Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Got my boy his first tackle bag

As a Christmas gift I got him a small bag at Bass Pro. They had a decent one with 4 boxes inside for about $15.00

I figured it's time, at age 10 that he get his own gear and start learning what to fill those boxes with.

If he has to buy his own lures, he'll have to learn which ones are effective and anytime I can get him reading is good.

I did cheat a little and gave him a head start; I bought a half dozen lures to fill his stocking with to get him started.

Mostly he'll be White Perch fishing and fishing for other panfish in the Magothy and some other brackish waters, as well as doing a little largemouth fishing on some favorite ponds and rivers.

I started him with what I consider to be some of the basic and essential lures for the above mention species.

A few Beetlespins
A Rebel crawldad
2 Super Dupers (I've been crushing WP with these for the past 3 years)
A nice Rapala RatlTrap in chrome/blue (Been catching decent Rockfish with this as well as Largemouth)
A few Spinnerbaits

For his birthday in Feb I'll get him a few topwater lures and start teaching him about Texas and Carolina rigging lizards and worms for bass and freshwater Pickerel.

So what are some other lures y'all would consider essential for a 10 year old? My boat is only 15' so it's not like we go out into big water...mostly on the Magothy and some eastern shore rivers. I got him a nice set of stainless steel cutting pliers too. Gotta' have the right tools to get the job done.

When I was his age we never used anything but live worms.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 PM

Good on you! That is a great gift. I went a little overboard last year for my Son's 9th birthday. I bought him a Steve F custom rod and a Stradic 3000 reel. He just loves to fish so much, I couldn't help myself. I never had anything like that growing up Fishing with your Son is the best fishing ever! Get him some top and bottom rigs and bloodworm and go to Hacketts! Enjoy him.............Gary
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 PM

I never fish fresh water without two things; a number 4 mepps spinner in white or chartruse and a couple small gold hooks and a bubbler full of shiners from Clydes tackle shop.
5th (Marty)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:01 AM

sweet stocking stuffers!

probably 90% of my fishing is for WP before work at first light, casting along a pier. that is my time. no pressure, just casting and enjoyment of fishing. i always liked the beetlespins but have started thowing the very small blue/chrome ratltrap also. my neighbor vertical jigs pilings or drags his mepps with mad success. i'll have to find out what the super dupers are and give them a try.

i have a new Christmas tradition as of last year - i take a lure that my daughter has caught fish on, file the points off, write fish size and date with a sharpie and call it a Christmas tree ornament. i have ornaments from when i was a kid and i hope these will last her a lifetime. her personal best lure is 3/4 oz rat l trap labeled 23 1/2" rock. tree's getting a green/chrome drone labeled for her 21" spanish mack this year.

but i am getting some complaints about our 'best hooks' getting put on the tree,...

ps - Marty's in Edgewater is a great place to take care of all your tree-trimming needs.

Last edited by Southerly; 12-14-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: to thank Jim for advice he's given me.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerly View Post
i have a new Christmas tradition as of last year - i take a lure that my daughter has caught fish on, file the points off, write fish size and date with a sharpie and call it a Christmas tree ornament. i have ornaments from when i was a kid and i hope these will last her a lifetime. her personal best lure is 3/4 oz rat l trap labeled 23 1/2" rock. tree's getting a green/chrome drone labeled for her 21" spanish mack this year.

but i am getting some complaints about our 'best hooks' getting put on the tree,...

ps - Marty's in Edgewater is a great place to take care of all your tree-trimming needs.
Thats awesome!

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 PM

A Tony #13 in silver is a great summer / fall lure for casting in shallows.
It will catch Perch and Rock plus any Blues in the area.

It has a single hook so not as likely to snag.

Sounds like " Santa " set him up right well .
Old 12-15-2010, 09:30 AM

Good stuff fellas.

The Mepps and Tony are getting picked up today.

I totally dig the idea of making Christmas ornaments out of successful lures; our tree is decorated with nothing but things the kids have made or things that have significant meaning.

Marty - I was at Clyde's on Saturday. It seems that some do-gooders from Baltimore are giving them a hard time because they sell firearms.

I bought $60 worth of fishing gear that I would have bought somewhere else to show my support for Clyde's. When I lived in Brooklyn Park I went there a lot but when I moved to Annapolis almost 6 years ago I started using Anglers and Chesapeake Outdoors.

I hope "Santa" doesn't get carried away buying himself toomuch fishing stuff today....
Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM

I am lucky enough to have Fish Bones right around the corner from the house, but Clydes is on my way home from work and always has great service and willing to do whatever they can to help folks out....

Just a shame that its so hard to keep those small, yet excellent businesses running....Thanks to those guys for giving us an alternative to Ass Pro....
Old 12-15-2010, 02:11 PM

I'd add some 2" powergrubs and 1/16 lead heads. I've probably caught more fish on twister tail grubs then all other lures combined.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 AM

Default Safety, Safety, Safety......

While I applaud your efforts to get your son into fishing at an early age, I see no mention of safety issues.

Personally, I would mash all the barbs. Secondly,a very small but important first aid kit, just in case. Above all, and take it from me, a pair of wire cutters. My son caught his finger with a treble hook. We ended up in the ER. But a pair of wire cutters, made the trip a little less painful. We ended up cutting the treble, leaving one hook in his finger.