Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 PM

In all seriousness, I think Charlie was scheduled for his first skin grafts today. Say a quick prayer that all went well
5th
Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Jeff, if Mike swings through Baltimore's "Block", I was counting on you to bring the exam table and stirrups
5th
I am so sorry I have to miss out.
The stirrups are actually in the shop for a tune up next week.
Sometimes I feel I disappoint you more than I disappoint my own family and believe me, that's saying something!!

Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 PM

Great news. Charlie had his skin grafts on Thursday and is schedualed to come home Monday. He is in good spirits and looking forward to the final stage of re cooperating and healing.
He thanks everyone for their concern and prayers
5th
Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 AM

Great news about Charlie. He better recuperated enough for the spring flea market season. A few Beef sandwiches are calling his name at ESSEX MSSA. Look forward to the talk Monday Night

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
On Monday night, I will be presenting a Power Point presentation on Mycobacterium marinum (fish handlers disease), MRSA (methicillin resistant Staph. aureus), and Vibrio (Vibrio vulnificus). The good news is that I have someone from the State Health Dept. coming as well. My area of expertice is with Myco. only. I have a general background and can answer some questions about MRSA and Vibrio, but Dr. David Blythe, assistant director of the Office of Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Outbreak Response, will be there to answer questions.
I have called in some favors (from my years of working with DHMH) to get Dr. Blythe (or a representative) to appear at our meeting.
We all know of Tawn's and Charlie's infections this summer. Tawn will be at the meeting to give an account of his experience. Charlie wishes he could be available, but he is receiving skin grafts this week on his legs. Keep Charlie in your prayers, he still has a way to go until full recovery.

Rick, from Fishoff Gloves will be there at my request. He will be selling his gloves. They are a great option for preventing some of these infections.

Capt. John Whittman will be there selling his spoons, spreader bars, and umbrella's just in time for the Blues and Spanish Mackerel.

The MSSA meeting will be held at the American Legion Post #175. It is on Manhattan Beach Rd, Severna Park, Md. 21146. Doors open at 7pm and the meeting starts at 7:30pm. Please try to attend.
5th (Marty)
Marty,
Thanks for the presentation and for lining up Dr. Blythe. I learned alot and I thought it was interesting that soap and water would be the best solution to wash out a wound. I am fortunate enough to have running water on my boat so it makes it easy for me. I also scored a new pair of gloves from Rick.

bhl (Bruce)

Last edited by bhl; 08-21-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: adding a name
Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 PM

Bruce, I too was surprised that soap & water was preferred. I'm from the Tim Allen (Tim the Toolman Taylor) vein, I think bigger (stronger) is better.
Dr Blythe doesn't do much fishing, if any at all. His thought process is that flushing the wound with soap and water, will not cause any additional trauma to the skin surrounding the wound. Stronger solutions (alcohol, Betadine, bleach) will do this.
Additionally, he says to leave the wound open to the air. Do not cover it with an antiseptic cream and a bandage. Doing this, exposes the fisherman to anaerobic organisms (those not needing oxygen to replicate). These anaerobic organisms are dangerous as well.
On my boat, I may only have bottle water available. I can see flushing the wound with water, but then I might cover it (bandaid) because I'm continually dipping bait, and keeping my hands in harms way.
Today, I had a hook rip a gash in my finger. I used soap & water, then a clean paper towel to put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding. I went right back to "mateing". I couldn't quit, go sit down and say I was done for the day
My hand stayed wet all morning
I probably would have felt better with Betadine poured over the area as extra protection
Dr Blythe probably deals with people who injure themselves, get treatment, and go home for the rest of the day
I did find his Q & A session informative and thought provoking.
5th
Old 08-21-2013, 08:13 PM

I'm leaning towards 68% internal alcohol content to ward off these nasty germs

Marty , excellent presentation - think everyone there learned something.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:54 PM

Marty,

If I keep something 40% alcohol (80 proof) on the boat...Will that work as well ?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:37 AM

The other line of reasoning behind using soap and water is that the more anti-bacterial products we continue to use, the stronger and more resistant the bacteria gets.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I'm leaning towards 68% internal alcohol content to ward off these nasty germs

Marty , excellent presentation - think everyone there learned something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
Marty,

If I keep something 40% alcohol (80 proof) on the boat...Will that work as well ?

When you have a vocation such as ours (fishing), there is a greater likely hood of getting a puncture wound. Fish hook and dorsal fin injuries push the organism deep into the tissue of the body. This action makes getting an antiseptic to the infection difficult. Therefore, I would consider trying to kill the organism from the inside a great idea. Wash the outside with clean water and carry a small flask of 80 proof for the inside
Hey, it worked for Mountain Men and Cowboys. Also remember to carry a piece of a tree branch to place between your teeth when your buddy has to dig a treble hook out of your body
5th