Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2013, 01:13 PM

Default Calling in favors - fix up something wrong in this world

I know some on here are in construction or handy with tools.

Could use some help next weekend and following week in Severn - near BWI airport.

Lady near me was dealt a sh*tty hand - hope to fix at least some of it.

Hanging new drywall - putting down Pargo flooring - trim out two doors and hang one new one.

Following week - 12th-16th - be painting , etc. If you can help - let me know-thanks.

One mirror was broken on a dresser - any one do that type work ?

Here's story from local paper - some evil people live in this world.

For woman nearly killed in Severn, the crime scene is home.

Deanna Ries-Pace stands in her bedroom in Severn, where she almost died in a brutal attack by her boyfriend. Her finances have forced her to continue living at the crime scene.

View all 6 images in gallery.

Jarob D. Walsh, 30, a U.S. Army veteran, told "60 Minutes" he suffered post-traumatic stress disorder after surviving a deadly 2004 attack in Baghdad. Walsh is serving a 30-year prison sentence for the attempted murder of his girlfriend in Severn.
How to help:
A fundraiser has been set up to help Deanna Ries-Pace pay for medical bills, crime scene cleanup and other matters arising from the attack. If you would like to help, please visit http://www.gofundme.com/3g8l0k.
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 5:23 pm, Tue Jul 16, 2013.
By HEATHER RAWLYK hrawlyk@capgaznews.com
It took layers of paint to cover the blood, her blood, spattered on the living room walls.
With each stroke of the brush, Deanna Ries-Pace flashes back to the night she was nearly beaten to death in her Severn home.
She was already living paycheck-to-paycheck before it happened. Afterward, paying a crew to clean the home — the crime scene — was not an option.
She can’t afford to move.
Jarob Walsh was sentenced to the maximum 30 years for trying to kill the 34-year-old single mother in the early morning hours of Dec. 10, 2011. On Wednesday, three county judges denied his request for a sentence modification.
But the story is far from over for Ries-Pace. Eighteen months after the attack, the crime has left her emotionally, physically and financially broken.
“I have to continue to live here, in my own near-death crime scene,” she said. “Here I stand with nothing. I have nothing but blood everywhere.”
‘We had fun’

The couple met online about six months before the attack.
Soon after, Walsh moved into the apartment Ries-Pace called home, a cramped basement unit within the Thompson Avenue house where her grandmother raised her. Her 73-year-old grandmother, Betty Brown, and 14-year-old daughter, Alexis, live upstairs.
Ries-Pace said Walsh was sweet and kind.
“We had fun together,” she said. “He was good to me.”
Then he started drinking. Walsh, an Army veteran, once spoke on “60 Minutes” about surviving a deadly 2004 attack in Baghdad and the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder.
Walsh’s behavior took a turn for the worst in the fall of 2011.
He verbally abused Ries-Pace. He called her unprintable names. He talked as if she were beneath him.
“I didn’t become scared of him until he started drinking so much,” she said.
He’d drink anything he could get his hands on, she said.
The night before the attack, Ries-Pace stayed home while Walsh went to Virginia to visit friends. She said he drank all day, then went barhopping. His temper rose with each drink.
Alexis was at a sleepover. Brown, who is hard of hearing, took prescription sleep medication and went to bed upstairs.
Walsh and Ries-Pace began exchanging heated text messages about his drinking. He accused her of cheating. She fell asleep in bed and awoke at 4:30 a.m. to Walsh ripping a curtain rod off the doorway.
Walsh kicked his dog and swung the rod, smashing a table. He swung again, striking Ries-Pace, and then kicked her into a closet wall.
Walsh kicked and stomped Ries-Pace repeatedly. Her grandmother slept through her screams.
Walsh put Ries-Pace in a chokehold, causing her to lose consciousness twice.
When she came to, Walsh told her she needed to die because of the amount of blood that covered the floor, walls and ceiling.
As Ries-Pace begged for her life, Walsh found a piece of glass and wrapped it in a cloth.
“I’ll make it fast,” he said.
“I need to use the bathroom,” she said.
And that is what saved her life.
Walsh calmed down. He was sobbing as he opened the bathroom door.
He gave Ries-Pace a bath, Advil and Tylenol PM.
Ries-Pace sent a text message to Alexis saying she’d been in a car accident.
The crime scene
The excuse didn’t fool her family, who immediately suspected Walsh. He told the family she’d been in a bar fight.
Ries-Pace was eventually taken to Baltimore Washington Medical Center in Glen Burnie, where Walsh stayed by her side. She was transferred to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore with a broken nose and orbital that required reconstructive surgery.
Days went by before the truth was revealed.
Ries-Pace convinced Walsh to visit his family in Illinois. She used the chance to meet with police and tell them about the violent attack.
The family members each packed a bag and went to stay elsewhere until Walsh’s arrest. They had the locks on the doors changed.
Police went to the basement apartment to investigate. There were so many bloodstains detectives used the alphabet twice while placing evidence markers.
The clean up

