Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 01-11-2012, 07:29 PM

Default Good day off PLO 1/10 w lot of pics

Saw a weather window too good to miss. Using a marine weather map - noticed decent water temperature still off Smith Point so decided to take another shot. Va. Beach looked very tempting but too far for a day trip - PLO is far enough.

Fellow TFers Mark1234 ( Mark S ) , Mlag ( Mark L ) and axxell33 ( Brad ) were game to try so we left warm houses and headed on the long drive to PLO ramp. Roads were damp from snow the night before but luckily not icy. Bigger worry was fog as we drove south - going over Solomons bridge - could not see the river below. Got to PLO at 7:30 and saw TFer Bfaithful's truck / trailer. He had about a 45 minute jump on us. Quickly launched and readied all the gear. While engines warmed up - went over a man overboard drill and discussed first aid in case one of us decided to go swimming.

Once through the jetty - saw a slight chop that we quartered through on our way to Smith Point. Radar showed one lone boat - safe bet who it was. Quick call on VHF confirmed it and Greg said they had just released a fish. We ran about a mile south of Greg and began putting out the spread. Mark and Mark set out port side while Brad and I set out starboard. I remarked how good a new lure looked in the water - guess one of the old lures heard me because it got hit. We only had about 8 rods out - what a great start.

Brad did a good job getting the fish to the boat - much better job then I did landing it for him . My excuse was the fish was camera shy. Fish hit a beat up 6 oz chatreuse Alien.

We got the rest of the rods out and then circled back to see if any more fish were there. We all joked about the TFers teasing me about my ancient Furuno but it sure showed the bait pockets well. Planer board rod got hit and Mark S was fast to a feisty fish. It hit the new lure I though looked so good. Spankin' Striper white with a green glitter shad.

We worked east / west with no one other then Greg any where in sight. Clouds were breaking up and sun tried to burn them off. Next fish hit and we let Brad get another turn since his first fish did not get a picture taken.

Sun came out which really warmed things up - only trouble , the donuts melted but still were good. Waves laid down and every one just knew another fish was going to hit. Saw nice marks on the meter and sure enough - fish hit - on both sides. Mark L and Brad reeled in nice fish - tough to beat that.

The incoming current slowed and so did the catching. Reeled up the deep wire rig and replaced a gold Tony #21 with a 13/0 Cripple Alewive spoon in yellow / white / orange. Few blips I saw deep looked like good fish and figured they might want a bigger lure. Had a hit off a single up high and crew let me reel in the fish. It hit one of my favorites - purple shad on a white parachute with purple head from Marty's.

Ate some excellent deer bolonga and searched along the channel edge where we saw 1 gannet sitting. Saw fish deep and sure enough - one hit the downrigger with chartreuse umbrella.

Wind dropped out to almost nothing and air warmed up nicely. We trolled towards the light and remarked how clear the water is. Heard a thud of a rod - then an odd sound. ZZZZZZ ???? Think it is called drag. Mark S got his butt kicked by the fat fish but finally got her to the boat. Quick measurement showed 43 inches.

We all commented how fat the fish was and plan to use a bathroom scale to weigh them next trip. This way - fish is not hurt. Just step on holding fish - record total weight. Release fish - then weigh angler. Quick subtraction gives fish weight. Seeing that one - I pulled in the 13/0 Cripple Alewive and put over the biggest spoon I have. The large silver Reliable bunker spoon soon had the rod pumping. We could turn circles at will - a luxury rare to have. Stayed in about a 2 mile radius - seeing enough on the meter and catching enough to stay. It was now almost calm and current began to move.

Sure enough current got fish feeding and Brad reeled in another mid 30 incher. We let it go in the water but still took a photo.

Heard that strange ZZZZZZ noise again and Mark L took the rod. Fish really put on a show and stayed deep the entire fight. Brad did a nice landing job - we do not use a net C/R fishing. 44 incher was a handful for Mark to hold.

Not sure a day can be any better in January. Good friends , calm seas , fish hitting and water all to ourselves.
Well , it did get better - officially became flat calm.

We could hardly believe our good fortune as fish continued to bite. The deep wire noodle with the big spoon get hit and the guys pointed to me to reel it in. It pulled hard and the wire transferred every head shake.

The fish fought hard but was not the beast we hoped for. The 36 +/- shows that no lure is too large for Rockfish.

The guys swept the deck clear of sea lice and we all knew slowly the day was drawing to a close.

With four guys reeling in rods - it did not take long to get the spread in. Boards were pulled in and every thing double checked - then we raced the setting sun at 33 knots. Few times you can do that in January off PLO.

With 11 miles to go - it was going to be a tight finish.

Sun dropped just as we made the jetty - guess we can call it a tie. We loaded the boat but took time to enjoy the last of a great day.

We headed out reliving the day's catching. Miles went fast until the Rt. 235 / Rt 4 turn where traffic was stopped for about 40 minutes due to a wreck. Did not get home until 8:30 - dog tired but worth every minute. The guys helped me flush motors and give the boat a quick wash - luckily she did not get salty or dirty.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:02 AM

Looks like you guys had a great day and caught some very nice fish. Got me itching to get out on the water myself.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:58 AM

Skip's pictures don't lie and there's no way to overstate how perfect the weather turned out.

It was fun listening to the vhf....all by ourselves. Didn't hear a single transmission from anyone else the entire day.

May the fishing Gods bless us all with a season of great fishing that never ends.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:50 PM

A month and a half late, but great post Skip! Just what I needed on this warm Feb day! Getting me all pumped up and i'm starting to get the rockfish fever! Ready to roll!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old No.7 View Post
A month and a half late, but great post Skip! Just what I needed on this warm Feb day! Getting me all pumped up and i'm starting to get the rockfish fever! Ready to roll!
You and me both! reading that post again reminded me how much I love being in the water, and warm days like today add to it.

Thanks for posting and bringing this thread back up top....it was an awesome day!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Will not be much longer if this warm weather continues.

I'm betting some Rock will be around Breezy when the ramps open on March 1st.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Will not be much longer if this warm weather continues.

I'm betting some Rock will be around Breezy when the ramps open on March 1st.
Feb 29th you can pull a full spread