Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-22-2011, 10:42 AM

Default Great start to summer

Fellow TFer BCFD ( Mike ) put out a HO available and I gave me a call with an offer.
If he would help me on a dive trip - we could fish as well. He had a boat and can run mine if a problem arose while underwater. We met at Sandy Point at 5:30 am and Mike had his girlfriend Vanessa along. She was excited about going out on the bay for first time. I was leery - seeing the flags moving in the south breeze.

Going out of Sandy Point - looked OK , more roll then chop. Had to dodge some crab trap floats near bridge - crazy to pit them east of the jetty.

Ran to Hacketts and looked around for Spot. TFer Drichitt ( Don ) was there as well and we split up to try to find the bait. Don drifted while we anchored over promising blips on bottom. We baited up with bloodworms in 19 feet and picked away at little Perch. Vanessa was having fun and teasing Mike she was out fishing him. No lie - it was 10 to 1. His excuse was he had to unhook her fish but that got thrown out the window when I loaned her a Fish Off glove.

We moved 5-6 times trying to find Spot among the Perch and 4-6 inch baby Rockfish. We were lucky though - about half the Perch were tiny 3-5 inchers that will work , some what - for live lining. Don called on radio and he had only gotten 1 Spot. He tried farther south of can and got two Croakers. Knowing these often travel with Spot - he anchored and called us over. You had to be there to believe this but we watched them get about 25 Spot and we only got about 6. We were anchored just 30 feet away. Moved to the other side and same thing. Fellow TFer Mlag showed up to join the party. We both watched Don and his buddy reel in Spot. No worries though as I knew Don would share some of the prized baits with us. It was now about 9:30 - finding Spot ate up a lot more time then we thought. Current was going in nicely and we decided to go live lining - then use Don's side scan to locate a lost propeller near Cantler's.

We ran to an area in 30 feet to try and catch some Rockfish. Vanessa was finding it tough to believe the 6-8 inch Spot would be eaten by a Rockfish. Mike has LL before and we hoped she would see it first hand. Glad wind was with the current as we anchored and sent over the frisky Spot. As most first time live liners do - Vanessa thought the Spot moving was nibbles. We explained the Rock would hit with a THUMP but it's tough to understand until you feel it. Sorta like trying to explain to someone how to ride a bike.

Took about 10 minutes but my Spot got nervous - then THUMP . I showed Vanessa how to let 5 seconds of line go - then set the hook. That part she understood but then when hook pulled free - she thought it better to land the fish - OUCH. No worries as Mike hooked up next but his fish folded the hook into the Spot - damn. I put over a fresh Spot and this time went as planned and fish stayed hooked. I handed Vanessa the rod and she reeled in a nice 23 incher.
Great start but then she began giving Mike more kidding about catching a Rock.

It was teasing in a good way and we all had fun. Vanessa got a hit but missed it - but no big deal as I hooked up right behind her. Nice 22 incher. Mike got a 24 to claim biggest of the day. The Spot were nice size and Vanessa was amazed at how the Rock just swallowed them whole. I had a THUD hit - oh yeah , big fish but the crafty Rock stripped the Spot off the hook. As I reeled in to rebait - Vanessa said she had one. I looked up to see her being pulled to the corner by a fish. Mike and I offered advice as she struggled with the fish. It ran towards the bow but luckily did not go far enough to get into the anchor rode. She did her best as the fish then U turned under the boat. Good luck smiled as the braid just missed the lower units. Fish came near surface and was soon in the net. Fat 33 incher was one heck of a surprise.

Vanessa let Mike know her fish was much bigger then his - so he dug into the live well and put over one of our last Spot. I tried the Perch and got a 17 incher. Put out a bigger Perch just as Mike got a hit. No doubt another good fish as it pulled hard and ran deep under the boat. Mike had to wrestle it up but Vanessa did a good job netting the 29 incher. No where near as long or as fat as the big one but still a great summer fish. Fish was missing one eye.

I got hit and Mike carefully reached over to release the very lucky 22 ish Rock.

With our six Rock limit - we ran to Cantlers to set up to dive. Don got there shortly after - they had a two person limit as well.

Don's side scan showed the prop in the silt - clear as a bell. I tried for about two hours to find it but figure it is about 18 inches into the soft silt. Don figures his side scan showed the prop's impact crater because after I came up - he could not " see " it anymore. I did find old bottles while probing the thick silt with a metal pole. Frustrating to know I had to be within inches of the 26 inch , four bladed prop.

We ran back over a choppy bay but breeze felt nice in the heat.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:53 PM

What a terrific day! Congrats on getting your limit.

Let's hope it just keeps on getting better and better.