After Walsh’s arrest in January 2012, Ries-Pace returned home — to her own crime scene.
Some of what little cleanup had been done was by Walsh and Ries-Pace just after the assault.
“First thing (Walsh) had me do was clean the door,” she said. “The door. I thought I was going to die at that door.”
The basement apartment is small, with a bedroom, living room and bathroom. The ceilings are low.
Ries-Pace’s blood was spattered from floor to wall to ceiling.
She bought three gallons of paint to cover the walls and 30 bottles -$480 worth — of hydrogen peroxide.
“The nursing staff told me to use it,” she said. “That’s what they use to clean up blood.”
The boxes in which she put many of her belongings remain stacked in the garage. Cups collected from the Renaissance festival, five-wick candles.
Nothing fancy.
“But it was mine. This is my stuff. It meant something to me,” she said.
In January, Ries-Pace ripped the carpet from the floor. She couldn’t handle looking at the large blood stains.
“I can’t afford new carpet,” she said. “I’d just gotten that damn carpet.”
Blood remains in nooks and crannies, on the sofa, shower curtain and on light fixtures.
She will get to it.
Drowning in debt

Ries-Pace has a job at a local roofing company. She makes less than $30,000 a year. The paychecks aren’t enough.
She did not have health insurance at the time of the attack. She has medical bills and expenses for prescriptions and therapy sessions.
Medical Assistance helped cover her reconstructive surgery. She has four metal plates in her face. She now has to wear glasses and her left eye now sits 2 millimeters farther back in her skull.
She has been advised to undergo an additional medical procedure to remove the 20-plus lashes pushing into her eyeball. But she can’t afford another medical bill.
Her trauma counselor doesn’t charge to see Ries-Pace.
“I am utterly drowning in debt.”
At the urging of Joan Stammintz, a victim advocate in the Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney’s Office, Ries-Pace applied for assistance from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board.
She said the board spent a year evaluating her claim, and recently denied it due to lack of proper paperwork. Emails went back and forth for months, and Ries-Pace grew increasingly frustrated.
It was one more thing to deal with.
She gathered every document she could. The Capital made an inquiry about Ries-Pace’s claim to the board last week. Within a day, a victims’ services coordinator contacted Reis-Pace to guide her through the process. So far that coordinator has approved $700 in lost wages and $250 for reimbursement for the cleanup.
There was apparently confusion over what documentation Ries-Pace still needed to provide.
State of fear

She still has nightmares and flashbacks. It is hard for her to sleep.
“Sometimes the visualizations are so unbearable that I have to get up and leave my own home.”
In tears, she runs out of the house — the crime scene. She gets in her car and drives until she can no longer see from the tears.
She pulls over and bawls.
Ries-Pace has been diagnosed with chronic post-traumatic stress disorder — the same disorder defense attorneys say drove Walsh to attack.
Walsh suffers flashbacks from Baghdad. She suffers flashbacks of Walsh.
“I live in a constant state of fear. Every noise, every shadow, every stranger,” she said.
She’s not alone.
Her daughter also struggles.
“All I can do now is go to school and struggle,” Alexis stated in a victim impact statement given to three county Circuit Court judges this month.
“Because all I can think about during class is what happened, why this happened and why this had to happen to my family.”
Brown also finds it hard to move on.
“I’m 73 years old and usually a strong person in dealing with tragedies of life, but I am not dealing well with this one at all,” she wrote the judges. “Maybe because I fear it is not over yet and may never be over.”
Prosecutors told Ries-Pace she may never have closure.
Walsh will eventually be released from prison. He will be eligible for a parole hearing in November 2032 — at age 50.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Quick update:

We tore out all the old studs and reframed the walls properly.

