Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 AM

Get him a bunch of packs of fish bites and some small hooks with a top and bottom rig and send him down to hang with my boy. Him and his buddies spent all fall fishing from docks and beaches in the community. They caught big perch (my son has a photo of a 13"er he got one afternoon), spot, small blues and small rock. I think they fished almost everyday for two months straight. They got the fever fishing with me over the summer.

I need to get a spot pen so they can fill it for me
Old 12-16-2010, 01:25 PM

and by the way....Why would anyone ever use anything else but a beetlespin or a super duper ?

They come in various types...Clam spins, peeler spins, grass shrimp spins, you name it !
Old 12-16-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
As a Christmas gift I got him a small bag at Bass Pro. They had a decent one with 4 boxes inside for about $15.00

I figured it's time, at age 10 that he get his own gear and start learning what to fill those boxes with.

If he has to buy his own lures, he'll have to learn which ones are effective and anytime I can get him reading is good.

I did cheat a little and gave him a head start; I bought a half dozen lures to fill his stocking with to get him started.

Mostly he'll be White Perch fishing and fishing for other panfish in the Magothy and some other brackish waters, as well as doing a little largemouth fishing on some favorite ponds and rivers.

I started him with what I consider to be some of the basic and essential lures for the above mention species.

A few Beetlespins
A Rebel crawldad
2 Super Dupers (I've been crushing WP with these for the past 3 years)
A nice Rapala RatlTrap in chrome/blue (Been catching decent Rockfish with this as well as Largemouth)
A few Spinnerbaits

For his birthday in Feb I'll get him a few topwater lures and start teaching him about Texas and Carolina rigging lizards and worms for bass and freshwater Pickerel.

So what are some other lures y'all would consider essential for a 10 year old? My boat is only 15' so it's not like we go out into big water...mostly on the Magothy and some eastern shore rivers. I got him a nice set of stainless steel cutting pliers too. Gotta' have the right tools to get the job done.

When I was his age we never used anything but live worms.
Good for you. Get him involved early and develop his love for the sport! I got all my kids tackle bags for their 2nd Christmas and they carried them everywhere they went for weeks!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
While I applaud your efforts to get your son into fishing at an early age, I see no mention of safety issues.

Personally, I would mash all the barbs. Secondly,a very small but important first aid kit, just in case. Above all, and take it from me, a pair of wire cutters. My son caught his finger with a treble hook. We ended up in the ER. But a pair of wire cutters, made the trip a little less painful. We ended up cutting the treble, leaving one hook in his finger.
I'm with you. I got him a very nice set of cutting pliers which will handle a hook nicely. He already has a very stocked first aid kit that he keeps in his backpack (minus the single packs of aspirin, etc since schools frown upon those things now), and he's pretty competent with sharply hooked lures and whatnot....I'm confident he doesn't need the barbs removed.

A decent set of polarized sunglasses would be a great idea though....and they double as safety glasses. . And errant hook in some flesh hurts, but losing an eye is forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Get him a bunch of packs of fish bites and some small hooks with a top and bottom rig and send him down to hang with my boy. Him and his buddies spent all fall fishing from docks and beaches in the community. They caught big perch (my son has a photo of a 13"er he got one afternoon), spot, small blues and small rock. I think they fished almost everyday for two months straight. They got the fever fishing with me over the summer.

I need to get a spot pen so they can fill it for me
He might've fished with him once or twice this summer. He spent a few days at the beach over on the Little Magothy wading out and catching a bunch of White Perch and a Pickerel or two.

Fishbites = great idea.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:07 PM

Best part about getting your boy a tackle bag....

He's a great kid !

Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 PM

Get him a 27 Judge or a 25 Maycraft to keep his tackle bag in.
They are only young once.
5th (Marty)
Old 12-20-2010, 10:49 PM

Now you are talkin !
Old 12-21-2010, 04:10 PM

Spot, glad to hear it. BUT don;t discount the barb mashing. For one you promote catch and release, and two, no matter how mature your son is for his age, " **** happens". Happy Holidays
Old 12-27-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Get him a 27 Judge or a 25 Maycraft to keep his tackle bag in.
They are only young once.
5th (Marty)
Funny thing about that....I think he would prefer the tackle instead.

But I know he'd be happy if his old man got a sweet ride like that....

I think he's gonna' end up with a small skiff sometime around his 13th birthday. He can handle my bass boat pretty well, and with no keel, more speed than he'll ever need and tricky trim controls they're a little more difficult to handle than most other small boats.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:10 PM

When my son was 14 he had a 15ft skiff with a 15 hp chrysler motor. He thought he was king of the river until his 16th birthday and he discovered girls and cars.
5th (Marty)