Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 PM

Default Curious: NRP Checks

I hear some say they never get checked, others say they always get checked. Post up here when you are checked this year. I tend to be one of frequent checks since I boat out of popular areas such as outside solomons and SPSP most frequently.This isnt a bash or praise NRP thread just to see how often anglers are getting checked to see levels of enforcement on the water with what they have.

So Far I have had 2 checks: Once in March at the CCNPP Rips where I got a full boat inspection including looking in my hatches

2nd check was last sat in the mouth of the severn. Officer pulled up and checked our number of lines and asked if we had stingers and or barbs on our hooks. Did not board us.

I have never had a rude or ignorant inspection. I have always been treated nicely and respectfully.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:19 PM

I was also checked on Saturday -13th.

Again on Weds - 17th.

Different officer each time.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:12 PM

I'm rack stored so never trailer to popular ramps. Never been stopped for any reason FWIW
Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 AM

BF, I was asked by the Dept to join up here in order to let you know your frequent checks are because you're a shady dude..

Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM

I forgot to post this but last week I saw a couple of DNR/NRP officers in an unmarked boat (approx 18-19') coming back into the Sandy Point marina area. Can't say for sure if they were smokies in a plain wrapper or just bringing their personal boat to work. I took a pic but don't want to post it as I agree with whatever tactic they use to enforce the rules. Just want to give those here a heads up that they are not always going to be in a recognizable vessel.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot gumbo View Post
BF, I was asked by the Dept to join up here in order to let you know your frequent checks are because you're a shady dude..
Shady aint the word... I am like a gangsta with my pants down low...

Due to my youngest puking her guts up all day sat and my wife having errands to run, we only got out for a few hours late Sat afternoon and trolled from the Mouth of the severn to TPL. We caught a skunk in that window.

DNR was at SPSP checking many of the boats that came in. Last I heard from the one guy was they checked 6 fish out of more than 50 boats they checked that came in.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 04-22-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Default Nrp

I was checked on the 13th and 14th, not boarded, just came along side to check my sticker and count my rods and chit chat for a few.
Saturday was a single guy, Sunday was a crew of 3.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 AM

I got interviewed by DNR yesterday at the SPSP ramp.

Questions asked included:
  • How many fish kept
  • How many fish released
  • How long was I on the water
  • How many rods I was using
  • How many trips I make a year
  • How much I spent on the trip
  • Was I happy with the current regulations
  • Any changes to the regulations I would like to see

I wasnt sure how to answer the amount spent. MRFSS interviewers always were specific and asked how much I spent on the trip not including gear (Ie. fuel, ice, food). I was in a rush to get my daughters off the bus so I didnt probe the question and said what I probably spent on fuel. Thinking back I should have included all the new lures, shads, and gear I bought earlier this week, the boat, the truck, the trailer, registration fees, etc.

I was glad to hear them ask about regulations. I told them I was satisfied for the most part with the regulations. However I would love to see the season go to the end of December because that is the best month for fishing the bay and I hate having to go the VA to keep one fish when the fishing is great in MD.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 PM

Tuesday the 7th off the Magothy, officers pulled up checked stickers, asked how the fishing was, asked to see a life jacket and then were on their way. Nice fellas.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 PM

Same with me...A week ago....I am guessing it was a younger guy, maybe late 20's, crew cut, and more interested about people not following fishing rules than whether or not you had a fire extinguisher...Really nice guy...Talked to him many times...