Insulation was installed and new green board drywall put up.

New door was fitted to bedroom and crown molding installed.

Hope to paint Saturday and put floor down Sunday.

Here's a link with some details.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/projects/after_the_crime/
Old 08-14-2013, 08:46 PM

You guys are AWESOME!! I have zero skills or time to contribute but I do have a ton of respect for the job you folks are doing! Y'all ROCK!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 PM

No too bad for a bunch of fishermen.

http://youtu.be/ixUovKdhfqE

After the crime: New home, new chapter
|
SEVERN (AP) — “This is the nicest place I’ve ever stayed in. And it’s mine,” a tearful Deanna Ries-Pace said as her renovated Severn basement apartment was revealed last week.
In a little less than two weeks, Capital reader Skip Zinck of Severn and his volunteer crew have transformed the once-cramped, darkly lit, blood-stained basement apartment on Thompson Avenue into a clean, updated and modern space where Ries-Pace can move forward.

The single mother was nearly killed by her boyfriend in the home. She didn’t have the money to move, forcing her to remain at the scene of the crime.
Zinck read Ries-Pace’s story in The Capital in June. With help from volunteers he found on an online fishing forum, TidalFish, Zinck offered to rehabilitate the apartment, free, with a goal of removing every bad memory of that awful night.
The crew also donated money to purchase furniture. Zinck is working on getting an electronics store to donate a flat-screen television.
Readers also flocked to help Ries-Pace, donating more than $2,600 to an online fundraising website.
The remodeling job is like something you’d see on TV.
On Aug. 7, Zinck scheduled Hydro Clean to remove the flooring and tear the walls down to studs.
The crew installed new drywall, trimming it with crown molding. An electrician completely rewired the unit, replacing fluorescent lights with recessed lighting with a dimmer switch. The cramped bedroom closet was torn down and rebuilt twice as large.
“I could hardly fit a clothes hanger in the old one,” Ries-Pace said.
The living room walls were painted a light gray that Ries-Pace picked out. The bedroom was painted light yellow.
Ries-Pace had already purchased Pergo flooring to replace the blood-stained carpet in her home. But she had no idea how to lay it herself. For months it sat stacked in the garage.
The crew found that it was just the right amount for the living and bedroom areas.
A kitchen nook was also created to give the basement the feel of an apartment. Before, Ries-Pace only had an old refrigerator. She washed dishes in the bathtub.
The volunteers placed a new kitchen sink unit in unused space along a wall and installed kitchen cabinets above it.
Matching cabinets were also hung next to the new refrigerator. Ries-Pace is getting a butcher-block kitchen cart to place under the cabinets to use as a counter and house her microwave.
The apartment is the single-family home of Ries-Pace’s grandmother, Betty Brown, 73. She grew up in the home and has lived in the basement as an adult.
As of last week, Brown and Ries-Pace had not seen the apartment for days. The crew did their best to keep them out until the big reveal.
As Ries-Pace shopped for furniture, the crew put the finishing touches on the apartment Aug. 18, framing the closet, installing cabinets and putting plates over electrical outlets.
Just before 4 p.m. they received a call that Ries-Pace was on her way home.
The crew grabbed brooms and screwdrivers to get last-minute work done. Zinck used a caulk gun to fill in any gaps between the cabinets and new walls.
Brown was the first one to enter. She was speechless at first.
“I’m flabbergasted,” she said, looking around. “Oh, you guys are too much.”
Minutes later, Ries-Pace walked into her new home. Tears streamed down her face.
“I have a sink,” she said, catching her breath. “This is like a vacation home.”
Ries-Pace hugged each crew member, holding tightest to Zinck.
“There is nothing left of him in this apartment,” she said, referring to the ex-boyfriend who attacked her. “Everything about that night, it’s gone.”
Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 PM

Skip, I'm sure you were beaming just as much as she was. I know you would be the first to credit all the help you had from friends, but you got the ball rolling. Great job to all involved
5th
Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Default wtg

wtg skip and crew. what a magnificent undertaking.
Retired and trying to catch some big stripers