Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 AM

Default Send E mail today ( Friday ) for water access in AA county

Arundel County is setting 15 year goals in place - be great if water access was high up on that list.

More E mails they get - the better. Only takes a few minutes of your time - just be sure to include improving water access in your E mail.

http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/lpprp_2013.cfm

Arundel County has hundreds of miles of shoreline but very little is open to public. It will be a tough job but more access can be provided - if enough people demand it.

Would love to hear AA county received a lot of E mails - sorry for last minute notice - just received word myself.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM

I sent my comments.

One of the really cool things about the eastern shore counties is their willingness to put ramps and other water access in places where AA county wouldn't even consider it. Driving around the shore, you'll find dozens and dozens of small ramps where their might be parking for only a few vehicles.

AA County always thinks it has to be the biggest and grandest or it isn't worth doing.

I've launched my boat into ponds on muddy inclines that resembled a boat ramp for God's sake.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM

Spot - I'm involved with a group trying to get more access to water in AA county.

It is a very slow process but we are making headway.

We have found a fair amount of county owed sites that will allow 3-5 trucks to park - perfect for car top / kayaks. A few might ( stress might ) even offer a small ramp.

The goal is to have access on each county river - hopefully on both sides.

It's really just a matter of putting the pieces together. There is funding , there is land , there is the need - now there is a group willing to do it.

We all have fingers crossed but ramps at Fort Smallwood looks like 95% sure thing.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

We all have fingers crossed but ramps at Fort Smallwood looks like 95% sure thing.
Skip thanks for the link. Comments sent.....

If there is anything we can do to help with Ft Smallwood ramp let us know. Just would love to see the project done correctly. A good facility to modeled after is Sandy Point as far as angles length of ramps for long trailers, and steepness of ramps so the water is deep enough to launch. Obviously the Ft small Wood project would have fewer ramps.

Ft Small Wood is great since AA county took it over from Baltimore. The facility is great and coould be a premier facility for AA county. They need to get this done

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 01-18-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 PM

Fish Nut - I'll find out more details in Feb.

I do know the plans are drawn - looks to be 3 or 4 aprons - similar to PLO.

Although not final - looked like parking for 50 or so truck / trailers.

The next hurdle will be all the various permits. We hope to be able to expedite the process. Since it is wetlands - much stricter then normal.

The goal is to begin work in fall and complete it in spring of 2014.

There is also a fair amount of electrical work for lighting.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 PM

Not to take away from the importance of Ft Smallwood (because I do think that should be a priority) but I'd love to see some kind of small launch way upriver in the Magothy. A Cartop launch up there would be awesome.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Not to take away from the importance of Ft Smallwood (because I do think that should be a priority) but I'd love to see some kind of small launch way upriver in the Magothy. A Cartop launch up there would be awesome.

Spot,,, The Magothy River association has taken an interest in Beachwood Park.

They have been talking to the county trying to get additional funds to help repair the steps, and get some sort of regular trash pick up. they are also looking to get some additional items added for water access. it seems like funding is the big sticking point. Magothy river associations wants to increase the use of the river and is interested it getting as many access points as possible to showcase the river. Bach wood park may be a great location for a roof top launch for small yaks and canoes.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 AM

Done, thanks for the heads up.

I used a free public ramp in St Marys County that was one of the best ramps I have ever launched on.

Piney Point Recreation Area

St. George Creek
St. Mary's

17139 Piney Point Road, Piney Point MD 20674

MD Route 5 to MD Route 249 south, on the east side of the road, before St. George Island Bridge

Restrooms Available: Parking - Cars: Parking - Trailers: Parking Lot
Old 01-19-2013, 11:24 PM

Done...and thanks to Skip for the heads up....