Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 AM

You are right it may have been someone besides a commercial guy. Its hard to believe an organization would sponsor such as idea, but maybe a member of an organization. But who knows, it may have been a commercial guy as well. Until more information is known and someone is caught its just speculation.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM

3rd bust...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,4455242.story

Wow...
Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Timely with Griffin's reply wasn't it?

Giving a week difference in the verbal and written reply, makes the net setting, just about right. How do they hide the expense? Write off as Donation to NRP?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Anything is possible but I'm sure the truth will eventually come out and whoever did it will have a big problem on their hands...........Gary
Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Default Just the tip of the iceberg...

Keep up the great work DNR.

And when our Rec season opens, I hope the DNR has the staff and money to watch the many piers and ramps.

All poachers steal from all of us.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 PM

I see Brandy on Toilet Flush is putting up $2000 to aid in a petition.

$2000 will buy more net to call DNR about.

Will the 27' cork hold 900 yards?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Reds; I can only assume (and you know what they say about assuming) that you are a commercial waterman. I feel your pain. I am all pissed about PSCR and it is only a hobby of mine to fish. If fishing were my livelyhood, and someone was trying to either reduce it (as MSSA has called for), or shut down (as many rec's have called for), I too would be pi$$ed and very angry.

But, I think if you channeled your anger toward those that are causing the problem (poachers-both rec and comm), you would have more credibility. It does nothing to critisize Greg's boat. It's a wasted effort.

However, if I was the head of the Md Watermen (Larry Simms?), I would be calling for the strictest punishment possible for those who set those nets. If it was MSSA or CCA (which I personally think is a stretch), then those organizations should be banned from future fishing negotiations. And, if we find out they were set by commercial netters, I (Larry Simms) would be calling for the culprits (if found) to lose their gear (boat included), their liscense, and be banned from the water as a way to make a living.
Calling for such strict reprocussions on the poachers might stop the movement to ban ALL netting in the Chesapeake Bay.

I'll say this so you don't have to; I hope the above doesn't come across as "the pot calling the kettle black". I know I am guilty of calling out Brandon at every opportunity because of what he did to PSCR. And, I get the fact that you want to call out Greg because he endorses the MSSA position on restricting the net quota, however, you now have a bigger problem on your hands (a call for a complete ban on nets).

Encourage Larry Simms to work with DNR to remove all illegal nets from the bay in order to keep commercial watermen fishing and providing for their families.

I hope you take this in the "spirit" that it was intended. I can't say "I know how you feel", because it's not my "way of life" that's being threatened.

I believe serious reprocussions are going to be announced next year after DNR "reviews" the stock assessment in 2011. Both rec and comm are going to take a hit. Comm's, as well as rec's, need to get their house in order to help preserve their opportunity to catch these magnificent fish.

5th (Marty)
Old 02-03-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdCrappie View Post
Just wondering what's $6K to an organization like MSSA or even CCA? Probably a drop in the bucket?

What would stop someone in that group from buying 6000 ft of net. Setting out 3 -2000ft strings in different locations. Call DNR and give them the gps coordinates to the first one. Next day give them the gps coordinates to the 2nd one and then the same on the 3rd day.

How are they to lose?

It's a win, win, win situation -

1) Fish that are caught apparently get counted against the Commercial Quota so no more actual fish are taken from the water.

2) Money from those fish does not go to the honest Commercial fisherman, but to the DNR working to put the honest guy out of business.

3) Publicity - "Look at what those thieving Commercial waterman did, see what we are trying to stop"

But you're probably right Reds theory is just a conspiracy....yeah I bet.
Wow - this really is sounding like the Twilight Zone - there were only 2 nets found when I posted this........hmmmm....how did I guess there would be more?

Probably not some conservation group though. I mean Whale Wars is just a TV show. Right? GreenPeace doesn't really exist.....
Old 02-03-2011, 06:37 PM

Latest on TV is that the NRP may have used the black gps devises to track boats suspected of illegal activity. I hope they had a court order to place these on specific boats (sort of like a court order for wire tapping).

If they didn't have a court order, I will be screaming just as loud as the watermen.

Big Brother better have his ducks in order. If it was done legally, I don't know why DNR said they didn't know who layed the nets, and that catching the perp's would be a longshot.

5th (Marty)
Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 PM

On the way off chance these nets were put out by some one other then a commercial fisherman - how did they manage to set them just right to be loaded with fish ? A long gill net is not simple to deploy correctly.

Wait - Skip is friends with Greg - must have used his scuba gear to put Rockfish in the nets

I really hope the poacher (s) are caught.