Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Gear, Tackle, Electronics

Old 01-03-2010, 03:53 PM

Default Airmar for Garmin??

I have an older Garmin 320C Fishfinder, I am considering changing out the standard 50/200 transom mounted transducer in favor of say, an Airmar 50/200 thru-hull. Wondering if there would be any benefits and or if it's worth the change and more importantly drilling the big hole?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 AM

I have a thru hull tilted element and wish I had a transom mount. A transom mount will give you a paddle wheel for through water speed. Stick with the transom mount.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 PM

If your not having any problems with the transom mount ducer then leave it alone. On my last boat I would always loose bottom at speeds over about 10mph. I moved it a few times and could never get it in a good spot. I got an Airmar transducer that "shot" through the hull and it was great. My new boat has the tilted element like Greg's (b-faithful). Works great.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Default Ducers

Mine seems to do okay, no real issue with losing the bottom but, always looking for the edge! Was hoping the difference between a stock ducer versus the Airmar would be give the finder much better performance. Greg, figured I'd leave the paddlewheel back there, the Airmar and Garmin for that matter both have 12 degree elements and the one I would get would be the bore a BIG hole in the bottom permanent one

BUT, if it's not going to make the picture any prettier then yep, may aswell keep what I have.

Thanks guys..
Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 AM

I need to get a transom mount for this purpose. A transformer mount will help t get you a paddle wheel just for increasing the pace of water for fishing.

Last edited by interangler; 03-01-2014 at 12:23 AM.