Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM

Default CBA Meeting at Howard's Subway

Well it's that time of year, when the fishing slows and the flea markets have not yet begun. So, it looks like a great opportunity to get together again at Howards Subway (711 North Hammonds Ferry Rd. Linthicum, Md. 21090) for a beer and some fishing stories.

I reserved the "game" room for Tuesday night Jan. 8th from 6:30-9:00 pm.

Last year, Rob (fishnut) and his Dad showed up with some of his beautiful parachute lures. His baits are first class in both quality and looks. I even talked him into painting some "chins" on a few baits. I also believe he is producing some 2 oz lures this year (previous 3 oz was his lightest). He also sent me a photo of a prototype "slider lure" he is contemplating making. I used "sliders" last PSCR season because I can set the single hook back farther into the shad (close to where a stinger might ride; and I can grind off the hook barb with out destroying the whole bait, as in a regular chute).

Capt. John also came to the meeting and brought some of his lures, spreaders, and umbrellas for those interested in picking up a few rigs for our "resident" rock, blues, and spanish after trophy season ends.

Finally; I have information concerning the trolling rods I purchased from Tochterman's last year. Several of you have expressed interest in getting some of them for this coming year. Tony Tochterman said he will give me the same deal as last year. The rods were $50 for one; $45 for three; or $40 for six or more. He is currently negotiating with the company for this years price and MAY NOT be able to honor this price at the coming flea markets. He will allow us to "bundle" our order. So, If you only want one rod, but five others want one as well, we can put in an order for six and get the lowest price.
These rods have been used by me on my boat and on the charter "Patent Pending" all year. They have held up very well, and Tony said he has seen very few come back to the store for repairs. He did suggest using a bead on your line to protect the tip "Eye", as he did see some inserts pop out because of a snap swivel being brought up too high and too fast and damaging the eye. I always run a bead on my, and the charter, equipment.
I will post a photo of the rods in another post. They are available in two sizes; 6ft and 5 1/2 ft. They also come in both med and med/heavy action (I use M/H).

So; if you can get away for a couple hours; I'll see you at Howard's on Tues. night.

5th (Marty)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM

Default Trolling rods

Here are some photo's of the rod that Tony sells.

Starting at the bottom, you will see it has a round gimble. This has two advantages. First, when fighting a fish, the round butt doesn't dig into you and cause discomfort, it is easy on the hip. Second, when you put the rod in the holder, it falls easily into place. How many times do you "struggle" to find the bar at the bottom of the holder in order to "seat" the rod in the correct position. The only drawback, is the round butt takes up just a tiny bit more room in the holder, and in mine, it goes in, but when a fish is on and the rod is removed in a hurry, the insert comes out of the holder with the rod. I simply remove the inserts out of my rocket launchers and all is well. It fits just fine in the gunnel holders, no problem.

Above the gimble, you will see the rod has a "slick butt". This makes it easier to remove the rod from the holder with a heavy fish attached.

Next you will see metal reel seats (gold in color). These are not plastic and hold up well.

Above that is a cushioned "forearm" to give you excelent leverage while fighting your fish.

Finally, you will see 8 line guides on a six ft rod The 5 1/2 ft model has 7 rod guides.

I use the 6 ft rods for my board lines, and the 5 1/2 ft rods as my boat rods. The main reason I need two sizes, is if I use the smaller rod on the gunnel, my planer board (weedwacker) line doesn't hit the rod if I have to make a tight turn. I have used the smaller rods with umbrella's back 200 ft with no problem.

For $40 I don't know of another rod that can match it

5th (Marty)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gimble.jpg (16.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg rod.jpg (14.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg eyes.jpg (14.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM

That is a nice rod and tough to beat the price.

One thing to look at is number of guides. Cheap rods often have only 4.

Seeing 7 and 8 guides on these rods says some thing.

I'll try to make Howard's on Tuesday.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM

Skip; I hope you can make it, I want you to "spill the beans" on Greg Buckner's spread. Dan (1morecast) went with Buckner and I "picked" his brain already.

Those rods are sweet. I have always used 6 1/2 ft rods, but not only do the 6 ft rods work just as well, they are easier to store in the cabin.

Captain John liked them so much, that he has become a distributer for them as well. He is such a small operation, I don't know if he can match that price. He did give me three of them as a Christmas present though.

If you think you can make the meeting; please post here on CBA. I can give the barmaid some idea of the number of patrons to expect.
Thanks,
5th (Marty)
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 PM

Sorry I can't make it, already have 2 things happening that evening.

Ed and I do want to pick up some more of Captain John's lures for the resident fish. Are you all going to be at any of the shows this winter?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=PhilK999 Ed and I do want to pick up some more of Captain John's lures for the resident fish. Are you all going to be at any of the shows this winter?[/QUOTE]

Captain John and I will be at the Kent Island MSSA show and I'm guessing he will be at the Tri-State show because it's in his own backyard (Deale).
5th (Marty)
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM

I'm in for a beer or three.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Captain John and I will be at the Kent Island MSSA show and I'm guessing he will be at the Tri-State show because it's in his own backyard (Deale).
5th (Marty)

There goes the neighborhood …..

Place two more on the List.

I will bring some new lures I have been working on. I always like to add some new things each year.

So far I have:

slider lures

Small 1oz nylon Buck tail lures with a 4” teaser 6 pack.

I also have a sweet gold color I am using this year.

And some other top secret designs BIG LIPPED RUBY…..

I heard Howard’s Has a drink called the Rattle Trap? Mike must be making his rounds!!!!!!!

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM

Rob; glad you and your dad can make it. Capt John wants to put in an order for more of your lures.
5th (Marty)
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post
There goes the neighborhood …..

Place two more on the List.

I will bring some new lures I have been working on. I always like to add some new things each year.

So far I have:

slider lures

Small 1oz nylon Buck tail lures with a 4” teaser 6 pack.

I also have a sweet gold color I am using this year.

And some other top secret designs BIG LIPPED RUBY…..

I heard Howard’s Has a drink called the Rattle Trap? Mike must be making his rounds!!!!!!!
I'm real interested in that 1oz nylon Buck tail lure with the 4” teaser 6 pack....I'll tell you why at Howard's.

You know any drink named in Mike's honor will contain at least 2 different types of rum and is guarunteed to kick your ass.