Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Something that I am doing to keep the work load and price down is keeping the jighead natural color, adding eyes, but then clear coating it. It's actually a pretty jighead and it saves a lot on labor and cost. If you fish with me for any time, you know I never paint my jig heads that I use personally. I think it's a waste.

Kimbro will vouch for me, that I have fished plenty of times side by side with someone using really good looking jigheads and I am smoking them using an unpainted banged up piece of crap. Of course, the opposite is true as well.

I hope to make the 2oz sizes and 2.5oz sizes in both extremely short shank hooks for 5" plastic and big shank hooks for 10" BKD's. In some cases I have to do some things to the mold but it's working well. I do have some style H heads that are big with large hooks.

I sent a couple of you guys B-mails.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 PM

I will no longer buy Storm Shads due to the recent repackaging and price increase.....
So for the last 2 months I have been using 1 1/2 oz BKD jigheads with a 10/0 hook and putting 6" shads on them after trimming the head on the shad........the catch rate is the same.....and if the tail wears off or gets bitten off just replace the shad body.

I'd be interested in 1 1/2 oz arrowhead jigs with a large hook and large eyes......will buy in bulk.....PM me when you get a price idea...
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 12-03-2009, 02:49 PM

Will do. What I will probably do with people who want to buy in bulk with something a little special is make up ONE, and then take pictures/send it to you as a "proof" and then if it's what you're looking for, make a ton for you guys.

I will be able to do special sizes and colors that way.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:00 PM

The first thing I look at is the hook. I want a good quality SHARP hook with a decent gape to give the point clearance from the bait. Lead is lead, 3/4 oz. is 3/4 oz. Some shapes may sink a little faster or dig in then other but I really don't know if its enough to make a difference. I typically buy the BKD heads from Alltackle since or if I HAVE TO from Anglers in a pinch. They are the best I have found so far. But like you said they can get pricey. I'm with you Francis on the paint job, think it catches more sales then fish. Could be wrong. I have some heads that Paul gave me that Mike Burgess made. Haven't used any yet but the hooks seem on the smallish side.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Baldzilla

Doing this from my phone so can't read all the other responses but I primarily jig and here are the problems with the heads I use (I use mike burgesses and I really like them but improvements can be made)
1) shank on hook and hook in general pretty much too small. Gets lost in a 10" bkd
2) can't use them on smaller baits or they tear the plastic (above 1 oz ers)
3) eyes fall off so not real necessary

he uses a great sharp hook though. I'd be interested in whatever you can make especially if these improvements are Inc.
Mark
Old 12-03-2009, 03:48 PM

I really like the small hook for 5" BA's and 6"BKD's but when using a 7" BA, 10" BKD or some other bait, you really need a big hook. I agree.

As I said, I am in the planning stages of this, and want to evidently produce a quality lure that really work for the fisherman but at a realistic price.

At the end of the day, nobody can deny that you're eventually just losing them on the bottom, and breaking them off.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldzilla View Post
Doing this from my phone so can't read all the other responses but I primarily jig and here are the problems with the heads I use (I use mike burgesses and I really like them but improvements can be made)
1) shank on hook and hook in general pretty much too small. Gets lost in a 10" bkd
2) can't use them on smaller baits or they tear the plastic (above 1 oz ers)
3) eyes fall off so not real necessary

he uses a great sharp hook though. I'd be interested in whatever you can make especially if these improvements are Inc.
Mark
Yeah. I am working on the hook size issue. I think there needs to be one hook for small lures and another hook for bigger lures.

As far as the eyes, I think they're all going to fall off. A jig heads gets a lot of abuse. Trolling baits eyes last a long time but not if you jigged them like you do a jighead (trust me)

I am clear coating the lures after I put on the eyes, and that helps, but, again these things just get used and abused until they're lost on the bottom.

I am going to make up a few prototypes and see how you all like them.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
Yeah. I am working on the hook size issue. I think there needs to be one hook for small lures and another hook for bigger lures.

As far as the eyes, I think they're all going to fall off. A jig heads gets a lot of abuse. Trolling baits eyes last a long time but not if you jigged them like you do a jighead (trust me)

I am clear coating the lures after I put on the eyes, and that helps, but, again these things just get used and abused until they're lost on the bottom.

I am going to make up a few prototypes and see how you all like them.
Francis, Love it! Especially with a long shank sharp hook for the 10 inchers! Maybe we can hook up and give them a test run at CBBT!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 AM

Francis,
Maybe not something I "want" from a jighead. But something I'd like is to see jig-heads made for specific baits. Here is what I mean - like many I'm sure, I use different size BKD's for different seasons - bigger sizes when big fish are around / smaller when small fish are around...makes sense. However, while I like having similar weight heads, I like to change the length of the hook to match the bait better. I found some heads at BPS that had a longer shank and they worked much better for me this summer/fall when fishing bigger baits than heads with a shorter shank (but same weight). Not sure if I'm making sense about the specifics, but in general, keeping the differences in plastic baits in mind when making them would be useful in my book.
Cheers,
bob
Old 12-04-2009, 01:47 PM

Francis,
my biggest gripe about jigheads is the "keeper" is usually too big and it ends up splitting the body of the bait...especially if you need a heavier jig with and short bodied bait
it doesn't take a big keeper to keep the bait on the hook....unless you use those Elaztech bodies and then you glue them anyway.

more than most other details i look for sharp, sturdy hooks with a gap large enough to handle the size body i'll be using.

looking forward to your prototypes!

170CC Proline
MSSA (NW Chapter)