM

Scott- All we thru at them was BKD 6" and 10" and I will have to say they were not hitting it very hard but I did have one that about pull the rod out of my hand.

Mike- If you like give me a call and I will let you know where we found them and I'll give you any help I can.
Contact Info:
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM

I hope this works... I can't find the other pic's that I downloaded. If this works this will be me with my personal best and the other pic is some of the birds working....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0133.jpg (92.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0132.jpg (89.6 KB, 15 views)
Contact Info:
Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 AM

I found 1 more this is my buddy Bill with his personal best
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0135.jpg (89.5 KB, 9 views)
Contact Info:
Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 AM

Wow! Double congrats!!!! You landed GREAT fish, AND you got your pictures posted!

All last year we couldn't find any action worth throwing our BKD's to. And that's a shame because that's my favorite kind of fishing.......well maybe topwater bass fishing is more fun....close call.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 AM

Oh one more thing....

OMG those birds are awesome!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM

Oh Steve, go **** yourself....
Old 01-31-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Oh one more thing....

OMG those birds are awesome!

That picture, nor any of mine, do not do the bird scene justice. It was UN ****ING REAL. I've never seen that many gannets in my life, combined, as I saw on Saturday. It was thousands and thousands. Truly a spectacle.