Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2019, 08:36 AM

Default It Finally Happened, 4/11/2019

Walked outside and heard the pleasant sounds of baitfish breaking the calm water.

Time to get the kayak ready.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:48 AM

Well;
It can only get better I've been out 6 times (3 my boat, 3 friends boat) without as much as a touch. I've been in all kinds of water.
First saw marks down 60 ft (70 ft depth) when water was cold (low 40's). As temps increased, I marked some bait in 35-50 ft (with gannets flying or sitting).

Another trip took us into as shallow as 18 ft looking for those fish sometimes caught in the pound nets I figured warm water was either in 60 ft (bay hasn't "flipped") or in shallow water.

Last trip out bay proper was above 50*. We had 4 boats out searching. I decided to explore Easten Bay. It was a desert. The day was totally calm and I expected to see bait flipping on the surface. No birds, no bait, no rockfish

With bay temps now above 50* steadily, I figured more bait will be showing up (if it hasn't already been ground up for fish oil pills, fertilizer, and whatever else Omega sells it for).

Next Wed's long range forecast calls for light winds and temp's in the upper 60's to lower 70's; so I'll most likely be trying again.

So, I have a challenge for all CBA's. Mako Mike has NEVER seen a rockfish caught off planer boards. I've been trying for two years (PSCR or early Trophy season) to get the job done without success.

He's scheduled for surgery AGAIN in mid-late May; if you get a chance to have him jump onboard, contact him and show him how it's done

If I do anything Wed.; you can be sure a photo will be posted here

5th
Old 04-14-2019, 06:41 AM

Outriggers are the key. Throw the boards away. Toss over a couple of naked "Hoos" and have at it

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 04-14-2019, 03:23 PM

Bruce,

Don't laugh but I have seriously thought about doing just that.

Mike
Old 04-15-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Well;
It can only get better I've been out 6 times (3 my boat, 3 friends boat) without as much as a touch. I've been in all kinds of water.
First saw marks down 60 ft (70 ft depth) when water was cold (low 40's). As temps increased, I marked some bait in 35-50 ft (with gannets flying or sitting).

Another trip took us into as shallow as 18 ft looking for those fish sometimes caught in the pound nets I figured warm water was either in 60 ft (bay hasn't "flipped") or in shallow water.

Last trip out bay proper was above 50*. We had 4 boats out searching. I decided to explore Eastern Bay. It was a desert. The day was totally calm and I expected to see bait flipping on the surface. No birds, no bait, no rockfish

5th
Let me know the next time you come around Eastern Bay. I can get you on some spots that almost always produce SOMETHING.

The commercial dredges have been working the clam lines pretty regularly. One was out this morning around 6:30 when it was absolutely GORGEOUS out.Eastern Bay was dead flat. Then it was like someone flipped a switch and all hell broke loose.Eastern Bay was snotty but the big bay was atrocious. My wife called me around 10am to come up to Queen Anne Marina and help secure part of the building that was getting destroyed by the wind. Easily 6' waves crashing into the shoreline. And I'm certain one of the big anchored ships had dragged across the channel and grounded on the eastern side of the bay. If it wasn't grounded it was soon to be.

On a more positive note, the Osprey seem to be eating quite well.